Mixed feelings about the offerings in the NRAstore catalog

This is a discussion on Mixed feelings about the offerings in the NRAstore catalog within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently ordered some stuff from the NRAstore catalog (online). Today I received a paper catalog in the mail, and perused it. I was pleased ...

Thread: Mixed feelings about the offerings in the NRAstore catalog

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Mixed feelings about the offerings in the NRAstore catalog

I recently ordered some stuff from the NRAstore catalog (online).
    Today I received a paper catalog in the mail, and perused it.

I was pleased with the stuff I ordered. My order consisted of a few books (the "Guide to Personal Defense Outside the Home" is very good), a Zippo lighter with the NRA seal, two cool t-shirts, and a shot glass with the NRA seal.

I thought the shot glass (though I'm not much of a drinker at all) would have been much better than it is. The seal is not etched into the glass well at all -- seems like a chinese crap kind of thing.

In the catalog are plenty of cool items, of course. But there are a lot of not-so-good ones. The 5-11 gear is cool, but I would not get a 5-11 vest from NRA because I don't want the vest to broadcast "CCW!" via the NRA logo. (If I want to broadcast NRA, it will be on obvious clothing, not clothing designed to aid concealed carry.) And actually, I do plan to get a CCW vest (probably direct from 5-11).

The other thing that I found dismaying is that many of the items say "imported" in the listing. A lot of that is clothing. (To be fair, there is a lot that is listed as "Made in U.S.A." However, it has come to my attention that sometimes companies assemble foreign-made parts and can then say "Made in U.S.A." I don't know if these items fall into that category.)

It just strikes me that NRA should be selling items made exclusively in the U.S.A. if possible -- or as near as can be accomplished. I would pay a couple bucks more for a t-shirt I knew was made by Americans, giving Americans jobs.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    It just strikes me that NRA should be selling items made exclusively in the U.S.A. if possible -- or as near as can be accomplished. I would pay a couple bucks more for a t-shirt I knew was made by Americans, giving Americans jobs.
    Not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Not a bad idea.
    Great Idea!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

The NRA catalog is a side business and money maker for the NRA. The main reason for the NRA is to lobby and protect your 2nd amendment rights. I bought a multi tool (like a leatherman) at the store in the museum in Virginia. It was made in China but of very good quality and cheaper than a Leatherman. I have three Leatherman tools already so I gave this one to my 25 year old grandson. I really don't worry too much about the buy American problem until it becomes a problem We have practically no (4.5)unemployment and a screaming economy, so what's the problem?The jobs lost are mostly those we need to move on from. Sweat shop manufacturing is not such a good deal when you can make more money doing cleaner jobs. Look at the jobs from BMW, Toyoto and Honda that have opened up over here in large scale manufacturing. It works both ways. I get upset when foreign countries make rules in restrict of trade with our country. We still are the most productive country in the world per man hour of labor. If we keep it that way we will do all right. Cheap stuff keeps down inflation, which could be devastating.
    Last edited by Sam Douthit; April 21st, 2007 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

The problem is when you import more than you export, it's called a trade imbalance, we have one with China. Also we have a deficit, China has been buying our debt, when their stock market undergoes correction (as it did last month) ours plummets.
    We need to do more than clean jobs, this attitude is the reason why illegal aliens are tolerated so much, nobody wants to do the dirty work.
    Nobody wanted to do the dirty work in Ancient Rome either.

Links