Best Light w/ AA Batteries?

This is a discussion on Best Light w/ AA Batteries? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there are a lot of posts about tach lights but I am interestred in a decent light for EDC that usese AA batteries. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Light w/ AA Batteries?

Best Light w/ AA Batteries?

I know there are a lot of posts about tach lights but I am interestred in a decent light for EDC that usese AA batteries. I read about one from cabela's, the Cabela's Hyper LED aluminum flashlight. Any others out there that are decent?
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

You might want to look at the new mag lights with the leds on them...the work pretty good......
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Coast makes a good LED light that uses AA batteries. I bought the one I have at Lowe's. $19.95 IIRC.

You Are Right About That...

Quote Originally Posted by aimhigh View Post
    You might want to look at the new mag lights with the leds on them...the work pretty good......
    I was just in Home Depot and decided to change the bulbs in my two mags...a 4-cell (D), and a 2-cell(D)...

I purchased just the new bulb...$20 each...it made a BIG difference in each flashlights capabilities...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Got one of these a couple weeks ago: http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixl2d.htm

I'm really happy with it.

Joe

You get what you pay for with lights.

Hand held lights are like anything other product in this world, you get what you pay for.

I've yet to see any hand held light that isn't a Surefire of one kind or another that compares in brightness or durability to any of the Surefire hand held lights. Generally any decent hand held light is going to require lithium batteries, not AA standard cell batteries.

I recently purchased another Surefire E2E Defender in a group purchase over at www.professionalsoldiers.com with the tail cap momentary and constant on position. It requires two lithium batteries and is small enough to fit into a shirt pocket, and only 4" long. However I recently had the opportunity to compare it to one of the local PD officers Mag-Lights that is 15" long and my little Surefire lit up the entire room, which was mechanics garage at night, and he was amazed that my little shirt pocket size light was so much brighter. It's an incadecsent lamp with 60 lumens of output for 2 hours of constant run time, and you can purchase the LED bezzle if your want to run the light more efficiently with lithium batteries.

In the end, I doubt that any AA battery light is going to perfom as good as any Surefire hand held.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

The magLED is a good light. I have a Fenix L1T that found its way into my pocket on more than one occasion. Also, I just recently purchased a Fenix L2D CE. Talk about bright. Way brighter than 90% of Surefires 2x (or 1x) cr123 flashlights. :) It is a great utility light. 120 lumens (actual tested lumens) on max and a low 10 lumens that will run for almost 60 hours without dimming. (over 85 hours on lithium AA's) Check here for a review.

While Surefire is awesome and has great quality but they are not the only quality flashlight on the block. They are top LE and Military contractor for flashlights for sure, but there are other similar quality flashlights for less on the market. Some with better machineing, some with better electronics (LEDs) some with better LED's (for now, surefire is supposed to come out with updated LED flashlights in the next couple months).

I would say right now Fenix is the best AA light for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    It's an incadecsent lamp with 60 lumens of output for 2 hours of constant run time.
    While the E2d is an awesome light. Reports show that the batteries only last for less than an hour (to 50% brightness) of diminishing output. Check this out. I've always been fascinated by the E2d but the runtime is what has kept me from it. Supposedly there are upgraded lamp assemblies you can get for it from lumen factory that will make it much bright for about the same runtime. I may check into that.

clipse
    Last edited by clipse; March 22nd, 2007 at 09:54 AM.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by clipse View Post
    The magLED is a good light. I have a Fenix L1T that found its way into my pocket on more than one occasion. Also, I just recently purchased a Fenix L2D CE. Talk about bright. Way brighter than 90% of Surefires 2x (or 1x) cr123 flashlights. :) It is a great utility light. 120 lumens (actual tested lumens) on max and a low 10 lumens that will run for almost 60 hours without dimming. (over 85 hours on lithium AA's) Check here for a review.

I would say right now Fenix is the best AA light for the money.

clipse
    Very nice sounding light. I know you get what you pay for and I am only going to sink about $50.00 into a light so the Fenix looks like a great option. I have a job that will give me a somewhat never ending supply of AA batteries as well. Anyone else looking for a good light and wanting to run easily accessable AA batteries should check it out.

~ Thomas Jefferson

Skygod, I would have agreed with you re: Surefire up till now.

This Fenix is amazing. The highpower, hard use flashlight craze that Surefire started has actually expanded so far around them that they have gone from maverick innovator to blue-chip standard already!

Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Surefire products, but they are no longer the brightest solution out there.

I wouldn't have believed that a 3v LED could be brighter than a 6v xenon - and until very recently, it wouldn't have been - untill I saw the new generation of Cree lamps; the Fenix being the most sophisticated usage so far.

There is a new LED coming from Phillips that will but them all to shame.

Have a look over at candlepowerforums.com for all the latest and greatest in handheld blindification technology!

Meanwhile, check out one of the new Fenix lights and prepare to be amazed. The Fenix is now my EDC, edging out my A2 Aviator.

Joe

Senior Moderator
    Well I carry a cheap Dorcay

I like the idea of using a standard battery, so AA works well for me.

Thanks for the Fenix link
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I bought one of those Cabela's $19.99 Hyper LED lights that uses "AA" batteries... It's great! My next trip to Cabela's I'll get a few more it they haven't sold out...

I live in the woods and I've compared it to my other more expensive tactical lights... It is a great light!!!

3 Watt, 65 lumens, pocket clip, lanyard, "AA"!! batteries, 6 hour burn time, 50 yard throw... Luxeon LED... as bright as the Xenon bulb... light beam has a slight bluish tint as opposed to the standard yellow tint of a Xenon bulb...

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't buy one and try it out... wish I found this one last year, it would have saved me some big bucks...
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Is this the same cabela's light you have?
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...158&hasJS=true

Here is a reveiw of the Feniz L2D

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews...1dce-l2dce.htm

Looks like there are some great options using AA batteries.. I think the Feniz L2D looks like a hard to beat option for the money.

~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    Is this the same cabela's light you have?
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...158&hasJS=true
    Yes, that's the light.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links