Advice for clip on Mag holder

This is a discussion on Advice for clip on Mag holder within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a little peeved. I just bought a black leather Bianchi open mag holder off of ebay. This is the first clip on anything ...

Thread: Advice for clip on Mag holder

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Advice for clip on Mag holder

I am a little peeved. I just bought a black leather Bianchi open mag holder off of ebay. This is the first clip on anything that I have ever bought. When I go to to retrieve the magazine for a reload the whole d@mn holder comes with it! Any suggestions on how to remedy this? (Other than spend a bunch of money on a holder) I bought this so when I start shooting IDPA next month my reloads would be quicker. Should I just go back to my old closed velcro holder until I have some money to get something better?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

I had this problem with clip on Bianchi and Hume magazine holders and quit using them. Maybe a thicker belt or something (another layer of leather?) attached to the back of the belt if you aren't using a heavy, square-bottomed gun belt? Or even a velcro patch inside the belt and the other part (pile or loop) stuck on the inside of the metal clip, if you can make it stick on the chrome metal (or roughen that area up a bit with an abrasive). These are just ideas, haven't tried them. I bought good Kydex mag pouches and solved the problem, but maybe you can salvage the item with a little ingenuity.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Well the only easy on mag holder that I have found to work wonderful is the Safariland 079. It works like a charm and is what I use for IDPA and it snaps on real easily and snaps off pretty easily when I want it to. Not to expensive either.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Doc,
    I'm not sure how Bianchi attaches their clips, but if possible to remove it and reverse it so the clip opening is at the top it would definately stay put when you draw, since you'd be pulling the bend in the clip against the bottom of the belt. And I don't think it would fall off in movement with the opening at the top due to belt pressure on it.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Try this site

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/Default.htm

I have several from them for the Glock, Kahr, and 1911. Never a problem.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity View Post
    Doc,
    I'm not sure how Bianchi attaches their clips, but if possible to remove it and reverse it so the clip opening is at the top it would definately stay put when you draw, since you'd be pulling the bend in the clip against the bottom of the belt. And I don't think it would fall off in movement with the opening at the top due to belt pressure on it.
    Thanks. I just did this and it works. I don't think that I'll use it for carry because I would hate to have the pouch drop in front of the sheepal but it will work for the IPDA match. I'll just use my old pouch for carry until I can get something better.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Thanks. I just did this and it works. I don't think that I'll use it for carry because I would hate to have the pouch drop in front of the sheepal but it will work for the IPDA match. I'll just use my old pouch for carry until I can get something better.
    For carry, you need a Galco M.F.P. Holds a spare mag and a SureFire flashlight - AWSOME little pouch!

Links