Defensive Carry banner

Separate gun light or this?

2K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  Mike1956 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a PPQ for a HD weapon. So now I want to make sure I can use it when I might need it, i.e. in the dark. So I was looking at getting a Streamlight TLR-1 but then I saw this Fenix Gun Mounted Lighting Kit with TK22 Flashlight - 23% Off. So my question is should I get it and then I have the option of using the flashlight when I need a tactical flashlight or get a dedicated gun light? This will be my first gun light or tactical flashlight. Any wisdom or advice is appreciated since I am a newbie to these things.

EDIT: I'd like to thank everyone for their informative response. Today I went to REI which carries the Fenix light I was considering. After seeing it in person I realized that is just not practical as a pistol light. And after reading everybody's posts I decided the best thing is to have both a dedicated weapon light and flashlight. Once again thanks for all of you who took the time to give me an informative answer. It definitely helped me make up my mind.

#3 ·
I want no light on my gun. Don't point a gun at something your not going to shoot . Loaded gun and light breaks that rule for sure.

#16 ·
Yes I realize it violates one of the four basic laws of gun use but how are you going to see what you can't see? Do you use a flashlight in your off hand? I worry that in the heat of the moment my one handed use would be less than what it is in ideal conditions.

#5 ·
Living in a forest, it gets really dark at night. I use a flashlight often, and do not want to be waving my pistol around without good reason. On a similar vein, my dogs and cat love chasing lasers around the yard, i had to buy a flashlight with one for the same reason.

#7 ·
I Asked the same question about 3 months ago and a lot of people misunderstood me. Me personally I would like one mounted on my pistol for sd and hd. However you may still need some me to use in normal everyday life. I didn't really want to mount one on my edc pistol it becomes a bit much to carry all the time. If you have a designated hd gun that may work in better application of a light mounted on there. Also take note that some pistols don't function with a light on them. I have a ten 4 glock 23 and found out a light may hamper Its ability to function properly. If you do a web search you will see this. That is why I haven't done it yet

#8 ·
I have a Laser mounted so I carry small flashlight that has plenty of bright light. the light is a weapon in its self.

#9 ·
I recently bought a PPQ for a HD weapon. So now I want to make sure I can use it when I might need it, i.e. in the dark. So I was looking at getting a Streamlight TLR-1 but then I saw this Fenix Gun Mounted Lighting Kit with TK22 Flashlight - 23% Off. So my question is should I get it and then I have the option of using the flashlight when I need a tactical flashlight or get a dedicated gun light? This will be my first gun light or tactical flashlight. Any wisdom or advice is appreciated since I am a newbie to these things.
That kit and light are set up for a rifle or shotgun, it's almost as long as your pistol, there's no way you're going to mount it that PPQ.

The TLR-1 is a great light at a reasonable price, I have a couple of them. I keep a 300lumen TLR-1s mounted on my house gun, a Springfield MC Operator, when it's on the nightstand I also have a Surefire 6PX on the nightstand with it. I like the gun mounted light for some things, like chasing critters out of the trash cans, but using a .45 for a flashlight when the power is out is a bit of overkill, I like having the option to use the light on the gun or not, rather than have that be my only one.

ETA: That being said, that light looks like it could be a good deal if it is rugged enough and holds up. Amazon has the same light in a kit without the charger and carrying case for $109.99, at that price I might order one to mount on one of my long guns and try out. Amazon.com : Fenix TK22 2014 Edition 920 Lumens 300 Yards Tactical LED Flashlight with Rifle Mounting Kit: Remote Pressure Switch, Picatinny Rail Mount, 2x Tenergy CR123A Batteries & Lumentac Battery Organizer : Sports & Outdoors

Reactions: hick63
#17 ·
That kit and light are set up for a rifle or shotgun, it's almost as long as your pistol, there's no way you're going to mount it that PPQ.
I thought that as well but after careful reading it is set up to use on a handgun. Now whether or now I want a light that big on my HD gun is another question. That is why I asked. Thanks for the advice and info.

#10 ·
Put simply, IMO, unless you live in a pitch black house or cave (and my house always has some light that allows me to see--slightly--but I can see) flashlight is a pathway to where I and my firearm are located. If you are in that pitch black cave or really need light to "sweep your house" because family members are in other parts of home, I understand. If there is a bump in the night in my house that is occupied only by wife and I, I will stay in my locked and stopper-secured bedroom--BGs can take anything valuable in other rooms--it is insured and replaceable. I am insured and not replaceable and I am not going to find out how good they may be with this "gun stuff" and I surely am not going to give them a lighted road map to my location. This goes for lasers, as well. It is HD and that means 5-10 yards max. If you are not proficient enough that you need a laser--good luck--hey to each his own. This also goes for "racking a shotgun"--IMO this is an urban legend that somehow all the BGs will just run away in total fear. How about the fact that the "racking" has told the BGs where you are and what they should look out for? In addition to my semi auto handgun, I have a shotgun and they will find out about it when they try to defeat the bedroom door--not before. It is already "racked" and waiting for them.
I have mentioned this before but in my house after that suspicious "bump", I call 911 on cell near bed, I activate remote garage door opener near bed, I activate lights and alarms on cars with automobile remote near bed, and then go about "staging" myself and waiting. If LEOs come--lights and horns will tell them where and I would think the racket might very well move the BGs more quickly out of my home. My only concerns will be the replacement of the bedroom door jamb and the replacement of the carpet that is now stained red.

