Anyone use a Tipton Best Gun Vise?

This is a discussion on Anyone use a Tipton Best Gun Vise? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like the title says, is the Tipton "Best Gun Vise" ( Tipton Best Gun Vise ) a worthwhile addition to my supplies? I am currently ...

Thread: Anyone use a Tipton Best Gun Vise?

Like the title says, is the Tipton "Best Gun Vise" (Tipton Best Gun Vise) a worthwhile addition to my supplies?

I am currently looking for some sort of vise/stand that would be beneficial to have for mounting scopes, assembling lowers, ect... as well as cleaning and routine maintenance.

Granted, I am sure having a vise on my 600 pound, rock solid reloading/workbench would be the best plan, but with my current living situation, that is not an option.

If there are better options out there in the <$100 range, I would like to hear about those as well.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    I do. It's sitting right behind me. It's a great gun vise for under $100. You can work on pistols, rifles, and AR variants with it. I've used mine quite a bit and I'm very happy with it. It's good for what it is. Just remember that plastic has limitations and you'll be fine.
    Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

Yeah, the plastic construction does concern me a little bit.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I don't own one, but I regularly use a borrowed one. Completely satisfied!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Yeah, the plastic construction does concern me a little bit.
    Don't go ape with a hammer or try to stand on it and you'll be fine. Go check out the amazon reviews for it, too. Those will give you a lot of information.

I did a lot of research and this is the best one money can buy for a reasonable price. It'll do everything you need for it to do.

Four and a half stars average from all these reviews is pretty darn good.
    Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

I have one. The only thing I use it for is mounting scopes.
    I use this one much more for general gun holding and cleaning Amazon.com : Tipton Gun Butler : Hunting Cleaning And Maintenance Products : Sports & Outdoors
    The "vise" is a joke, but it will hold a rifle level for scope mounting, provided you don't torque on the rifle too much.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I have one. The only thing I use it for is mounting scopes.
    I use this one much more for general gun holding and cleaning Amazon.com : Tipton Gun Butler : Hunting Cleaning And Maintenance Products : Sports & Outdoors
    The "vise" is a joke, but it will hold a rifle level for scope mounting, provided you don't torque on the rifle too much.
    Yeah. I wouldn't try to torque an AR barrel in a plastic gun vise. But I do a lot more than PA with mine. I've gutted and customized my 10/22. I've done mods to my Springfield XD Tactical. And, of course, I've used it for cleaning. The sliding L piece lets you do just about anything from a long handgun barrel to a rifle action removed from the stock.

Like I said, I've got no complaints and you'll really like it, as long as you don't have unrealistic expectations. Like tightening an AR barrel to torque specs in that vise.

Had one for years, mostly use it to clean ARs. Completely satisfied.

Distinguished Member Array JDavisArk's Avatar
    Not for that price IMO. You can find something just as functional for half that easy.
    Honestly and thinking about the pic from your link. How many folks don't bother to pull the front pin on their AR and clean the upper half and lower half separately?
    MTM Gun Vise
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

Distinguished Member
    You can do either with the Tipton, JD. Move the middle if you keep them together it rest part of the rifle on it for support if you've pulled the pin

I've had one for 3-4 years now. I use it regularly for cleaning my AR and mounting a scope on my M1A. I could probably use it for other rifles and shotguns - just haven't thought of it when I'm cleaning them. It's more than durable enough for those types of operations, and I'm very satisfied with it.

Sponsor
    I considered getting a "vice" for maintenance and cleaning but I already have the Caldwell Matrix rest. It's not a great shooting rest but it works well for periodic maintenance, anything that doesn't require a vice block or reaction rod.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links