Calling all holster makers.

This is a discussion on Calling all holster makers. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know we have some serious leather working talent represented on this site, so I thought I might take advantage of your wisdom. I have ...

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar

I know we have some serious leather working talent represented on this site, so I thought I might take advantage of your wisdom.

I have been toying with an idea for a machine which has the potential to improve wet molding leather. Not only the way it takes on the shape of object, but if all goes well it could speed up the drying time as well. I am still in the process of banging out a crude prototype, but I must admit to being worse than an amateur when it comes to working with leather.

Here is where I need help.

First of all, would there be a market for something like this?

Second I am not asking anyone to divulge their trade secrets, but what weights and types of leather do you usually use for wet molding?

Last but not least, how do you currently do your wet molding?

Thanks in advance.

Good question and interesting idea.

I do my wet molding by hand with cold water. Then stitch up the holster and lastly hot water to set the leather and give it some structure if that is what I'm looking for.

For me it would be how detailed would it make it and no or minimal damage to the leather. It it was reasonably priced I would consider it because I'm just starting out.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I have yet to try the process so this whole thing may be a flash in the pan, but I can't imagine that it would harm the leather, nor that it would possible to get the same level of detail by hand.

Where do you purchase the leather you use?
    I want to get some of the more commonly used stuff, and run a few samples, before I sink money into a full scale model.

As for pricing, that is a long way off, I can't see it being too pricy though. Then again, they will all likely be hand built as I doubt there will be a big enough market for them to be mass produced.

It would be nice to add a little to our savings for a new home and help populate my workshop with a few new toys.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
    I know we have some serious leather working talent represented on this site, so I thought I might take advantage of your wisdom.

I have been toying with an idea for a machine which has the potential to improve wet molding leather. Not only the way it takes on the shape of object, but if all goes well it could speed up the drying time as well. I am still in the process of banging out a crude prototype, but I must admit to being worse than an amateur when it comes to working with leather.

Here is where I need help.

First of all, would there be a market for something like this?

Second I am not asking anyone to divulge their trade secrets, but what weights and types of leather do you usually use for wet molding?

Last but not least, how do you currently do your wet molding?

Thanks in advance.
    This is where you need to go for info on holster making. Read all 35 or more pages. There are several life times worth of info.

http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewforum...e8b2b6212e3beb
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Good link Gunfighter! Thanks for posting.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links