Great New Inexpensive Light

This is a discussion on Great New Inexpensive Light within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a Great New Inexpensive Light from Cabela's yesterday. Can't believe it was only $19.99. Its the Cabela's Hyper LED aluminum flashlight. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great New Inexpensive Light

I just picked up a Great New Inexpensive Light from Cabela's yesterday. Can't believe it was only $19.99.

Its the Cabela's Hyper LED aluminum flashlight.
    - 3 watt white Luxeon LED (brightest single LED I've seen)
    - 65 Lumens
    - burn time 6 hrs
    - 50 yard throw
    - uses 2 "AA" alkaline batteries (yes AA alkaline batteries)
    - pocket clip
    - wrist lanyard
    - lock out tail cap switch
    - anodized machined aluminum
    - length 5 1/2 inches (same size as a Kubotan/Yawara)

I've paid 2-3 times as much for a similar light which needs lithium batteries. I compared it to Surefires and Streamlights and it is very close in quality and light throw... and its an LED!

An LED as bright as a Xenon bulb that runs on AA alkaline batteries for under $20.00. I'll be picking up 2-3 more my next trip.

My new EDC light!
    Last edited by Kankujoe; March 18th, 2007 at 01:00 AM.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

I gotta' Look Into These...

It can't hurt to have extra light around the house...sounds impressive!

Thanks for the info...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It can't hurt to have extra light around the house...sounds impressive!

Thanks for the info...

ret
    If I would have found this light last year I would have saved myself mucho bucks... my other lights are nice but this inexpensive one is great! The only thing that would make it better is if it came in black (it's a dark grey). Nice color but I'd prefer black.
    KJ

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

I have kinda been on the fence about a light for EDC. Maybe with a price like this I will get one.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Assistant Administrator
    I have too many flashlights already but heck - I do feel another purchase coming on

Hard to go too wrong at that price, even allowing a bit extra for shipping. I do also like having one or two lights with AA battery options and am already a fan of LED heads - IMO they are in part the future of lower output lights - and I mean ''lower'' purely in relative terms!

Thx for the review.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I have too many flashlights already but heck - I do feel another purchase coming on

Hard to go too wrong at that price, even allowing a bit extra for shipping. I do also like having one or two lights with AA battery options and am already a fan of LED heads - IMO they are in part the future of lower output lights - and I mean ''lower'' purely in relative terms!

Thx for the review.
    I haven't seen them on Cabela's website yet... I've only seen them in my local retail store...
    KJ

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    Yep, that's it. Great light for a great price...
    KJ

OK, if it is a true 65 lumen light with a 6 hour run time on AA batteries, then I MUST have some!!!

Question: how does it compare to Surefire or similar 6v xenon as a 'blind and disorient' weapon for night time home defense use? Until I find a good source of flash-bang genades, I will have to make do with a blinding flash light. Is this one gonna get'r done?

Question: do you really get 6 hours out of a set of batteries?

Also - I hope you and everyone else who buys from Cabela's will write a quick and simple review of the product. It helps others who might be interested in that product, and it also helps Cabela's to know how their customers feel about that product.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I might have my head in the sand, but I have never found an LED that I like...yet.

They just don't have the throw that I like, and I absolutely HATE the bluish hue that they put out.

Finally Ordered...

Just bought two...now I can use them to find my other flashlights...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I might have my head in the sand, but I have never found an LED that I like...yet.

They just don't have the throw that I like, and I absolutely HATE the bluish hue that they put out.
    I used to think the same but this new Luxeon LED bulb throws a bright light. I shined both lights side my side at several objects outside at night (I live on wooded acreage) and the 65 lumen LED was as bright as the 80 lumen Xenon light side by side on most objects. When I shined them on my white camper I noticed a very slight blue tint from the Luxeon LED vs. a harsher yellow tint from the Xenon bulb. It is actually easier on my eyes to see objects with the slight blue tint... but both lights are extremely harsh if flashed in your own eyes. The throw was well over 50 yards for both lights but the Cabela's light cost 1/3 to 1/5 the price AND it uses "AA" batteries which is a major plus for me.

Another big plus is that the length is 5 & 1/2 inches long vs 4 & 3/4 to 5 inches for most other small two cell lights. I have taught and used Kubotan techniqes for years now as part of my martial arts classes and the new Cabela's light is the same length as a Kutotan. The 1/2 to 3/4 inch does make a difference.
    Last edited by Kankujoe; March 28th, 2007 at 11:45 PM.
    KJ

My wife already thinks I have some kind of OCD hording complex when it comes to flashlights but I think I could slip one of these into the vast collection with out her getting too upset.

I like the look of the light, seems to be about the right size for use and uses 2 AA batteries. How can you go wrong with the price too?

Looks like I need to order one or two of these. Why buy only one when you can have 2 for only twice the price?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I know you guys think that because it uses AA batts that makes it better on the ol' pocketbook right?

Nothing could be further from the truth when you look at the quality of the two. CR123 lithiums will outlast AND outperform AA's every time. Plus, put 'em in a drawer for 10 years and they will still work! AA batts won't last 6 months, and they drain sitting in your flashlight! And you know how your flashlight beam goes dark orange just before it quits while using AA's? With lithiums, they might go dead faster, but you get more "useable" light before it starts to die as opposed to dark orange light that is useless! Meaning Lithiums stay bright up until the bitter end.

I threw away all of my "AA" flashlights when I discovered SureFire!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I know you guys think that because it uses AA batts that makes it better on the ol' pocketbook right?

Nothing could be further from the truth when you look at the quality of the two. CR123 lithiums will outlast AND outperform AA's every time. Plus, put 'em in a drawer for 10 years and they will still work! AA batts won't last 6 months, and they drain sitting in your flashlight! And you know how your flashlight beam goes dark orange just before it quits while using AA's? With lithiums, they might go dead faster, but you get more "useable" light before it starts to die as opposed to dark orange light that is useless! Meaning Lithiums stay bright up until the bitter end.

I threw away all of my "AA" flashlights when I discovered SureFire!
    I agree that lithium batteries are better... but my view is: burn time for a lithium is about an hour give or take... alkaline AA burn time is 6 hours give or take...

just like I cycle through my carry ammo atleast every 6 months or so, I'll do the same with my EDC flashlight batteries... my higher-dollar lithium flashlights will now rest in my night stand or vehicle door pocket... my AA flashlight will be on me... besides I believe I could also use lithium AA size batteries in this light... if I was so inclined... maybe down the road I'll do this... depending on how things go with this new light...

I'm not trying to convince anyone one-way-or-the-other... I just found a new light that I consider a good value... and I thought I'd put the word out... I'm always open to someone else's finds or suggestions that might also be helpful to me as well...
    KJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links