Surefire vs Streamlight - Page 2

Surefire vs Streamlight

This is a discussion on Surefire vs Streamlight within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and kids know that the SureFire G2 is on my duty belt and hereby OFF-LIMITS! My SureFire E2e rests on top of my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire vs Streamlight

My wife and kids know that the SureFire G2 is on my duty belt and hereby OFF-LIMITS! My SureFire E2e rests on top of my dresser but it's OFF-LIMITS as well. I have a Brinkmann "Maxfire" on my dresser that they can "borrow" if they need a light. Has anybody seen these? Neat little lights, similar to the SureFire G2 - just not as much "throw." BUT...for $20, it's worth every penny!

I also have a big ol' 4 cell MagLite in my top drawer but for some reason they don't ever wanna use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    I just picked up a Streamlight Scorpion and can't tell the difference between that and my G2.
    I have an old Scorpion. Now they have the Scorpion LED as well. Which one do you have?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Scorpion LED.

I'm actually in the middle of doing a product comparison between the G2 and the Scorpion LED for this product http://www.rogueelite.net/shop/item....d=112&catid=17

We're trying to figure out which one we should carry as we're going to have a package deal with the Ultimate Retention Device and a G2 or Scorpion LED.

Hard to say which one is better. I prefer an LED.

I'm watching this thread closely.

I would stick with the Scorpion LED. I have a Streamlight TL-2 LED that has the same head as the Scorpion LED. The Streamlights output is about half of the G2's but its more reliable and the batteries last ALOT longer. I have a G2 as well and I'm just much more confident on my Streamlight.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...urefire_g2.htm

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...corpionled.htm

Thats just me though. Everyon has different oppinions.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I like an LED for clearing a room, but I gotta have a Xenon for just utility use...the throw is so much better!

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    The Fenix L2D better than any LED flashlight made by Surefire or Streamlight IMO.
    Features:
    * Price? About $55. CAN NOT BEAT IT!!!
    http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=195
    I just bought a Fenix ( different model though) about 3 weeks ago. Very nice quality !! I'll definitely buy another when needed !! FWIW.... mike

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Don't know how to answer this one. I have a Surefire 6P thats been with me since 1987ish and sits on my desk right now and gets carried when I'm not cooped up at home on injury leave (that means when I have to work for the money). I have a Stinger and Scorpion but neither really impressed me enough to give up my 6P (or 6Zs). Off duty I carry a Surefire E2 and love it as well. Havent had to buy a new light so I dont own a large LED light but the one thing I like about Surefires that I couldnt do with Streamlights is I can change the bulb to a stronger power or use the light power ones. Both are very bright but I liked being able to switch depending on the assignment and need for battery life.

The only LED experience I've had is with the Photon lights. Liked the Photon 1s, LOVE the Photon 2s and didnt care for the Photon 3s. I have about ten Photon 2s around the house on key chains, necklaces, badge chain, ect. Can promise you that they'll light up a warehouse enough to clear it with, but thats another topic.

For me, I'll pay the money and stick with the higher end Surefires but I might get a G something or other for the truck.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I've owned Streamlights and SureFires and IMHO, SureFires win - hands down! I'm back up to 2 now - I was down to just my E2e, but I finally got my G2 back a few weeks ago. I plan on ordering another G2 in OD Green to match my OD Glock 22.

Gotta love OD Green!

ckd
    Surefire and Streamlight are great companys with great products. The parables provided support the two most common failures: rechargeables are always an when, and bulbs break/blow at the worst possible moment. I have a few LED lights, none rechargeable, and carry a spare scorpion (LED version is 1/2 as bright) as a backup, which I can steal the batteries from if I prefer. Have a Blackhawk Gladius, can be had for roughly $140 with holder, lanyard and batteries, but any name brand LED equal or greater than 3 watts/roughly 80 lumens or more, should do.

The few off brand LEDs I've tried are cheap for a reason, switches being the biggest failure point, and as a LEO you need a reliable light, stay with the big names.

Wow, there are many different opinions here. Well I ordered a G2 and an E2e from Surefire. I should have them in a couple of days. I will compare them to my Strion. Either way it doesn't matter...you can never have too many flashlights. I probably have 10 or 11 flashlights floating around my house.

I have rechargeables, battery operated and the ones that you shake for a charge. I also have a small LED that attaches to my ear. I use that in the morning while I get dressed so that I do not wake my wife.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I probably have 10 or 11 flashlights floating around my house.
    Amateur. :D ;)
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I received my G2 and E2e today. They seem pretty bright. They seem brighter than my Strion (although I don't think it has a full charge). I'll charge my Strion while I'm on the road tonight and then compare.

The G2 is a little smaller than my Strion, not much. And the E2e seems like it will make an excellent back up and off-duty light.

Glock 'em down, thanks for the idea of carrying extra batteries. I have two lithiums in my pocket right now.

I'll post later after I compare the lights.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I fully charged my Strion and it lost. The Surefire G2 and E2e are both brighter than the Streamlight Strion. I am very pleased.

The G2 luckily fits in the same holder that I had my Strion in. The E2e clips nicely in the small pocket underneath the back pocket of my uniform pants. The G2 stays available to just the push of the button. The E2e I left locked out so that it won't go on accidentally when I sit down.

I conducted a car stop a short time ago and was pleased with how well the G2 lit up the interior of the vehicle.

I am still going to keep my Strion in my bag just in case.

Thanks to all for the input.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

If you will do a "side-by-side" comparison of the G2 and the E2e, in a basketball gym or BIG room, if possible - something with some length - you will notice that the G2 has a little more throw than the E2e. I said a little more because the E2e has throw from hell considering it's size, but it tends to have more of a "flood" factor to it and the G2 is just a stright spot. Does your E2e have the "clicky" tailcap? Mine doesn't and it is much harder to depress than the G2's button - therefore I do not have mine locked out like you do.

Congrats on the new lights...but beware...SureFire's are like potato chips - you can't have just one...or two!

Oh! I forgot to ask...what kind of carrier do you have the G2 in?

As far as on a duty belt goes, I think the Blackhawk CQC carbon fiber carrier is prolly the best. It has the perfect recess in the bottom and it is damned near IMPOSSIBLE to turn on your light when it's in there. I did have a Bianchi Accumold, and threw it away! Everytime I sat down, I would feel this burning sensation on my left side of my waist!

Anyway...on my duty rig, I used to carry the Blackhawk CQC carrier mounted on Blackhawk's "Dual rail accessory platform" next to a CQC mag pouch that carried a multi-tool. But I hardly ever wear the duty rig anymore since I work "plain clothes" nowadays.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links