Defensive Carry banner

My thoughts on a MAG-Lite modification (long).

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Bryan 
#1 ·
I’ve owned various Mag-lites for over 15 years now and have come to appreciate their ruggedness. With the new markets for Surefire and many others they are becoming somewhat outdated. I have some Ideas that would help increase their usefulness. They are a good base for modification because of easily being replaceable from any Wal-Mart for under $20. Here’s a brief story and ideas on a Mag-lite adaptation.

Originally I was a firm 4 D-cell guy (better bludgeon potential and output). Over 4 cells was too heavy and 3 cells left you with an extra battery rolling around. But then the good people here turned me on to the virtues of the smaller C-cell mag-lites. I was doubtful at fist but they really do fit your hand better. This would also explain my frequent dropping of my D-cell. As with dropping my D-cell, the filament would almost always break while it was on. I purchased a 4-C cell and dropped in a MagLED. I really wanted a 5-cell for added reach but the MagLED only went up to 4-cells.

Now it is even better with the TerraLUX TLE-6EXA. I also ordered an aluminum reflector for better output/spill and because they are more rugged then the standard one. As well as being lighter and more ergonomic it became almost shock proof, more reliable and with even better output. Now I could really use my light as a bludgeon in an emergency. They don’t allow security to carry weapons usually (a big flashlight is not a weapon to most people). The only problem to fix now was the light frequently rolling off the table or falling over if placed on its head.

I got the rubber hex accessory to stop that from happening, but it would fall off if anything caught on it. I thought it would be better if the accessory screwed onto where the lens retainer ring was. Then Surefire’s use of a Crenellated bezel (E2D defender) came to mind. What if we killed two birds with one stone? Make the retainer ring hexagonal and put crenellated fingers on it. This way it would stop the rolling issues, allow light to be seen if it were placed on its face, and be better as last resort bludgeon.

The Hexagonal points would be an excellent place for 6 fingers. The inside would be metal with the outside being rubberized to keep it from dinging up anything if it fell. The fingers would have to be short to keep interference with the beam down. Then the tail cap could then be similarly modified with 4 fingers (into a modified pommel). This would be great for standing the light up to point at the ceiling while not having to remove the head (though it will still be susceptible to falling over).

The pommel would also assist in an overhead swing that is already an excepted defense tactic. The pommel would keep the light from slipping out of the hand when allowing the light to slide forward when extending the grip to the rear. I dropped my light many times while doing this. An additional lanyard hole would be good for this as well. The only problem is it would be difficult to use with belt holders. I don’t see them used much anymore because they let the light flop around a great deal.

So this idea will turn the mag-lite into a basic morningstar or combat light. Now with the current sheepness over anything that looks dangerous, this may not be a good idea to carry around casually. The modifications do have non-weapon uses and justification for them. The modification would be easily reversible for normal situations, just re-install the standard parts.

It would be nice to have someone help with the design and fabrication, if I cannot find a place willing to make these. I do not have access to machine shop equipment. The selling point (if it gets there) would be for its looks, defensive capabilities, and drop in functionality. The inexpensive replacement of the host would also be attractive. The front bezel adaptation would work with both C and D models while the tail cap would be different for C or D’s.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
#5 ·
That bezel is really nice But you should put some flats or groves on it to keep the light from rolling. I would buy that in a heart beat if you put a hex ring on it. That's why I haven't replaced my rubber hex accessory already. Dose the added length on the fingers cut in to the beam much?

I though maybe cutting some threads on the tail cap and screw something similar to your bezel on the back to stand the light up(for pointing at the ceiling). Maybe I'll just glue the hex accessory to the back of my C-cell like I did with my D-cell.

#6 ·
I could glue a cut down hex ring behind your bezel on the lower part. This would provide cushioning and anti-roll. Now to get something made for the tail cap.

#8 ·
Naw I'm looking for something that can be used as a batto... I mean really bright flashlight.

#10 ·
Here's an good defence light but the price sucks and they only sell to LEO's. LOOK OUT!!! the guy has got a flash light! They need to update their led and lower their price to get more business. still Surefire could learn a thing or two from the aggressive design.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/

#11 ·
screwman: I go there a lot now. They are just not as defence oriented so I don't want to scar them.:image035:

#12 ·
oops that earlier post was the wrong website sorry this is the correct one:

http://www.brite-strike.com/about.html

I had an idea about getting a large aluminum nut and using a Lathe to taper it down. I would leave a small portion of the hex part and crenelate the back. All that would be remain is to drill a hole for a lanyard and tap threads into the Mag-lite tail-cap. How would one do a Hard Anodized Type III coat?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.