Under bed long gun locker recommendations

This is a discussion on Under bed long gun locker recommendations within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do y'all have any recommendations on under bed long gun lockers? We're moving in July to the NoVA DC metro area. When we find a ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ilikemynamealso
  • 1 Post By Chuck R.
  • 1 Post By Chuck R.

Thread: Under bed long gun locker recommendations

Do y'all have any recommendations on under bed long gun lockers?

We're moving in July to the NoVA DC metro area. When we find a home if there's not a good spot in the master bedroom to secure a regular vertical gun locker I may need to find a way to keep one or two long guns handy under the bed. Based on the couple of homes we're looking at it seems an under bed gun locker may be the best solution.

No, not looking for a full blown "safe", just a steel locker to keep any visiting kids out and have reasonably quick access; something that can fit under a standard queen bed, bolt to the floor, or possibly cable to the bed frame (it's a sturdy iron sleigh bed). We move too often to hassle with the weight of another safe, and I'm not looking at keeping any heirloom guns under the bed, just a disposable rifle and/or shotgun for taking care of business if needed. I have a few biometric pistol vaults so if a gun is needed pronto-fast I can easily get a bedside pistol out, but I prefer to use a long gun if checking out bumps in the night or if the alarm systems go off.

Do any of you have a locker like this? Any particular models we should avoid?

Does this seem out of your price range?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&tag=gsacom-20

It seems like it's more of a locker since it isn't fireproof and only 14 gauge steel. But with the thinner steel comes lighter weight. It's only 74 pounds.

I'm doing some research on under the bed options myself. We only have an ar15, but it'd be nice to have quick access under the bed, yet be secured.
    Cave Armor Learning all I can about home protection and sharing with others.

That's one of the options, but I've read some concerns about the electronic keypad's reliability. Seems pricey for what it is, although within budget.

Ah yes, that makes sense. I'll keep doing my research and if I come across something that may interest you, I'll let you know!
    graydude likes this.
    Cave Armor Learning all I can about home protection and sharing with others.

Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    I use a V-Line long gun vault:

Holds my carbine, couple spare mags, could also fit a pistol too. Easily slides under the bed, or could be mounted to a wall between studs. Uses a simplex push button lock, so no batteries. I've got 3 of the V-Lines that I've had for over 10 years and I've never had a problem with them.

http://www.amazon.com/V-Line-Quick-A.../dp/B000T2A6BW

Chuck
    graydude likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    I use a V-Line long gun vault:

Holds my carbine, couple spare mags, could also fit a pistol too. Easily slides under the bed, or could be mounted to a wall between studs. Uses a simplex push button lock, so no batteries. I've got 3 of the V-Lines that I've had for over 10 years and I've never had a problem with them.

http://www.amazon.com/V-Line-Quick-A.../dp/B000T2A6BW

Chuck
    Thanks, that's very close to what I'm looking for. A simplex lock is a great way to go. With the top opening vs. side opening I guess it should be slid out from under a bed rather than bolted, but a chain or cable could probably be run to slow down anyone trying to walk off with it.

Is that a 20 round mag?
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Thanks, that's very close to what I'm looking for. A simplex lock is a great way to go. With the top opening vs. side opening I guess it should be slid out from under a bed rather than bolted, but a chain or cable could probably be run to slow down anyone trying to walk off with it.

Is that a 20 round mag?
    Yup 20 rd PMAG, there's issues with fitting the 30rd and an optic depending on your optics height. I go with the 20, and if there's time, just drop it and seat a 30.

I simply have a piece of parachute cord as a "handle" and slide it out from under the bed, with it cable locked to the bed frame.

Chuck
    graydude likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Sponsored Links