Fenix P1D CREE - best carry light?

This is a discussion on Fenix P1D CREE - best carry light? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought myself a Fenix P1D CE light. http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixp1d.htm It's absolutely amazing. Such light and features out of such a small package. I am ...

Thread: Fenix P1D CREE - best carry light?

I just bought myself a Fenix P1D CE light.

http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixp1d.htm

It's absolutely amazing. Such light and features out of such a small package. I am still stunned at what this tiny thing does. It doesn't seem believable.

A have a Surefire E2E with the L4 head which I carry when I can, but this little guy is so small it can go anywhere. Compared to the E2E it's about the same brightness, maybe a little brighter. The Fenix is more of a spotlight where the E2E is more of a flood. The Fenix light pattern is also slightly less "smooth", with a few rings you can see if you try.

It's got 5 modes: medium, high, low, strobe, and SOS. I can barely tell the difference between medium and high on mine--perhaps when the battery runs down more so it goes into regulation it will be more noticeable. On low, which is still very good, better than a mini-mag, it's supposed to give 21 hours of battery life but tests I've seen were more like 13-15 hours of usable light.

The only downside is that it's not much of a combat light. Having to twist the body to turn it on is not conducive to using it that way. Plus it takes two twists to get it to high. For that type of use, or for clearing your house, I'd still go with my E2E.

If you're looking for a tiny carry light that can serve both for utility purposes and defense (in a pinch), I'd highly recommend it.

Tom.

ever use the surefire E1E? that's what i have now and have been pretty happy with. it also has the push button which is nice... just wondering how this compares.

Quote Originally Posted by Exmasonite View Post
    ever use the surefire E1E? that's what i have now and have been pretty happy with. it also has the push button which is nice... just wondering how this compares.
    There is no comparison. They're pretty much designed for different things

E1e
    1. one light level - 15 lumens
    2. easy one-hand operation
    3. pocket clip
    4. 1.5hr runtime

P1D-CE
    • 5 outputs: 72 lumens (2.8hrs) -> 135 lumens (1hrs) -> 12 lumens (21hrs) -> Strobe -> SOS
    • Digitally Regulated for Constant Brightness
    • Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle

You'll notice the P1D-CE has a low setting almost the same as the E1e's only level of output -- and it runs for 19+hours longer at that level. Both are Type III hard adonized. If you need one hand operation or no-hand use, the E1e is easier, as you can clip it to the visor of your cap, if you're wearing one. The P1D-CE can stand on it's tail to illuminate an area like a candle, which the Surefire can't do. Incandescents begin dimming right away, the LED is regulated to provide constant output for a duration.

Fenix also makes a P2D and P3D, which have tailcap switches. The P3D looks especially nice - 160 lumens peak output from 2 CR123 alkalines. All are nice and small, with the P3D obviously being a little longer due to having another battery. I also like Fenix's L2D light (I think that you can interchange the bodies between this light and the P2D...) because of the ability to use AA batteries, but the P3D would be my choice for EDC with SD in mind because of the tailcap switch and the extra heft. I'd like to be able to use it as a fistpack or striker if need be. I don't know if the P1D is big enough for that, it seems very small. I would like to have one to stow on my motorcycle, though.

My biggest issue with the Fenix lights is the reverse clicky. The only way to get 'momentary on' is to click the light on the slightly hold in on the clicky and release when you need light. Not really the best IMHO for SD. That being said, I have a Fenix P1, L1T, and L2D CE. And I'll likely order the P2D. The fenix lights are awesome for general lighting purposes and the L2D CE is really the cream of the crop with them. The only thing the P2D has on the L2D CE is that it is shorter making it more pocketable. My every day carry is an HDS EDC U60 with an Upgraded Seoul SSC LED so it is actually brighter than my L2D CE. I generally carry my HDS and my Amilite Neo T5 together. Both have a Seoul SSC LED which is similar to the Cree LED that Fenix uses.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

CREE also makes replacement 135 Lumen bulbs for Surefire 6P. Surefire is going to start using CREE bulbs in some of their lights.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I just ordered a P3D-CE from Lighthound. I can't wait to get this thing and take some comparison pictures with my inexpensive Brinkmann. I sure as heck can't turn down stats like this, on the same $2.00 worth of batteries!

General Mode: 9 lumens (65hrs) -> 40 lumens (13hrs) -> 90 lumens (4.8hrs) -> SOS

Turbo Mode: 160 lumens (1.8hrs) -> Strobe

Plus, it has type III anodizing, comes with 2 CR123 batteries, and was $61.50 with free shipping. I have to wait until it's in my hands to be sure, but I think the Fenix P series lights are the best buy on the market right now.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Just got the Blackhawk Gladius Light. I like the Strobe feature.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

maybe a dumb question, but strobe is actually a srobe or is that just what they call the brightest setting?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Strobe is a strobe, probably between 2-4 flashes per second (pure guess, I don't have mine yet.) I like that they put the general use modes at one bezel position (low, a damn good medium, high, and SOS) and the tactical at the other. There's no point in having 160 lumens available if you have to click through 4 other modes to get there. With this setup, you don't.

i have the new P2D and like it.
    Deer huntin' is a hole in the swamp where i spend my wife's money....

At times, I carry my Surefire E2e, E1e, or U2 (with 18650 rechargeable).
    But EDC usually includes 2-3 Fenix lights. An L0PSE, P2DCE, plus sometimes an L1DCE. Surefires are excellent quality lights, and they still hold a spot in my arsenal of lights.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

Sponsored Links