#12 ·
Take a low-light class!

In my mind target ID is paramount in any kind of SD situation. In low/no-light, that means having a way to illuminate a potential target. How to illuminate, how long to illuminate, and movement afterwards, is where training comes in.

Long-gun I prefer a mounted light, HD pistol I prefer a mounted light and HH light. Mounted light does make the shooting aspect a whole lot easier, there’s also no chance you’ll leave your light behind as it’s attached. A weapon light also makes routine tasks much easier, such as phone, carrying anything, opening doors, reloads etc. Try shooting with both, even in the daylight, try a couple of the common HH flashlight techniques; Harries, Rogers, Graham, Uncrossed (Un-Harries) and neck index etc. and see how well you can hit with them.

As for muzzle sweeping, for some reason I worry about that a lot less than I worry about misidentifying a potential target. Wandering around my house at “O” dark-thirty, chances are you’re getting muzzle swept, be happy I’ll also hit you with 300 Lumens before I decide to engage. Also, a light with decent output, will illuminate a pretty large area at the low ready. Keep in mind, just because it’s there, doesn’t mean you have to turn it on! That’s why the majority of “tactical” flashlights have momentary switches. Again, a training issue.

There's other pluses and minuses that come with a mounted VS handheld light, and a decent class can help sort through both. I've taken 3 low-light classes, and just finished the low-light phase for a class I'm taking now (4th). We also shoot low-light CoFs in shoots. Probably the best training I've ever done is low-light, either long-gun or pistol. It IS an eye opener!

As far as nightlights or constant illumination my thoughts are, in the dark, in my house, I have a home team advantage in that I know the layout. Turn on the lights, we’re now on equal footing as far as illumination goes. A tactical flashlight (of sufficient Lumens) does have a blinding effect IF you shine it in your opponents face. Miss their face, it’s not effective, but by then I’ve decided to engaged, or turned off my light and moved.

Chuck

#21 ·
Chuck R. pretty much nailed it in post #12 IMO.

I'll add, I spent quite a bit of effort planning the at-night-everyone's sleeping lighting in my house. I have chosen a choke point that covers my kids, my wife, and I. From this place I have a good vantage and I am in relative shadow, while my field of vision is adequately lit for target ID and engagement.

I still have a light with a momentary switch mounted on: my Primary EDC and HD weapon, my Glock 21. It onlys wears this light at night when @ bedside. I do not carry it lighted. I do EDC a handheld light. My Mossberg 590 is my secondary HD weapon, it bears a light, and so do my tertiary/SHTF rifles.

I believe in WML's. Yes, they can have their drawbacks, but you don't have to turn them on. It's really a training issue. on my bedside gun in a typical HD scenario for me, I would likely not use the light at all. But if the power goes out, or for some extraneous reason I need to go outside, or some other left-field curveball comes my way, just like the gun itself, I'd rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.

Even though Chuck already addressed this too; I want to beat it a little more. you don't have to point your gun/light DIRECTLY AT something right away. My WML will produce more than enough light to tell me if it's Mickey Meth head, or my wife, standing in that doorway when the muzzle/light is pointed at the floor in low ready. Since you should have your weapon at low ready anyway during bright daylight if your not sure what's behind door #1.... I fail to see why the WML is such a big deal here. If I *KNOW* it's the boogey-man, then the weapon will be presented, regardless. If I don't have a clue if it's the cat making that noise, I should be in low ready, regardless.
and frankly, if I come home late and noisy I would darn sure prefer my wife point a loaded gun at my face and blind me, rather than shoot at my shadow.....

...and, with momentary switches I see very litte practical danger for a person in their home "giving away their position"... a SWAT guy clearing a huge factory on the ship yard just like the movies where the bad guy can see him waving his light around across the steel cat walks?? sure. Night Vision and IR Lasers all the way baby, but for John Q. citizen being able to flash a pulse of light to know whats in that hallway, and have a knife, spare mag, or cell phone in that support hand is a lot more useful...

ALL OF THE ABOVE IS MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION.....

Reactions: Chuck R.
#22 ·
I personally like a flash light that I can move where I want without moving the gun. I can on/off the light without pointing the gun at someone that I may not want to point it at.

I've had both my son and daughter come to the house late without me knowing it. I hate the thought of pointing my weapon at them.

#25 ·
I actually agree with a lot of the conflicting comments posted. I was trained in the old FBI techniques with the flashlight extended out and away from the body. I still sort of revert to that, but the modern, compact flashlights with their high output necessitated some changes in tactics. Why not both a flashlight and a weapon light? You can use the flashlight to see what's up, and then switch the weapon to light if that something does more than go bump. If your spider sense is screaming just go straight to the weapon light.

If I am going to mount it on my firearm there is no such thing as too bright. Anything I point it at I want totally blinded. I consider the weapon light a type of non-lethal defense tool. In fact, I like a seizure inducing strobe mode. It's amazing just how confusing it is to the brain to go from low light to a blinding strobe right in your eyes. I believe it is unlikely someone can effectively return fire into it. I haven't tested it against an attacker, but I have tested it on me and it's instantly disorienting and somehow seems to foul night vision even worse than a bright light on its own. I think it is highly effective.

#26 ·
It's good to have both.

I keep a pistol with weapon mounted light and handheld within reach at night. In this case the handheld also has a strobe feature.

WML is my main light source if there's a bump in the night. Handheld is backup. I'll always have the mounted light even If I forget the handheld in the rush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.