Surefire vs Streamlight

Surefire vs Streamlight

This is a discussion on Surefire vs Streamlight within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For over 11 years as an LEO I've always carried Streamlight rechargeables. I've had a Stinger, Stinger XT and now the Strion. They have all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire vs Streamlight

Surefire vs Streamlight

For over 11 years as an LEO I've always carried Streamlight rechargeables. I've had a Stinger, Stinger XT and now the Strion. They have all worked well for me. I have a 3D Maglight that I keep in my bag as a back up light. But I really want a small light on my person in case the primary light goes down while I'm in a dark location with a BG.

I've been looking at the Surefire line and I like a lot of their small lights that have a clip attachment.

My Streamlights are pretty bright (15,000 and 12,000 candle power), but are the LED lights on the Surefire brighter? Does anyone own a Streamlight with a xenon bulb and a Surefire with a LED bulb that can tell me which is brighter?

I'm still going to keep my Strion on my duty belt, but I just want some advice on what to clip into my pocket. The second light could also be carried off-duty as right now I have a small Coast key chain light in my pocket that is only effective for short distances.

Thanks.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

The thing about the LED is the "throw" that the light will produce. LED's are great for lighting up a room, but for illuminating something far off? Forget about it! And as far as a back-up light on your person? I would ditch the Strion and get a SureFire G2...let me tell you why...

A little over a year ago I was on patrol when an officer from another agency got into a pursuit which ended between his jurisdiction and mine. The driver bailed out of the car (like they usually do) and proceeded to head to the woods! The officer immediately called for back up and myself (and alot of others) arrived to assist. Well, it turned into an all out manhunt. During the manhunt in the dense wooded area, lo and behold my Streamlight SL-20 decides to go out after about 20 or so minutes of SEMI-continuous use. Hey! No problem! I whip out my Streamlight Strion and continue the search. Well...guess what? After about another 20 - 30 minutes, the damned STRION goes out too! I'm left out there with a little keychain LED light to guide myself back to the car and head home like a whipped dog.

Anyway...what I'm trying to tell you is, since that day I carry 2 SureFires on duty with me EVERYDAY - a G2 on my belt and an E2e clipped inside my pocket.

"You had 2 lights that day and THEY both died on you!" you say...

You're right - they did. However...with the SureFires you can carry spare batteries and change them out on the spot!

Just something to think about!

Administrator
    I cant answer your question, but all the "light nerds" on my PD swear by the G2. They have been talking me into getting one, and I will soon. The ones they have seem to last a long time, and they are small enough to be a backup light.

Right now my back up light is a old stinger that needs to be replaced, and primary is a big Streamlight. I don't know what model it is, but its a good torch. It has the regular light and an led mode when you dont need a super bright light.
    "Just blame Sixto"

And if you DO get a SureFire...whether it be a 6P, 9P (AWSOME light), G2 or an E2e (my personal favorite!) be sure and pick up SureFire's "SC1" carrier. This is a polymer watertight/airtight container that houses 6 lithium batteries and a spare bulb. I carry it in my SHTF bag.

Handy little accessory!

E2e For Me...

Mine has worked extremely well. I carry the storage container with 4 batteries and 1 bulb...in the car. The light is 60-65 lumens, bright enough for any job!

A while back I purchased several boxes of batteries...their price is climbing like a hot air balloon...invest in some not...prices have doubled in the last 1.5 to 2 years. (Shelf life of 10 years.)

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Click on to www.lighthound.com and send an email to my buddy John Crighton. He's down in Pearland, Texas - close to Houston and I get all of my SureFire's and SF parts and batts from him - ******* nice guy! I can get Energizer lithium batteries for ABOUT $25 a dozen! DELIVERED!!

He sells brand new SureFire G2's (in all of the colors) for $35 SHIPPED!

$35? Forget about it! There's no excuse why EVERYONE shouldn't own AT LEAST one SureFire G2!

But beware! SureFire's are kinda like potato chips...if you buy one...you'll want another, and another, and another!

