Weaponlight for a Rifle

This is a discussion on Weaponlight for a Rifle within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't quite know whether to put this thread here or in the Rifle forum, so mods feel free to relocate it if it would ...

Thread: Weaponlight for a Rifle

Weaponlight for a Rifle

I don't quite know whether to put this thread here or in the Rifle forum, so mods feel free to relocate it if it would be more appropriate there.

In a couple of months the Polite Society group I shoot with is planning a night shoot, and last weekend we were talking about including a carbine stage. This has inspired me to get off my duff and get serious about adding a weaponlight to my rifle. However, I'm somewhat at a loss as to what exactly I should get.

I really like my Surefire flashlight, but their weaponlight seem awfully pricey. Other manufacturers generally seem to run a little cheaper, but I don't know if they're as good. Most pistol lights seem to be less expensive than ones intended for a rifle, is there any disadvantage to using a pistol weaponlight on my rifle? The cheapest option out there seems to be to get a mount and a tailcap pressure switch from Brownells and just clamp a regular old Surefire 6P to my rifle, but I don't know how well the flashlight would stand up to that.

So, I want something cheap, durable, reliable, and bright. I'm not asking for much am I? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    surefire makes a shock bezel for the 6P/ G2 lights. Depending on the gun recoil may damage the bulb assemble w/ o a shock bezel.
    I have had good luck with the Streamlight M6 / M5 lights on my AR. For a carbine light , I would recommend NOT using a LED lamp, since they do not throw the beam as far.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Though I do not know your weapon type, I have mounted a Streamlight M3 on my AR. Its not as bright as my Surefire but it works. Another option is simply to install a Surefire on your rifle with a scope ring but you'll prob end up buying a new lense (just get the rifle one if you do).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Though I do not know your weapon type
    Well if you click on the my rifle link either here, or in my first post, you'll see some nice pics of my Robinson Armament XCR (three months and I'm still loving it ).

I'll definitely take a look at the M3.

Check out the Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle Illumination System from Streamlight

It uses a Streamlight TL-3 light with a shockproof bulb. It is rated at 211 lumens, this thing is bright. I have one one my RRA CAR-A4, held on with just a scope mount and a layer of bicycle inner tube. If you want to go cheaper, you can get the light itself for about $60, the shockproof lamp for about $15 and a pair of scope mounts for $10.

Mine is mounted where I can activate the tail switch with the front edge of my support hand. The tailswitch can be replaced with a pressure tape switch if desired, but I find I have less incidence of accidental light activation with my current setup.
    Last edited by okgr8outdrs; April 10th, 2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added tail switch info
    Jeff
    Preparing the way...Straightening the path.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by okgr8outdrs View Post
    Check out the Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle Illumination System from Streamlight

It uses a Streamlight TL-3 light with a shockproof bulb. It is rated at 211 lumens, this thing is bright. I have one one my RRA CAR-A4, held on with just a scope mount and a layer of bicycle inner tube. If you want to go cheaper, you can get the light itself for about $60, the shockproof lamp for about $15 and a pair of scope mounts for $10.

Mine is mounted where I can activate the tail switch with the front edge of my support hand. The tailswitch can be replaced with a pressure tape switch if desired, but I find I have less incidence of accidental light activation with my current setup.
    Heartily agree with the Thunder Ranch light kit - I have one on my M4 for greeting "things that go bump in the night".

Solid mount (quick detachable for convenience), good, bright light, manageable price.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Links