Diagnosis please!!!

This is a discussion on Diagnosis please!!! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My brand new Barska 3-9x42 compact scope came in the mail this week so I took it to the range on Sat. to site it ...

Thread: Diagnosis please!!!

Diagnosis please!!!

My brand new Barska 3-9x42 compact scope came in the mail this week so I took it to the range on Sat. to site it in. On the 7th shot, it goes completely blurry. No matter what I do, I can't see anything through it. I ask the range master to look at it an he says it's broken.
    I go home and take the rifle out of the case and check the scope again and it WORKS! ***?
    I call Barska and leave a message and I call Opticsale.com and leave a message also.
    I decide to take it to the range this morning and try it again and before I go in I look through the scope and it's all blurry again!
    So, now it's definitely going back. I really like this scope and I would like to have it replaced but I'm kind of nervous.
    What if I get the same scope and it happens again after the warranty runs out?
    Do you think it's just a fluke?
    Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

First time I have heard of something like that. Maybe the seals were not installed properly and the nitrogen leaked out with the shock of the rifle discharge. Probably a fluke but if they are a reputable company, you might be able to get a discount out of it or something. I feel for you. I hate when a new toy breaks. Nice dog buy the way. I had one until I moved away and my parents kept him for me. They won't give him back. 12 years now. Good luck with the scope.

Administrator
    Is it fogging up due to temp/humid conditions?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    Seems this has to be a faulty seal and as joleary commented, the nitrogen or other inert gas has been lost. Thus it is responding to temp changes and dew point etc.

To have happened twice seems enough to me to want a replacement.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Is it fogging up due to temp/humid conditions?
    I'm in Phoenix; it's nice and dry. I've never heard of anything like this before. I'm looking at it now and it's clear...

Administrator
    Yeah but if the seals are bad, just taking it from your cool home to the warm air on the range will do it. It doesnt take much at all if the seals are bad. Add in the heat thrown off the gun when a round is discharged, you have a decent temp difference.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hmmm. That's probably the cause. I wonder if I did it by maybe tightening the rings too tight...I don't think I did.

Send It Back...

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    Hmmm. That's probably the cause. I wonder if I did it by maybe tightening the rings too tight...I don't think I did.
    Let them make it right...I'm sure they will stand behind something that new!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Oh, it's definitely going back! I just hope the next one is not a lemon because i really like the 10" on the AR. I can't seem to find many of them...

Administrator
    Thats a thought... you didnt crush the tube when you tightened down the rings did you?
    "Just blame Sixto"

No, it is just very snug. I'm pretty sure it's the scope and not me. The amount of torque I put on the rings was minimal. I already took the scope out of the rings and there are no marks and it didn't take much to unscrew the screws.

Administrator
    Thats good, they should replace it with no problems.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, I sent it back on Monday. They told me it will be 3 weeks before they can send me a new one.
    They also said that they have had only one other complaint about this scope since they've been selling it. The lady actually asked me if I had cataracts! Are you kidding me?!?

Administrator
    The lady actually asked me if I had cataracts! Are you kidding me?!?
    LOL! that sounds like some wise crack I'd make...
    "Just blame Sixto"

I lived in Tucson at one time and we used a swamp cooler that made it humid inside but it was less than 15% humidity outside. So you could have a leaky seal allowing the fogging of he lenses in the scope which is usually filled with inert gas to prevent this. Once the moisture comes in there is nothing you can do but take it back for repair.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Links