Bug-out Bags

This is a discussion on Bug-out Bags within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know we've beat this to death a couple of months ago on what to put in them and such so now I'm checking to ...

View Poll Results: Where is your Bug-Out Bag?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • At home

22 30.56%
  • In the Vehicle

12 16.67%
  • On my person

8 11.11%
  • One at home, and one in the vehicle

19 26.39%
  • One at home, one in the vehicle, one on my person

6 8.33%
  • None of the above. I am completely unprepared for disaster.

15 20.83%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug-out Bags

Bug-out Bags

I know we've beat this to death a couple of months ago on what to put in them and such so now I'm checking to see how many have followed up and put together a bug-out bag.

Do you have one at home? In the vehicle? On your person? All?

Let's hear how prepared we are.

Ron
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Have one at home and getting 2 more ready (one for each vehicle)

We are having a baby in June so the bags are going to require frequent updating.

Be Prepared
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

One in each vehicle, one at home, and one at work.

Each is capable of providing 3-5 days of food, water, and medical trauma care.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

I need to get one together. Being an outdoors type, I have lots of good camping gear that would work well, but it is stored in several boxes and would take me a while to get together. I have stockpiled enough canned and dry food and water for a month, but it is not in the form of a bug-out bag. As far as weapons, I have 400 rounds for my AR and 100 rounds for my Glock (some in magazines for both), but I need to stockpile a bit more ammo.

I have been reading this guy's blog for ideas: http://www.vikingpreparedness.blogspot.com/

I HAVE ONE AT HOME ONE IN THE TRUCK ONE AT THE OFFICE AND I CARRY A SMALL RANGE BAG WITH A CHANGE OF CLOTHES A BERETTA 92F AND 200 ROUNDS OF AMMO IN IT AND A SUREFIRE, PLUS HIGENE AND DAILY CARE ITEMS....
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

I've got one at home (this thread reminds me I ought to put some stuff I took out to go hiking over spring break back in it). It goes in my car for any sort of long distance trip. My workplace (and school) is only a mile from my apartment, so I figure that in anything short of a full zombie uprising, my EDC gear will probably be sufficient to get me home.

I picked one at home and one in the vehicle. My family bug out bag is at home, but my truck is always stocked with everything I would need to survive for several days in the woods, lighter, kindling, ammo, truck gun, change of clothes, rain gear, blanket, etc. Everything except water stays in the truck all the time. Water aint too hard to come by in FL. When I actually go out in the woods I do carry water though. Usually five gallons for me and the dogs.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I've got a bag in the car, but the one at home is actually a large, tupperware-ish tub (about a bushel size) that I can hoof out the door and into a car if need be. Plus, the tub itself can be used for water storage or distillation.

Lead Moderator
    At home. I work only a few miles from hole and could off road it easily to the house if all roads were blocked. Ruck and rifle are waited for me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I don't have a bag per se, but I am prepared for an emergency on the homefront. 50 gallons of water, food for at least 1 month, medical supplies,bleach, flashlights, candles, lighters, matches, sleeping bags, simple tools, toilet paper,ammo,etc.

I do need to make a bag though for the vehicles.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Bug Out Bags...Not Quite Sure...

This thread is a repeat of past info that has had some excellent points. Prehaps with all of the new faces, the discussion may begin again.
    I am not sure that short of a Nuke or Chem situation, that I would want to be anywhere but right at home. Through past posts I have managed to increase my 'stocks' to include many items from foods, drink, medical supplies, obviously...a small armory, batteries, generator, gas...and on, and on, and on...

I do have a small enclosed cargo trailer in which to transport needed supplies and camping equipment...I do plan, however, to only use that vehicle to transport my Harley and camping equipment for...camping...the fun type. Can I load the trailer and go quickly? Yes, but to go where?

So many talk about a B.O.B. ...a Bug Out Bag...but to go where? I can only imagine a desperate situation where an entire population or area would HAVE to move, but what a nightmare, a gridlock for sure.

If you don't have enough gas to drive the entire route, what do you do if gas stations are out? Go where? To what?

I'm much safer in my own home. I know the area. I know my neighbors...many of us are prepared...(that includes some full auto weapons). If the SHTF big time...it's will hurt us all...but I want to defend me and mine from a place I know well.
    I believe that a community that works together is much more capable of 'hanging in there'. I could probably stay in my house and local area for a couple of months without much concern.

Unless it were a short drive to a cabin on acreage, or some unique fortification...I'm staying put!

OMO...yours may vary.

Stay armed...plan ahead...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I added to my primary (home) bag after we went through this last time. I've also revamped the one for the truck. I added 200 rounds for my Witness .40, 4 cans of Spam and a gallon of water. Lots of good ideas - thanks to all!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Sorry for the confusion - I know that it's a tired subject.

I really am just asking who's got one now that perhaps didn't have one before.

It's great to sit and read this forum but action is better than words.

Are you ready?
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Too many variables

Bug out bags can be mulititude of options. First line gear should include weapon, ammo, exta mags, knife (fixed or folder) multi tool, firestarter, two to three day of rations, para-cord (25ft) chem lights, strobe light, compass (digital if a decent Pathfinder type watch, but flat magnetic works just fine) space blanket, whistle, medical trauma kit. (This varies also from simple first aid to trauma/IV therapy type items) Water purification tablets, and possibly a full bladder type Camel Back or other hydration system.

This will weigh in appr: at 20-25lps depending the type of food rations and how they are stored. (MRE's vs Canned goods)

Poncho's and other comfort gear should be considered second line gear. That is if you can fit it and hump it with your first line gear. Socks, outer wear etc are going to take up more space in your bag and only should be applied if your bug out bag is capable of accomodating second line gear.

Dont forget a deck of cards. Boredom will in fact be a factor if you've stoved up in a comfy shelter and cannot leave due to inclimate weather.

There's so many things to list, but with one simple bag, this is what I'd personally want based on other readings and experience.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Bug out gear carried on my person is a true survival load: CCW, extra magazine, knife, cell phone, lighter.

For my motorcycle I add minor items such as duct tape, space blanket and beef jerky.

For my wife's car I have a breakdown kit, warm jacket, gloves, flares, wool blanket & shovel. She won't let me put more in there.

My truck have everything for an extended camp-out, including pump shotgun, 6 days food & water for 2, small tent, cold/wet weather gear for 2, trauma kit, spare 12g & 9mm ammo, cooking gear and 2 small rucks to carry it if required. Oh, and 5 gals of stabilized diesel, eventually I'd like to get a transfer tank for extended range. I also have all the usual tings, tool kit, tow chains, etc.

The house is set for an extended bug-in, and of course with enough time that can be turned into an extended bug out. 6mos canned/ long-shelf life foods, 50gal water, more medical supplies, more ammo, bigger tent... etc.

EDIT: THis depends. In the winter in the Colorado high country, or anywhere that it gets cold and/or wet, good cold weather gear becomes more important even than food or weaponry. Does you no good to have all that and then freeze to death/ die of hypothermia.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Poncho's and other comfort gear should be considered second line gear. That is if you can fit it and hump it with your first line gear. Socks, outer wear etc are going to take up more space in your bag and only should be applied if your bug out bag is capable of accomodating second line gear.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; April 10th, 2007 at 01:28 PM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links