SureFire G3 T & E

SureFire G3 T & E

This is a discussion on SureFire G3 T & E within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys. Well, I just bought a SureFire G3 and a dear friend of mine ask that I give an evaluation on the light here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SureFire G3 T & E

SureFire G3 T & E

Hey guys. Well, I just bought a SureFire G3 and a dear friend of mine ask that I give an evaluation on the light here on Combat Carry.

First thing I will say, is that Die Hard SureFire fans (like me) will appreciate the G3. Especially if you have "meat hooks" like yours truly. I needed a good, solid duty light that is a little bit longer than the G2 I was carrying. I ALMOST bought a Streamlight Stinger, but I reminded myself of the manhunt I was on last fall when my department issue Streamlight quit on me! But that's another story!

I'm not an expert nor a collector. I'm just a dumb cop who relies on his tools to get the job done day in and day out. I own 2 other SureFires...a black G2 and a HA E2e. Both lights put out a remarkable source of light and the lumens rating is just about the same for each...however, the G2 has more "throw" than the E2e, which has more "flood" than the G2. I love my G2 and my E2e very much...but this report is for the newest SureFire member - the G3!

The G3 is a 9 volt tactical flashlight made of SureFire's Nitrolon, or as we in the gun business call it - polymer. The G3 is a handfull of light! That is the main reason I went out and got one. The best SureFire that I ever owned was a 9P, but in a moment of weakness, I let that one go to a fellow officer that was in DESPERATE need of a good quality light and I knew that with the 10 or 12 kids that he has, he could never afford one, so I made him a ******* deal on mine. Needless to say, he still proudly carries and uses the SureFire 9P. The G3 is basically a polymer version of the aluminum 9P.

The throw is GOOD on the G3...a LITTLE bit more than the G2, yet not a substantial difference. But like I said in the previous paragraph - I bought it for the length!

Another "new" feature of the G3 that the G2 lacks, is the 6 point anti-roll bezel found on the 6P, 9P, Z series, etc. I wish the G2 had this type of bezel, but alas...it does not. I would recommend this light as a duty type flashlight to be worn on the belt and not in the pocket - it's a little LONG for that type of carry. I am currently carrying mine in a polymer Uncle Mike's expandable baton carrier. It is made of a molded polymer, has a Cordura nylon outer finish, a "soft" polymer inner retention device and a well rounded bottom that prohibits accidental activation of the tailcap button. I got lucky because this is the very first pouch I tried and it fit like a charm! Now I don't have a box full of various carriers that I bought only to find out that they did not perform the way I wanted them to. And at only $12.50? Such-a-deal!

All in all the SureFire G3 is a ******* light, but the MSRP $59 price tag may scare a few customers away (I only gave $50 for mine!). It's STILL not my favorite SureFire out there - my E2e gets more time in the saddle than the other two COMBINED! It's the first thing I grab in the morning/it's the last thing I set down at night. The G2 now rides in a Galco M.F.P. with a Glock 22 magazine for off duty use and the G3 will be strictly a duty light. But, if you need a good, dependable, lightweight flashlight for duty and/or home security use, the SureFire G3 may be just what you are looking for!

Thanks for the review...I"m headed to Iraq in a few months (for my 3rd tour) and have been considering a SureFire light...I was actually looking at an E2D...now I'm thinking about the G3.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Thanks for the review...I"m headed to Iraq in a few months (for my 3rd tour) and have been considering a SureFire light...I was actually looking at an E2D...now I'm thinking about the G3.
    Like I said, if you are gonna be in some kind of "duty" type gear, the G3 is AWESOME!

If you are gonna be in civies of maybe just utilities without the web gear, I would go for the G2 for the ruggedness of it.

If I could only pick one flashlight to go with me? It would be the E2e - HANDS DOWN!

And thank you for fighting for and providing the blanket of freedom that me and my family rest under! Good luck over there, and God bless!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    First thing I will say, is that Die Hard SureFire fans (like me) will appreciate the G3. Especially if you have "meat hooks" like yours truly. I needed a good, solid duty light that is a little bit longer than the G2 I was carrying.
    How big are those 'meat hooks'? I've got a fair sized set of paws myself, and my 6P is about the perfect size (pinky finger right up against the rear of the bezel, index finger right at the rear of the light). Are you grabbing it differently or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    How big are those 'meat hooks'? I've got a fair sized set of paws myself, and my 6P is about the perfect size (pinky finger right up against the rear of the bezel, index finger right at the rear of the light). Are you grabbing it differently or something?
    I conducted a building search with my G2 one night...partly the reason I then went with the 9P - the bottom ridge of my left hand was damn near on fire!

