Mag Light LED

This is a discussion on Mag Light LED within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone done the LED conversion for their MAG LIGHT? I have two 3D lights and was thinking of getting the LED bulbs for them. ...

Thread: Mag Light LED

Mag Light LED

Has anyone done the LED conversion for their MAG LIGHT? I have two 3D lights and was thinking of getting the LED bulbs for them. Are they brighter or just longer lasting? Is it really worth $20. This more than doubles the cost of the light.
    -Biker

2. Remove Ads

They run longer and are a bit brighter. Here is a review. If it were me (and I'm kinda in the same boat) I would get this LED upgrade. Better heat sinking, better performance, brighter, and lasts longer.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    One of my contractors gave me one of the 2AA Mini MagLEDs (3W LED) as a gift last week. It's as bright as my Surefire 6P Defender. Don't know how long the batteries will last and how long it can maintain that brightness, but it's a nice light. I put it on my Mossberg 590A1. It needed a light.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Worth it to me. I also bought one of the new 3 AA LED mini-Mags- a great light and not a bad short-baton.

well, i bought the conversion kit for the AA minimag. i'm not too happy with it. no spotlight, just a white floodlight, that doesn't last too long. i do like the tailswitch, but i don't think it was worth the money. for the price of the original light and the kit, i could've bought another streamlight, or perhaps a nuwai taclight.

I have the 3 AA, 3W mag Rob was talking about; and I got it for use as a short baton also! I am very happy with it. I have found it to provide adiquite light for about 30 yards.
    I too bought the conversion kit for the 2 AA mini mag. I was going to mount it on a gun. I didn't realize it was non-adjustable flood; and a sloppy one at that. Lets see... I paid about $9 for the regular mini mag, and $10 for the upgrade. I ended up giving it to my girlfriend to keep in her purse. Now I wish I had just bought the 2 AA, 3W LED for $24.
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

Yes...And I Was A Doubter...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    Has anyone done the LED conversion for their MAG LIGHT? I have two 3D lights and was thinking of getting the LED bulbs for them. Are they brighter or just longer lasting? Is it really worth $20. This more than doubles the cost of the light.
    I have two large D-cell mags...a 2 battery and a 4 battery...

I first put the $20 bulb in the 4 battery flashlight, it made a noticeable difference...then I decided to also get a bulb for the 2 battery...again, well worth the investment...remember, battery life will increase 4-5x...

Do it...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I tried the upgrade first and was not pleased. I then bought the new MAG AA, and the MAG 2 D. WoW! I am truly impressed with both. My old MAG 2D had been beat up pretty bad over the years, still works, but my new best friends are the new LED 3 watt MAGs. Just my opinion.
    God Bless the USA

Thanks for the response guys. I have a Pentagonlight for a tac light, like that a lot. What I am looking for is a full size light. Didn't know if it was woth the money to upgrade. I want to get a 2 cell C for the car and maybe I'll upgrade the two 3D units I have at home later.
    -Biker

I got a three LED replacement for my 3D mag, and was not impressed. This was about two years back.

The newer ones may be better?
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I think there is some confusion here. If you got a multiple LED conversion then it is not made my Mag Lite and not very bright. Right now Mag Lite does not make an LED conversion of the Mini Mag. Nite Ize does. The did come out with a 3 LED version that was 5mm LEDs and was not very bright. Nite Ize recently came out with a Luxeon I conversion that is MUCH better.

Nite Ize also makes an LED conversion for the C/D sized Mags. Its is not very bright but runs FOREVER(almost).

Mag Lite makes an LED Conversion for the C/D sized Mags that is a LuxIII LED and is very bright compared to other LED's. Problem is, it will hit 50% bright in the first 15 minutes because it can't handle the heat and will plane out and have a very long runtime.

Terralux makes LED replacements for both the AA and C/D sized Mags. These are better than the Mag Lites and worth the extra money IMHO. They are much brighter and the LED has better heat sinking so no worrying about frying the LED. Also, it will not dim to 1/2 its initial brightness in the first 15 minutes.

edited to add: I decided to go ahead and order the Terralux SSC upgrade. I have a 3D with a Mag Lite LuxIII to compare too. I'll let you guys know how it is when I get it.
    Last edited by clipse; April 3rd, 2007 at 10:15 AM.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Links