Grip making?

This is a discussion on Grip making? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK.... I have someone who is pretty good with various projects and tools and wants to make some grips for me. Grips are going to ...

Thread: Grip making?

Grip making?

OK.... I have someone who is pretty good with various projects and tools and wants to make some grips for me. Grips are going to be for a 1911 and they will be made out of hardwood (I'm actually looking now as to what they should be made out of and I think I will get redheart). Any tips that I should relay in regards to the whole process?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Well - grips I made way back were all for revo - and that requires quite a bit more removal of material internally.

I reckon 1911 panels should be that bit easier. I used what I had on hand which was mahogany usually. I have a pic - somewhere!

Another wood I would consider would be cherry but almost any hardwood will do if tight grained. Beware wood dust from some of those re inhalation.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    If he is good with tools, just have him copy the grip panels you have. It's easiest if he has the gun as well to be sure the snug fit and that the screw holes are lined up right.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Cool, I'll pass it on to her :) Btw, we already looked at the grips and stenciled all the shapes and took all the measurements. I'm curious as to the shaping process for the grips though. I'm thinking that they will need to be shaped and I will have to test fit them couple times while they are being shaped to make sure that I like the way they fit in the hand.

Assistant Administrator
    Shaping in the rough can be by chisels and/or rasps - and once down to near size, a gradual progression thru grit sizes with abrasive papers. Good if you can test part ways thru as before they get too thin you may find you prefer a bit of extra bulk.

I found the pic I mentioned - of the revo grips - forget quite which was which. Left was for Redhawk, others were IIRC N frame Smith and Colt Trooper MkIII.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Shaping in the rough can be by chisels and/or rasps - and once down to near size, a gradual progression thru grit sizes with abrasive papers. Good if you can test part ways thru as before they get too thin you may find you prefer a bit of extra bulk.
    Chisels and dremel rocks. So as I thought: adjust, test fit, adjust, test fit.

I found the pic I mentioned - of the revo grips - forget quite which was which. Left was for Redhawk, others were IIRC N frame Smith and Colt Trooper MkIII.
    Those are nice looking grips!

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    This guy makes wood grips for bersa handguns. Does a pretty good job. Maybe you can get some info from him Good luck www.gggrips.com
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Drill and space yer holes first then do the shaping around them.
    cuz you can have a great looking set all done but if ya screw up the holes and the countersinking of the bushings they are DONE.
    my advice....over size the grip panels, drill and countersink for the bushings, then downsize the slabs accordingly to fit.

how i know is i made some and learned the hard way after screwing up the drilling and countersinking.

good luck.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY View Post
    Drill and space yer holes first then do the shaping around them.
    cuz you can have a great looking set all done but if ya screw up the holes and the countersinking of the bushings they are DONE.
    my advice....over size the grip panels, drill and countersink for the bushings, then downsize the slabs accordingly to fit.

how i know is i made some and learned the hard way after screwing up the drilling and countersinking.

good luck.
    Good point!! Btw, where should I get the bushings from?

Here's a nice article on grip making....

http://www.blindhogg.com/grip.html
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Administrator
    My one suggestion is that IF you are going to make your own 1911 grips then do not make them out of any mediocre or plain wood.
    Even plainish looking exotic.

The fancier and the more exotic & Grade AAA plus the better.

The reason being that now you can buy plain & checkered 1911 grips in most woods (including exotics) on Ebay for $20.00 (& less) a pop. The "Grip Guys" dump a pile of them on every once in a while.

It's not worth setting up & jigging up just to make one or two sets of "ordinary looking" 1911 grips so make certain your material is Extra Fancy and rare.

Nicely figured SnakeWood is always a good choice.
    Also Rosewood burl is very exceptional looking.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Here's a nice article on grip making....

http://www.blindhogg.com/grip.html
    Thanks,
    that's a great article!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My one suggestion is that IF you are going to make your own 1911 grips then do not make them out of any mediocre or plain wood.
    Even plainish looking exotic.
    Got two boards: really nice looking mahogany and red heart. Both of the boards look amazing.

Links