LaserShield Home Security

This is a discussion on LaserShield Home Security within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is an interesting and well thought out high quality system. Especially for folks who are renting an apartment or who move around a lot. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LaserShield Home Security

Administrator

This is an interesting and well thought out high quality system. Especially for folks who are renting an apartment or who move around a lot.

Starter kit at $199.00

Click Here To Visit The Site

I already have "whole house" so I do not need this but, I kept on hearing their radio advertisements and so decided to check them out on the web.

You could set the single unit starter system up strategically to cover yourself while sleeping covers a wide area.
    Check out their Vids on the site if you're interested.
    Last edited by QKShooter; February 15th, 2007 at 04:51 PM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Heard their radio ads and have been meaning to check them out, thanks....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    What about an affordable "Intruder Alert" system for someone prowling around your yard or carport?
    For God, Family and Country!

possible points of failure:
    If plug in, someone can cut the electricity
    If wireless, someone (technically adept) can jam the signal

Wired security system and large faithful well fed dog. Maybe for travelling and hotel stay.

Just a thought... If you do not own your own place, but rent it, most landlords/administrations will not allow you to install fixed alarm systems. So, this may be an option in those instances.
    Last edited by cagueits; February 16th, 2007 at 12:15 AM.

Sounds like a good idea. It should give you time to get ready if you have intruders.

Ok, checked this thing out and I'm seriously thinking about buying one (I want something to wake me up if someone silently goes through the front door of my apartment while I am asleep in the my bedroom). Any last thoughts I should consider?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    possible points of failure:
    If plug in, someone can cut the electricity
    If wireless, someone (technically adept) can jam the signal

Wired security system and large faithful well fed dog. Maybe for travelling and hotel stay.
    If someone is intelligent enough to jam a wireless alarm, then the place they are breaking into should be able to afford a better system than this... conversely, if a system such as this is deemed adequate for your(my) needs, then the thief is intelligent enough to realize there are more lucrative targets out there.

I just want to point out my take on alarm systems... I think they are useless. If you want the same thing without the price, search for "infrared emergency dialer" on any search engine. You can get one for max of $50 bucks and it'll alert on unauthorized movement (same as this one), call a number (e.g. 911 if you want) and play a prerecorded message that you made (e.g. "help! I live at 123 Any Street in My Town, USA and my alarm is going off due to an intruder!").

All this system does is dial a "monitoring center" (aka call center) when the alarm is activated. That is your first delay to help, about 2 minutes. Then they try to call you back 2-3 times, another 5-6 minutes have been wasted. Then they call your local 9-1-1 dispatcher and say that the alarm is going off, 2-3 minutes on the phone. Dispatcher sends a cop to your house to check it out, at least 5 minutes response time for a residential audible alarm and more if the response times in your area are higher. So at the minimum you are looking at 16 minutes before a cop comes to your location.

For this wonderful response time you're paying close to $200 for the unit, plus $20-25 per month for the call "monitoring" center. Or you can pay $50 just once and get the same "protection". Personally I don't like alarm systems because of the response times for burglaries when someone's not there, but the thing I take issue with is when you are there.

A residential panic alarm is indeed taken more seriously then a regular audible/non-audible burglar alarm, BUT you're only talking maybe a 5 minute shave off of the total response time for when a cop shows at your doorstep. I'm sorry, but 11 minutes is too long when you actually are involved in a situation. If you call 9-1-1 yourself, you're looking at maybe 5 minutes or a little more total because the dispatcher can ask you questions directly and you're going straight to the dispatcher first who's dispatching the units while you are talking to them.

Monitoring systems are great for businesses that just need a cop there to maybe catch the person, have a cop there to take the report while no one is at the business, and reduces their insurance which they'll just write off at the end of the tax year for the loss. For the rest of us, this isn't very helpful. We need someone there NOW, burglary or otherwise.

My advice is to get a dog or a better lock. Alarm systems aren't very good in my book unless you aren't really concerned for your belonging or personally safety. Sorry to kind of hijack the thread, but just wanted to put this out there.

Cheers.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    If someone is intelligent enough to jam a wireless alarm, then the place they are breaking into should be able to afford a better system than this... conversely, if a system such as this is deemed adequate for your(my) needs, then the thief is intelligent enough to realize there are more lucrative targets out there.
    I am failing to see the coherence of your logic.

Someone wants to protect themselves against jamming and electricity shutoff implies that they will acquire an alarm that does not have those weaknesses.

And since when do we ascribe intelligence to a B&E type criminal?

Do not make it a habit of underestimating criminals. Just because they have sidetracked the law does not make them stupid, and it could be a fatal error to do so. I have met some extremely smart and competent criminals in my day, as crime does pay quite well for a time if you have the right intelligence/skill sets. Don't assume it is some dumb punk until the intruder shows you he is a dumb punk.

Thanks for the info soundwave, I had no idea there was such a thing as an "infrared emergency dialer" out there.

I have a visionic wireless alarm system, dome cameras, my home is completely fenced in which means you cannot ring my doorbell or knock on my door unless I leave the gate open, and I have two rottweilers running my property. Not much more I can do.

Just a thought to save you some money.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZBB743-270-2716.html

If you are looking for something to simply warn you so you can grab your gun this will do it for $10. Recently we had a woman and her boyfriend killed by an ex-boyfriend. They had an expensive alarm system that was installed improperly. The BG simply walked in and killed them.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

That door stop alarm looks good on paper, but due to my set up it will probably go off without me hearing it. I need something that activates at my apartment's front door but goes off in my back room (bed room).

Those "emergency dialers" seem to work only with an alarm, I thought they would be the stand alone type (maybe I haven't found the right one yet?). Any one has / know of a stand alone model?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links