Speedloaders vs. Strips

This is a discussion on Speedloaders vs. Strips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For revolver carry what is best? A speedloader or strips?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedloaders vs. Strips

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Speedloaders vs. Strips

For revolver carry what is best? A speedloader or strips?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

Speedloaders tend to be quicker but bulkier. Speed strips fit in a pocket easier, but are a bit slower. Both take a fair amount of practice to perfect. Depends mostly on clothing choices. For a winter coat I would go with speedloaders since it is easier to hide them. But in the summer with just jeans on, speed strips because you can conceal them.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I vote for Speedloaders. I've tried both, and found that there's less "fumble factor" than with strips.

Senior Moderator
    Speedloaders are easier and faster.

I can carry 2 speedstrips for each speedloader.

So I carry one of each.

Both take practice.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I had both. Prefer the strips. Less bulk. I could load both with equal time. Just takes practice.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I carry and practice with both. In the summer when I am apt to wear shorts and a t-shirt the speedstrips are easier to carry. Other times of year I can carry one or even two speedloaders in a jacket pocket.

When I practice with speed strips I also practice partial reloads a lot. On a 5 shot snubby it may take as long to get that 5th single round in as it did to get the other four in. When I took Michael de Bethencourt's snubby class he pointed out the value of partial reloads.

Given the choice, Strips. Better for concealment.

Another option is the old 2x2x2 pouch. My dad was a Deputy Investigator in the late 60's and said he liked the 2x2x2 method because you could keep your eyes on target and pull/load 2x2x2 almost as fast without looking. I recently made my own after looking at the prices.

Note that it holds the rounds tightly and that the whole pouch pivots forward for better access. All this for ~$2 in leather. You'll need a couple needles, some waxed sinew, some dye, and a snap with setter... but once you're set up you'll start making other things too.

Last edited by QKShooter; February 24th, 2007 at 02:09 PM.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

New Member Array Peacefulwarrior's Avatar
    While speedloaders are faster I prefer to carry speed strips for ease of carry. (thought I do keep tone in the glovebox) I found a really handy place to keep one is the watchpocket of my jeans. Just enough sticks out to grab but hides the rounds from view.
    Last edited by Peacefulwarrior; February 24th, 2007 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling

I'm Not A Cop...

So I'm not interested in cutting a few seconds off of a reload...
    When I have the S & W 637 out and about, I just carry a couple of extra speed loaders...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I like the strips, less bulky. Slower but easier to carry, fit right in the watch pocket of your jeans. Just don't forget to take it out before tossing the jeans into the hamper, they might just go into the washing machine. Ask me how I know this.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Speedloaders for me.
    Beretta 92FS

whw
    I carry the strips exclusively. The speedloaders are great for USPSA competition, but they are too bulky for every day carry.

whw

JD
    Administrator

Question

Out of curiousity, I know how speed loaders work, and what they look like, for those of us of lesser expereince with the strips, could we possibly get a fic or two and a description of how they work?

I picked up my first revlover, a Smith 642 and got some HKS speed loaders as I am familiar with the use of that method, but am always looking for something that may be better. I guess it's time to hit Goggle...

Ahh here we go,

So do you just pluck out your rounds and insert in the cylinder? Or is the plastic pliable enough and spaced out correctly to insert two rounds at a time in the cylinder from the strip?

So do you just pluck out your rounds and insert in the cylinder? Or is the plastic pliable enough and spaced out correctly to insert two rounds at a time in the cylinder from the strip?
    that's what i was wondering. i would have guessed they could be rolled but from looking at your pics it doesn't seem so. i would really like to know as well.
    What's this button do?

Got both but the spring loaded speed loader is way faster. A bit bulkier but do-able.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links