speed strip question

speed strip question

This is a discussion on speed strip question within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, since I have my new J-frame, I figure I should get some speed strips to keep everything easily concealed for summer carry. Here is ...

speed strip question

So, since I have my new J-frame, I figure I should get some speed strips to keep everything easily concealed for summer carry. Here is my question though: All I can find are 6 shot speed strips, and obviously the j-frames are 5 shot. Do they make 5 shot strips, or are they all just 6 shots, and you would wind up with one round left over on the strip? Its a kind of dumb question, but my brain is fried from school today, and I am perplexed by the lack of 5 shot speed strips on the market. Any input would be appreciated.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    So, since I have my new J-frame, I figure I should get some speed strips to keep everything easily concealed for summer carry. Here is my question though: All I can find are 6 shot speed strips, and obviously the j-frames are 5 shot. Do they make 5 shot strips, or are they all just 6 shots, and you would wind up with one round left over on the strip? Its a kind of dumb question, but my brain is fried from school today, and I am perplexed by the lack of 5 shot speed strips on the market. Any input would be appreciated.
    Use the six shot strips. Leave the middle two holes empty. This allows more hand grip to be able to peel off two rounds at a time very fast. Filling the strips to capacity makes them slower to reload with. Speed is often more important than loading that last fifth round. Practice loading the top two rounds, peel back the strip, then load the bottom two. Try doing the entire reload with your off hand so you do not have to release your combat grip. Use your trigger finger on your combat grip hand to hold the cylinder open while your off hand does the reload. Getting back in the fight quickly is paramount.

Senior Moderator
    I use the 6 shot (I have never seen or heard of a 5 shot one) and just load it with 5 rounds.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Dillon has some nice speed strips, but they are 6 shots, just use 5 slots, should work fine, as the others have all said. They work fine for me.

IN fact its nice having an extra rd, in case you should drop one in the heat of the moment. I've done that a time or two reloading one of my cowboy guns on the clock !
    Last edited by sass20485; April 20th, 2007 at 10:21 PM.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    As you've probably figured out, they don't make 5 shot speed strips. Some of the other suggestions are good. Personally, I left out the slot next to the tab, so I have a larger area to grasp when pulling it out of my back pocket (I carry 2 speed stips in my strong side rear pants pocket).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I fill all six on mine, nobody's ever said an extra bullet was a bad thing to have.
    Jack

Mo
    I just use the Safariland tiny little 5-shot speedloaders. Easily 3x as fast for me, and they're small enough to carry in the pocket. I have the Bianchi speedstrips, and while they're better than nothing, they're still much slower than a speedloader. The Safariland speedloader releases automatically when you push the rounds into the chamber, so no twisting or pulling is involved. Very slick.

I carry the six round speed strip and follow Massad Ayoob's advice on the matter. Leave the last round off, even if you had a six round revolver. This gives you more grip when handling the strip in combat.
    Get in the habit of reloading as soon as you can, not when you have to. This might mean reloading after only three shots fired. You don't necessarily lose the two unfired rounds but even if you do then it is better to have a full gun than run out and be unable to reload because you are having to move, being shot etc.
    I reload 2 rounds, 2 rounds and then one. My thinking here is that if I get interrupted mid reload I am putting in the maximum amount possible on the front end.

I tend to fill 'em up when I carry them. Mostly these days I use a Jet Loader (Spring loaded speed loader) for carry and have a speed strip in the console as well.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post
    I just use the Safariland tiny little 5-shot speedloaders. Easily 3x as fast for me, and they're small enough to carry in the pocket. I have the Bianchi speedstrips, and while they're better than nothing, they're still much slower than a speedloader. The Safariland speedloader releases automatically when you push the rounds into the chamber, so no twisting or pulling is involved. Very slick.
    +1

I have nothing but Safariland speedloaders. Be aware that 38 caliber semi wadcutters and Safariland speedloaders do not play well together with a S&W J frame. The square shoulder on the bullet ends up cocked a bit and won't let the rounds in because the loader just touches on the rubber grip. I could shave off some part of the grip, but it's easier and better looking to switch to lead round nose for my practice reloads. My carry ammo (135 gr Speer Gold Dot) feeds like poop through a goose with the Safariland.

Thank God I found out this problem during training and not when it matters, if I ever decide to carry lead SWC HPs.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    So, since I have my new J-frame, I figure I should get some speed strips to keep everything easily concealed for summer carry.
    You don't.

First off, the sheep are completely unaware of what goes on around them.

Second, even if they notice a bulge on your pocket, what are they going to think about it? Answer: nothing.

People are used to seeing bulges on pockets. Cigs, lighters, keys, lucky charms, coins, candy, etc., etc., etc.

I carry a Safariland speedloader in my RH front pocket all the time and no one even gives it a second glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    +1

I have nothing but Safariland speedloaders. Be aware that 38 caliber semi wadcutters and Safariland speedloaders do not play well together with a S&W J frame. The square shoulder on the bullet ends up cocked a bit and won't let the rounds in because the loader just touches on the rubber grip. I could shave off some part of the grip, but it's easier and better looking to switch to lead round nose for my practice reloads. My carry ammo (135 gr Speer Gold Dot) feeds like poop through a goose with the Safariland.

Thank God I found out this problem during training and not when it matters, if I ever decide to carry lead SWC HPs.
    What model? COMP I, II, or III?
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I found that the Comp 1 and Comp 2 are about the same for me, as I dont hold them by the dial, but the outter ring. Comp 3 to me are strickly compitition speed loaders.

When I carry a revolver, I always have atleast one speed strip in my front right pant pocket fully loaded with six rounds. On this I disagree with Mas...as I dont hold the ends I hold the sides when I reload my revolvers, and the extra bullet comes in handy if you knock one out by accident.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

tuff strips I carry one all the time for my SP101 I only reload from it at the range to keep in practice

Senior Moderator
    Wow this is a thread from history, and that's were it is going back too
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Links