When you use that thing for a very long time - that bezel gets mighty hot! With the G3, the bottom ridge of my hand is below the bottom of the bezel on the barrell, where it should be, and my index finger is riding right on the little space between the barrell and the tailcap - where a lanyard ring would go, giving me perfect distance for my thumb to activate the tailcap button. When I grip the G3 and turn my hand over, where I am looking at the BACK of my hand, all you can see is the ENTIRE bezel/head and approx 3/4 - 7/8 of the tailcap.

My little E2e all but disappears in my hand! When looking at the back of my hand, all you can see is about half of the tailcap! Bezel? GONE!

Yeah...I got some big hands!
    Last edited by Glock 'em down; February 27th, 2007 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    When you use that thing for a very long time - that bezel gets mighty hot!
    OK, that explains it. I guess I haven't run mine long enough to heat up the bezel like that, but from your description, I'd be cooking my hand too. Probably not something I need to worry about too much. I'm not going to be doing too many building searches.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    OK, that explains it. I guess I haven't run mine long enough to heat up the bezel like that, but from your description, I'd be cooking my hand too. Probably not something I need to worry about too much. I'm not going to be doing too many building searches.
    Well...in my line of work, I do more than I want to. Those things sure get the blood pumping!

I have an defender, with a built in belt or hat clip.
    I carry this light.
    The night stand carrys a 9volt version of the 6p,with the 200 lumen bulb P91.
    I just bought 2 G3's. One for each car, you can buy the P91 bulb which doubles the lumens to 200. But only lasts for 20 minutes instead of the 60 for the P90
    On the flashlights that have the twist on, there is 2 lines that line up for the thumb operated temp on, On mine I had the two lines lined up and put it in my pocket, I went about carrying wood in for the stove. And my leg got real hot.The light was on. The lines are off a little bit.
    All and all sure fire has a great product.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetrashfarm View Post
    I have an defender, with a built in belt or hat clip.
    I carry this light.
    The night stand carrys a 9volt version of the 6p,with the 200 lumen bulb P91.
    I just bought 2 G3's. One for each car, you can buy the P91 bulb which doubles the lumens to 200. But only lasts for 20 minutes instead of the 60 for the P90
    On the flashlights that have the twist on, there is 2 lines that line up for the thumb operated temp on, On mine I had the two lines lined up and put it in my pocket, I went about carrying wood in for the stove. And my leg got real hot.The light was on. The lines are off a little bit.
    All and all sure fire has a great product.
    Yeah, I've noticed that pocket carry is not the best method for ANY SureFire, except the E2e and maybe others similar to it with the pocket clip. The tailcap on it has a ton of tension on it...it doesn't get turned on by jostling around in a pocket with keys and change and what-not. Of course, the pocket clip keeps it out of the bottom of your pocket.

I've been considering the G3 and the 6PD. Both look very nice. I'm still considering it. It will either be the G3 or the Streamlight TL3. Both seem similar in price. Both would be nice with two litium ion 17500's. Decisions decisions. Maybe I'll just get both. I'll have to wait though. Spending more than $90 on a Amilite Neo T5 is about all I can do in one month. :) Suposedly its supposed to be brighter than the G3 though. We will find out. :)
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I do not carry a light everyday. I have the big mag lights in the truck and at home but now I am thinking about carrying one with me daily. I do not have much budget for it so I am looking at the cheaper SureFire G2. For a basic light do any of you have any comments on that model.

Quote Originally Posted by freetrapper View Post
    I do not carry a light everyday. I have the big mag lights in the truck and at home but now I am thinking about carrying one with me daily. I do not have much budget for it so I am looking at the cheaper SureFire G2. For a basic light do any of you have any comments on that model.
    The G2 is an EXCELLENT choice. And at $35 (roughly) EVERYBODY should own a couple. If you will give my buddy John Crighton at www.lighthound.com a jingle, he can fix you up. He has all of the colors in stock and his shipping is lightning fast. I usually just shoot him an email telling him what I want and it's in the mailbox in 2-3 days!

Now THAT'S service!

Great post and review. My everyday carry is my E2D, like your E2E except with a strike bezel, and if it comes down to it....I want every advantage I can.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedMonkey View Post
    Great post and review. My everyday carry is my E2D, like your E2E except with a strike bezel, and if it comes down to it....I want every advantage I can.
    How do you carry that thing? I carry my E2e clipped inside my left front pocket. I would cut my left hand to ribbons! Have you seen the new 6P with the teeth? OMG! It makes the E2D look like a butter-knife!

In the front pocket (on front of thigh) of my 5.11's, cargo pocket of my 5.11 TDU's (there are special pockets on these inside the cargo pocket) or just front pocket of my jeans. I don't use the clip that much myself. I try to keep aware of my surroundings and if I feel I would ever need it, it is already in my hand prior to that. Other then that I have a belt holder for it so I can carry it next to my mag holder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links