ACOG, EOTech, RedDot, and Traditional Scopes

This is a discussion on ACOG, EOTech, RedDot, and Traditional Scopes within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hear lots about different scopes ACOG, EOTech and RedDots to name a few. What are the pros and cons of these different scopes and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACOG, EOTech, RedDot, and Traditional Scopes

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

I hear lots about different scopes ACOG, EOTech and RedDots to name a few.

What are the pros and cons of these different scopes and are there others that I should research as well?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

If you can afford it, ACOG is #1. The next best IMHO is EOTech. Especially the model that works with night vision....They've been recently upgraded to extend battery life for thousands of hours on a single set of batteries.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Well, it's totally dependent on what you're using it for. ACOGs have magnification (though Trijicon also makes non-magnifying optics), EOTechs and traditional "red-dots" do not (though Aimpoint makes a 2x version/attachment for theirs).

These manufacturers (Trijicon, EOTech, and Aimpoint) are pretty much the top of the line for their respective types of optics. If you want a low power scope with a very visible reticle, that is compact, rugged, and all around "high speed," then the ACOG fits the bill.

If you want a VERY fast optic for CWB, that is also rugged, reliable, has a long battery life, et cetera, the EOTech HOLOSight is hard to beat.

If you prefer a traditional red-dot (as opposed to the holographic "heads up display" of the EOTech) then the new Aimpoints are an excellent choice.

If you can better describe your needs, perhaps we could give you more focused advice...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Lead Moderator
    what OPFOR said. alot depends on usage.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I am getting the AR15 for a SHTF scenario.

Basically my plan is put my wife and daughter in the truck with 5 days worth supplies and get my family away from trouble and protect them until order is restored by the authorities.

I will have a .45, a 12 GA Shotgun and the AR to do it with. I am looking for the right optics.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

What about Bushnell's HOLOsight XLP? It is lower profile for long guns.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

The ACOG is more of a "battle rifle" type optic. As others have mentioned, it's got magnification (most models run in the 4x to 6x range). It's usable in close quarters, but it's real forte is when you get out beyond a hundred meters or so. You see a lot of these on rifles in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The EOTech and various red dot sights fall into the close combat optic category. They usually don't have any magnification (though as has been mentioned, a few red dots are available with relatively low magnification: 1.5x to 2x). They're generally going to be faster than an ACOG at close range (50 meters or less), but because they lack magnification, they aren't as accurate once you get out to the longer distances. You see a lot of these on SWAT team carbines and the like.

It really boils down to what range you'll be shooting at. If you targets are going to be on the other side of the room, go for an EOTech or red dot. If they're a few hundred meters out, go for the ACOG. Of course, you can still use an ACOG at close range and reach out and touch someone with an EOTech if you have to, but they're not quite as good outside of their niche. Personally, my home defense rifle's got an EOTech on it. However, if I lived out in the country, I might go for an ACOG instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    What about Bushnell's HOLOsight XLP? It is lower profile for long guns.
    Bushnell licenses the technology for it's HOLOsight line from EOTech. The optics are exactly the same, but the EOTechs are considerably more rugged and built to stand up to military/law enforcement use.

Does the EOTech give off light if you are looking at it from down range?
    Timmy Jimmy

I really like the ACOGs and would want one for my .308 AR when funds permit.

The red dots and holo sights are better for close quarters. For my AR15 carbine, I've had an Aimpoint M4 red dot for the last 4 years. It's a great sight. Very rugged, waterproof, adjustable for lighting conditions, no parallax, both eyes open. No visible light for anyone to see. I haven't had the opportunity to try the Eotech sights, but they also look excellent. I'd like to get one of them to put on my AR15 SBR.

I suggest take a good look at all of them and see which viewfinder appeals to you most. Cabela's in Buda probably has all of them in stock, and there's usually a dealer at the Saxet Gun Show, coming up in Austin on April 21-22.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Does the EOTech give off light if you are looking at it from down range?
    Nope.

VIP Member
    There is a "mini" ACOG that is very small and light, with a 2.5x magnification - pics of it here: http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=22796
    I used this while doing protection in Baghdad - it's fast to acquire and allows for two-eyes open use when you're in close, but has enough magnification to make 300m shots boringly routine. A good compromise, IMO, between a "red-dot" and a more traditional scope. It's what I'm using now, where I have an anticipated engagement range between 0 and 100m, and the possibility of having to take precision shots at 25-50m.

In Afghanistan, where I went from clearing rooms and buildings one day to sitting with some of my snipers overlooking literally thousands of meters of open ground the next day, I swapped between my EOTech and a Leupold 2-7x variable. The Leupold is longer and bulkier, but I really needed the higher magnification for scanning (if not for shooting - my M4 was never going to compete with the M24/M14/M109 my shooters were carrying), and if I turned it down to 2x it was still a viable close-in optic. You may be best served by one of these (or a similar one from Nikon or other relatively equivalent manufacturers) - they are significantly cheaper than any ACOG, though you do give up some of the special features that make ACOGs so good...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Leupold makes a variable 1-4X (I think) optic with an illuminated reticle. The idea is to have a low mag scope and reflex sight at the turn of a dial. I've not used this and haven't heard much about it.

For about the same price as the ACOG (maybe less even) there is the ELCAN. I've seen these used on SAWs and 240Bs. Neat little (short but thick) scopes somewhere between 3-4X with a graduated reticle (for either 7.62 or 5.56).

For an AR (especially a carbine), I see more loss than gain above 4X.
    I never had much use for reflex sights either. The main improvements seemed to be shooting with both eye's open (which can be learned with iron sights) and non-dominant eye accuracy.

If you choose to get an optic, I highly recommend you mount it in such a manner that it does not prevent the use of iron sights. Rail mounts are also good to configure the rifle depending on the mission.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I'm No Scope Expert...

I just put an EO Tech Holigraphic scope on my AR. It works very well with these old eyes...site acquisition is perfect for any situation I would find myself in if TSHTF...although...barring a nuke or chem situation, I'm staying right here...
    I can hit anything I can see around my place...and there will be a neighborhood group to assist with 'keeping the peace'...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have an eotech and love it.

I used it in training for 20 hours or so and it is fast, fast, fast.

The guys using acogs seemed slower on target. Out to 100 yards or so the eotech is simply brilliant.

If you are expecting engagements beyond that there is a 3X magnifier available as well for the eotech.
    The Marshmallowist

I have an Eo-tech on my M4 and love it, but another officer at work has what I think is THE set-up (if you can afford it) :
    An ACOG with JP Enterprises JPoint optic mounted on top of it for the best of both worlds. The ACOG with magnification for reaching out and touching someone, and the very small and light JP optic with no magnification but red dot retical for CQB work.
    You can check this out on their web-site : www.jprifles.com
    Click on "Products", then "Scopes and Optics", then "Jpoint" and scroll down for a pic of the ACOG set-up.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links