Flashlight Review: Amilite Neo T5 SSC

This is a discussion on Flashlight Review: Amilite Neo T5 SSC within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am on the never ending search for the perfect "every day carry" flashlight. In that search I've come across an array of flashlights that ...

Thread: Flashlight Review: Amilite Neo T5 SSC

I am on the never ending search for the perfect "every day carry" flashlight. In that search I've come across an array of flashlights that are almost perfect. Recently I discovered (heard about it three weeks ago and anticipated it like none other) the Amilite Neo T5. It is almost the perfect 'edc' flashlight. Not quite there but close. I'll explain its attributes and its shortcomings (few that they may be)

About a year ago I purchased the Amilite Neo T3. At the time it was the brigtest light for its size that I could find. It it is a very very small light that fits in my pocket perfectly. I'm the kinda guy that goes by the creed that one is none and two is one. So, the T3 served as my backup flashlight for last year. Sometimes it did take a break and let the less bright but longer running Fenix P1 take over but the T3 just has the upmost in quality and functionality. It has always work everytime I turned it on. I love that light.

So a few weeks ago I hear that Amilite is coming out with a new light. This excited me to no end. I could not wait for the release. Usually I wait till a few people buy one a report how they like it. This was different. I had the T3 and love it. So I figured I would go ahead and get the Amilite Neo T5 SSC. (SSC stands for Seoul Semi Conductor which is the manufacturer for the LED) The T5 sports a Seoul SSC p4 emitter which like the new Cree LED's claim double the performance of conventional Luxeon LED's. Besided the upgraded LED, Amilite listened to many people that had the T3 but wanted a clicky tailcap. How cool, a manufacturer that listens to its costumers. :) No only did they add the clicky tailcap but they made it a two stage clicky so you get a dimmer brightness with extended runtime if need be. What could be better right? Well thats what I asked myself. I couldn't answer myself either utill I actually go the light to look at for myself. (uh oh, there I go having conversations with myself again) :D

So, I ordered the T5. It showed up on my doorstep not a week later.

Amilite claims the flashlight is 140 lumens on high and 15 on low. On high the light will last for 1 hour till you get about 1/2 its initial brightness. On low it will last 10 hours. Pretty cool huh? Well, I think the T5 fell short in the brightness catagory but it is still VERY bright. My guess would be that it is somewhere in the 100 lumens area. That is only a guess and based that off of know lumens ratings of other flahslights I have. The switch is a reverse clicky so pushing the switch in part ways won't produce any light. (no momentary on) The switch works like this, from off you click it and you get low, click it again and you get high, click it once more you turn it off and the squence starts over. My biggest gripe is that there is no momentary on. This flashlight would be perfect for me if there was a momentary on that would give me the brightest setting. Thats about the only gripe I've had with this light.

Replacing the battery will be different from most lights and unless you have a Surefire E series flashlight then you will think its wierd. You take the head off and replace the battery through that end. Pretty simple just different.

Initially I thought that Amilite used the same circuitry from the T3 in the T5 but I took reading and the T3 is pulling 1.09 mAh while the T5 is pulling 1.13mAh. I'm not any where near understanding electronics so I'm not sure if the same drive could pull more amps just from a different LED or not.

Thats enough about the light, lets see some pics with beamshots and stuff. :)

Here is the light.

pretty cute huh?

Here is the Amilite with several other lights just to show you size comparison.

the only physical flaw I could find was this.

Notice the anodizing just under the threads.

The T5 comes apart in the sections(head, body, and tail)

The bezel has an orange peel reflector similar to surefire.

One very cool thing is the copper heat sink. You don't generally see that. (or at least I don't)

And just a close up of the tailcap.

Before we get to the beamshots I thought I would share this. I upgraded some software and found some new features. I got to playing around and thought this turned out kinda neat for an artsy feel.

Ok so now some beamshots. I putting thumbnails on here so just click on the thumbnail if you want a closer view. This is just down my hallway which is about 20-25 feet.

Here is the Amilite Neo T5 on high

The T5 on low.

The rest are for comparison.

Amilite Neo T3

Surefire E1l

Fenix P1

HDS EDC U60 on high (60 lumens)

HDS EDC U60 on factory primary setting (I believe this is 10 lumens)

Fenix L1T on High

Fenix L1T on Low

Maglite 3d LED

Mini MagLite LED (2AA)

Streamlight Scorpion

Streamlight TL-2 LED (second gen)

Thats all for now. If you have any questions just let me know. :)

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Oh, Almost forgot I got the light from http://www.amilite.co.kr/
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

VIP Member
    That flashlight looks nice and has great features!

Thanks for doing your write-up.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to retake the beamshots. I didn't realize I had so much ambient light coming in. I just got my Fenix L2D CE so I'll have to take beamshots anyway.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Great Looking Light...

And a great report too...

I wonder how the T5 hallway shot would compare with an E2e hallway shot?

I sometimes wonder about lumens, candle power, or the other magic terms they use...

I must say that the light (using only 1 battery) is impressive!

Stay armed...stay bright...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    And a great report too...

I wonder how the T5 hallway shot would compare with an E2e hallway shot?

I sometimes wonder about lumens, candle power, or the other magic terms they use...

I must say that the light (using only 1 battery) is impressive!

Stay armed...stay bright...stay safe!

ret
    I don't have an E2e but from other beamshots I've seen comparing the E2e to other lights I actually do have I would say this little T5 would crush the E2e in output. :) But I'm not 100% positive about that.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Links