Range bag?

This is a discussion on Range bag? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings all. Been lurking for awhile, now looking for some advice. I'm looking for suggestions on a decent range bag. Most of my shooting will ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Range bag?

Range bag?

Greetings all. Been lurking for awhile, now looking for some advice.

I'm looking for suggestions on a decent range bag. Most of my shooting will be handgun (USP9, G22 currently... adding a USP45/USPc357/P3AT soon), with some small quantity of shotgun (Rem870 Police Mag) and rifle (AR15) shooting. I'm seriously considering the 5.11 Tactical range bag but am open to other suggestions.

I would prefer heavy nylon, something that will wear a long time, fairly spacious, etc. The pull-out ammo carrier and brass bag of the 5.11 are bonuses.

What say you?

2. Remove Ads

I have an Uncle Mike's deluxe range bag that shows no signs of wear. It has three internal pockets in the main storage suitable for ammo and mags. The top zipped flap rolls back and velcros out of the way. The side pocket on one side contains the included gun rug, on the other side it is two pockets in one and I keep my range log, cloths, targets etc in those two.
    I regularly carry three handguns to the range in it, it's tough and about half the cost of the 5.11.

Make sure you look at the deluxe, they do a regular bag but it is far from similar.

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2377.php

It is the same as the Glock bag but no logo and less money.

VIP Member
    I have an iShot deluxe range bag.....it's super tough....I've overstuffed it countless times....no popped stitches or zippers.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    I have an iShot deluxe range bag.....it's super tough....I've overstuffed it countless times....no popped stitches or zippers.
    +1 on the iShot deluxe bag.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Here is a link to one from Midway that looks identical to the 5.11 bag. I have thought about ordering it but haven't yet. You can read the reviews. Just FYI

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=259680

PS: out of stock right now but sale price is only $30!

Vaya con Dios,

Larrupin
    Last edited by larrupin; April 23rd, 2007 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Left out link, duh!

Good suggestions all. I'm afraid both the Uncle Mike's and the iShot might be a bit small (I'm a bit of a packrat, I tend to carry lots of junk with me... when it comes to bags, backpacks, computer packs, etc... I always buy the biggest and still fill them up).

However, the Midway bag sure does look identical to the 5.11 Tactical. I may have to inquire as to their backorder delay tomorrow...

I would almost guarntee that the "quality" of the two bag's are not even close to being the same. The 5.11 bag is more expensive but it's going to last.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

me
    I am waiting for the free bag from S&W to come in the mail. I can not wait to just have a range bag to store my stuff in.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    I would almost guarntee that the "quality" of the two bag's are not even close to being the same. The 5.11 bag is more expensive but it's going to last.
    Ordinarily, I'd agree. But, in general, a "clone" like that would be similar but slightly different. Those two bags look *identical*. Like they both buy them from the same place and slap a different nametag on them.

Not sure if 5.11 ever rebrands other people's gear?

VIP Member
    I think iShot has newer, bigger bag.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I took a different approach with the issue of range bags. I have a different bag (Beretta Trident small range bag) for each pistol. Each pistol is in it's own pistol rug, mags for that pistol are pre-loaded and in the appropriate bag, shooting glasses in one bag, hearing protection in the other, and room left for anything else I might need. I find this much better than digging around in a big range bag for the right mag, ammo,ect. for the pistol I want to practice with at that time. When I get through with one pistol, I simply place all the gear back in the bag, zip it up, pick up the next bag, load and fire. I know this is a more expensive approach, but how much are you paying for your range time and are you spending a lot of that time digging and searching for what you need.
    These bags are heavy duty bags with a shoulder strap and hand carry straps, along with mutiple pockets.
    This might not be the ideal situation for you, but it sure works well for me.

I've got a Bulldog range bag that works really well for my needs, plenty of pockets and space for everything I carry to the range.
    Jack

Maxpedition MPB is really nice, too

VIP Member
    I guess I'm the odd duck. I just have a small bag that carried ammo, some simple cleaning stuff, a multi-tool, eyes and ears and some mags.

The guns go to the range in their case or a holster. No need to put them in the bad as well. Of course, range time is free for me, so I don't have to worry about hurrying. I just take my time and enjoy the trip.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I have one of the free S&W Range Bags that they were giving away with the purchase of a new firearm.

It works well for me and replaces a twenty year old small "duffel" type gym bag that had only one large compartment.

Biker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links