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    The Fenix L2D better than any LED flashlight made by Surefire or Streamlight IMO.
    Features:
    * Utilizes a Cree 7090 XR-E LED
    * Two modes of output, selected by turning the bezel (patented)
    * General Mode: 9 lumens (55hrs) -> 40 lumens (10.5hrs) -> 80 lumens (4hrs) -> SOS
    * Turbo Mode: 135 lumens (2.4hrs) -> Strobe
    * Digitally Regulated for Constant Brightness
    * Uses two 1.5V AA ( Alkaline, NiMH, Lithium ) batteries (not included), inexpensive and widely available
    * 14.7cm (L) x 2.1cm (D)
    * Made of aircraft grade aluminum
    * Durable Type III hard anodized finish
    * 56-gram weight (excluding batteries)
    * Water-resistant (dunkable)
    * Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating
    * Push-button tail cap switch
    * Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle
    * Batteries not included

Price? About $55. CAN NOT BEAT IT!!!
    http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=195
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Administrator
    His prices are very good! Thanks for posting that link.

MP, the problem with the Fenix and other less known brands is the holders for an LEO's belts... Do you know where one for the Fenix could be had? I would be interested in trying one out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    His prices are very good! Thanks for posting that link.
    I've spent A LOT of money at John's place...BUT...I could have spent A LOT MORE! It's my pleasure to advertise for him and by all means, the absolute LEAST I can do for him...He's a ******* guy - I can't say that enough!

A ******* GUY!!!

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Glock 'em down, thanks for the link, I think that I will be getting a G2 and an E2e for a backup.

I never used to carry two lights. When I worked in the NYPD I only carried one light. Then I resigned and joined another agency that covered some pretty rough areas as well. One night I responded to an alarm at an auto parts store that ended up having an open side door. It was about 3 am and another PO and I were clearing the place. I had a Stinger XT at the time. The bulb blew and I had no other light. Luckily the guy I was with had a light on his Glock, so he tossed me his other light and we finished clearing the location with no one found and nothing taken by the way.

I went out and bought a little Scorpion to have as a back up that I carried for many years.

Now I work in a quiet little Village and I was looking to lighten the duty belt a bit. So I retired the XT and got the Strion for the belt and put a 3D Maglight in my bag.

So when I get my new lights, I'll carry both Surefires and leave the Strion on the charger in my RMP.

Thanks again to all for the positive feedback.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Don't get me wrong...the Strion is a good light, as is the Stinger and even the big ol' clunky SL-20. But...WHEN (not if) they go dead - they are GRAVEYARD DEAD! They are destined for a night in the charger.

But with a SureFire...just pop in another pair of batts - good to go!

If you are looking for one that packs a good wallop in a small package, check out the SureFire 9P...super bright and only about an inch - inch and a half longer than a 6P...it takes 3 batts instead of 2 like the 6P/G2...NICE light!

OK, well I can't attest about the LED lights from Streamlight or Surefire, but I can talk about LED lights in general. Most LED lights (by themselves) are called 5mm, or 0.5 watt LEDs.

In the picture above you are looking at a flashlight with 32 regular, 0.5 watt LEDs (left). The other is the same picture with a 3-watt LED from Essential Gear (link). Given that there is no flash from the camera and it's a digital camera, you know that it's much brighter than what's shown. It'll give you the idea, though.

The 3-watt single LED flashlight (link) produces 80 lumen which is comparable to many of the Surefire and Streamlights out that are not LED. Essential Gear also makes a 5-watt single LED flashlight that produces 120 lumens (link). The 3- and 5-watt LEDs are relatively new and have conventional reflectors rather than some specialized one.

I paid about $65 for my 3-watt and the 5-watt sells for about $125 (you can buy on the site). I am very happy with my 3-watt and it's plenty bright enough to light up an entire room on the ambient light alone with a nice focus on what I'm pointing it at. Very good deal for the price. Both the 3-watt and 5-watt LED technology are relatively new so the prices are usually high. Phillips (the technology company) is the one that makes the LEDs by themselves (e.g. not the flashlight) and they're manufactured under the name Luxeon Star if you happen to come across them somewhere.

Cheers.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

I just picked up a Streamlight Scorpion and can't tell the difference between that and my G2.

I love streamlight. They are great lights. I'm warming up to Surefire. They are nice to look at. :) My Streamlights have NEVER failed me. I have had two Surefire lights fail on me. One was a P60 LA and the other was a tailcap switch on a E1L. Surefire Customer Service took care of me very quickly and effeciantly. But, when you butt is on the line, how good is a warranty and good CS?

I tend to like LED's alot better than conventional bulbs. They will not go out unless something catastrophic happens.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

+1 for the SureFire G2. It's treated me so well I had to buy another because a family member "borrowed" the first one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links