Crimson Trace for Glock 30 - Feedback Please

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace for Glock 30 - Feedback Please within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I finally broke down and purchased a Crimson Trace laser for the Glock 30. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it drift ...

Thread: Crimson Trace for Glock 30 - Feedback Please

Crimson Trace for Glock 30 - Feedback Please

Well, I finally broke down and purchased a Crimson Trace laser for the Glock 30. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it drift when shooting (the G30 is pretty stout). Battery life for the laser? any advantages or things you don't like about it? The cost seemed good ($139 + SH).

Woolybear

2. Remove Ads

You'd probably get more responses if you moved this to the "Related Gear and Equipment" area rather than "Knives and Other Weapons".
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I personally don't care for CT lasers. I like my point of impact and point of aim to be the same, or as close as possible, regardless of distance. When I line up the rail sights on the target the laser sits off to the right a bit and that is just wierd for me. Of course depending on how you sight it in you can have the laser cross the point of aim, but it will only be for that distance. Distances aimed at that are shorter will hit to the right and distances longer to the left. I guess some get along with it (keeping in mind the constant windage).

I prefer Lasermax, but they are a little bit more expensive then any CT. Overall I like the system better, but that is just my opinion. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me, I would be happy to answer any.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Go Glock View Post
    I personally don't care for CT lasers. I like my point of impact and point of aim to be the same, or as close as possible, regardless of distance. When I line up the rail sights on the target the laser sits off to the right a bit and that is just wierd for me. Of course depending on how you sight it in you can have the laser cross the point of aim, but it will only be for that distance. Distances aimed at that are shorter will hit to the right and distances longer to the left. I guess some get along with it (keeping in mind the constant windage).

I prefer Lasermax, but they are a little bit more expensive then any CT. Overall I like the system better, but that is just my opinion. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me, I would be happy to answer any.
    When I align my sights on my Glock M27 that lil red dot just squats right on top of the front sight. I had it zeroed to 30 yards, so at any distance between contact & 30 yards, the round goes where the sights AND the dot are co-located. Personally I like the CT way better than the LaserMax because the latter is a PULSE laser and that just seems to screw my eyes all to Hell and gone.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

New Member Array naturalbornjoker's Avatar
    sell the ct. it's a novelty item that distracts you from being able to shoot properly. i prefer heinie straight 8 night sights and a 4.5 ghost trigger stoked with standard pressure ammo in my g30. something like the 230 gr. ranger leo or the SB gold dot load.

in short, learn how to shoot good iron sights. they are more reliable then anything else you can put on your gun and with the g30 point shooting can, and will, come 2nd nature with just a little practice every week.

Wink Distractors apply to the NOVICE

Quote Originally Posted by naturalbornjoker View Post
    sell the ct. it's a novelty item that distracts you from being able to shoot properly. i prefer heinie straight 8 night sights and a 4.5 ghost trigger stoked with standard pressure ammo in my g30. something like the 230 gr. ranger leo or the SB gold dot load.

in short, learn how to shoot good iron sights. they are more reliable then anything else you can put on your gun and with the g30 point shooting can, and will, come 2nd nature with just a little practice every week.
    True enough, iron sights are a skill that is required for effective use of the weapon. I know IPSC shooters who are literally LOST if you hand them a gun without optics. That's how I know what they do is truly a game.

But for somebody who knows which way is "UP" the laser can serve an important function. There are enough cases now on record where de-escalation of a confrontation has been achieved by seeing the DOT and subsequently seeing "the light." I have a CT on my Glock M27. I wouldn't part with it. Just another tool to exploit if need be. But my sights are perfectly zeroed and the tritiums are fresh.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

New Member Array naturalbornjoker's Avatar
    exsoldier- There are enough cases now on record where de-escalation of a confrontation has been achieved by seeing the DOT and subsequently seeing "the light."
    Yeah, I've read a lot of those. Here is the catch. There is no way to de-escalate a situation where the gunman got the drop on you. You pulling out your 26 immediately calls for sights or a point shooting solution on the spot. God forbid you've gotten used to the CT... What if it fails? You'll have spent at least a second or more looking for that stupid red dot and will have been blasted... Unless, of course, it's a gangsta' homey with the sideways shootin' style blastin' aimlessly. lol. If that's the case. Crouch down and put two to the chest and one to the head.

All I know from the thousands of rounds I have sent down range in a number of guns, including full auto macs and ar15s with lasers, I would not rely on the red dot.

It is useful for practice though because you are able to see if your trigger pull is correct. Then again... You could just place a quarter on your front sight and keep practicing til you can keep it balanced every single time. Aside from that, there is the intimidation factor if YOU HAVE THE DROP.

I digress, if you do have a CT, lasermax, or other, just don't plan on it working. Use your sights as best as you know how and point shoot if you have to. Buy a thousand rounds of your fave defensive ammo annually and practice with those rounds at the beginning of each month. etc. etc.

I'm sure you've heard it all before. I just really worry about people that I see at the range looking for that stupid dot while I'm double and tripple tapping the bullseye with a relatively stock gun except for trigger lightening and heinie straight eights.

best of luck to you all and stay safe.

No drift, complement to sights, watch your fingers when clearing malfunctions/loading+unloading.

Talking MY dot sits neatly on top of my front sight!

Quote Originally Posted by naturalbornjoker View Post
    God forbid you've gotten used to the CT... What if it fails? You'll have spent at least a second or more looking for that stupid red dot and will have been blasted... Unless, of course, it's a gangsta' homey with the sideways shootin' style blastin' aimlessly. lol. If that's the case. Crouch down and put two to the chest and one to the head. Aside from that, there is the intimidation factor if YOU HAVE THE DROP.

I'm sure you've heard it all before. I just really worry about people that I see at the range looking for that stupid dot while I'm double and tripple tapping the bullseye with a relatively stock gun except for trigger lightening and heinie straight eights. Best of luck to you all and stay safe.
    First of all, I only have a CT on my Glock M27 and that little red dot sits right on TOP of my front tritium sight. But all I ever see is my front sight and that does quite nicely, thanks.

I would look for the dot in only one circumstance (besides the previously mentioned intimidation factor where YOU HAVE THE DROP) and that is if I were being effectively suppressed and it was inadvisable to peek out for the aimed shot. IF I could shoot over or around cover with eyes on the target from a covered angle, that might be ideal. It's kind of like the new military technology that lets troops shoot around corners by exposing only the weapon and shooting from the HUD linked to a camera on the gun.

Links