5.11 Tactical pants

This is a discussion on 5.11 Tactical pants within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wear the 5.11 shorts as my uniform pants and I love'em. I haven't tried the long pant version yet, but plan on gettin a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.11 Tactical pants

I wear the 5.11 shorts as my uniform pants and I love'em. I haven't tried the long pant version yet, but plan on gettin a few this winter, or the Woolrich. I bought a couple pair of the TDU's and had the same problem, too tight in the upper leg area, so I took them back. Shoot, I give my 5.11's a big thumbs up...comfy and very durable
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

2. Remove Ads

I know it is a little late to mention this now but 511tactical.com had a 20% off sale last Friday -- Friday being 5/11 and all.

I picked up a pair of black nylon 5.11 pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    However...there is one slight problem...

From about lower thigh to upper knee area is too tight on my legs! I mean - these things almost cut off my circulation!
    I looked at the 5.11's not too long ago and found the same problem, and I wasn't looking at the TDU's.

The regular style 5.11's, one size up from my normal size would have needed tailoring to fit the waist, and still I couldn't bend over to tie my shoes. I know the fabric is durable, but I seriously thought i was going to rip a seam if I tried to crouch down that far.

I couldn't get into my normal size at all. I could get my knees about where the middle of my thigh should have been, and at that point I looked like I was trying out for an adult movie role.

I have been considering the Woolrich stuff especially since I can get it wholesale, but after experiencing the 5.11 stuff, makes me wonder a little bit.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Well, I sent the 5.11 TDU's back last Friday and exchanged them for one pair of the "Original" Tactical pants. If these don't fit me right either, I'm sending them back, getting a refund, and buying a couple of pair of my ol' tried and true Propper brand BDU pants like I should have done in the FIRST place! But nnnooooo...I had to be different and try something else!

I KNOW they will fit right!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    All my " tac " pants say wrangler or levi on them . and are called blue jeans by most . I guess i am just too high drag/low speed anymore .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    All my " tac " pants say wrangler or levi on them . and are called blue jeans by most . I guess i am just too high drag/low speed anymore .
    Well, if my boss would let me, I would come to work everyday in a pair of shorts and a T shirt. But that badge looks kinda funny on a green or blue or tan colored T shirt. It sucks having to wear a uniform everyday.

But at least I know what I'm wearing to work today and tomorrow, and the next day, etc, etc...

LOL glock i hear ya , i spent my time in uniform and hated it every day i put it on , the best thing i could say is that they gave me some pittance of a uniform allowance , and would after a fashon replace non servicable clothing .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    LOL glock i hear ya , i spent my time in uniform and hated it every day i put it on , the best thing i could say is that they gave me some pittance of a uniform allowance , and would after a fashon replace non servicable clothing .
    Getting them to replace uniforms at my agency is like pulling teeth! And the pants they WANTED to buy me (polyester dress slacks ) was unacceptable, IMO. So...they told me, "You wear what we issue or provide your own at YOUR cost!"

So...there ya go!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Heard that for all of my 15 patrol years. Didnt matter....I wouldnt wear polyester on patrol, was too afraid of them melting to my legs (saw that once and it was enough). Did get our agency to allow shorts on patrol, and during them summer Okie heat you know I wore them, looked guffy as heck but was comfortable. Was all fun and games till I had a serious foot chase and tore up them knees on concrete. Nuffin like road rash to make you respect the knee pads 5.11 puts into their pants. (Ok some folks on the job need them for other reasons too).

Just keep your recipts....their tax deductable (as is most of our guns, ammo, knives ahhhh heck you know the drill).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

again its the wayy back machine , but untill i had input on uniform selection we wore the old polyester and for yall old enough to remember they had the " sap pocket " hidden by the stripe on the leg . I know its the bad old days of LE nowadays . but like elvis , i suspect nothing is ever dead when it comes to the budget vultures .

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Dang Redneck....now I know your old. My first issued pair of pants had a sap pocket but the agency outlawed the carry of saps or sap gloves before I was hired. When pushed, the Dep Chief informed me it was for my flashlight, LOL. Dangit I missed out on them fun things, but now look at the toys we have....tazers, pepper spray and expandable battons. Get this, its bad juju to hit someone with a aluminum flashlight, but ok to hit them with a steel batton.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    Dang Redneck....now I know your old. My first issued pair of pants had a sap pocket but the agency outlawed the carry of saps or sap gloves before I was hired. When pushed, the Dep Chief informed me it was for my flashlight, LOL. Dangit I missed out on them fun things, but now look at the toys we have....tazers, pepper spray and expandable battons. Get this, its bad juju to hit someone with a aluminum flashlight, but ok to hit them with a steel batton.
    I'll confess my age here...I can remember carrying a slapper and a second growth hickory baton! I stopped carrying a baton of ANY kind when a DISTRICT JUDGE saw me outside the courthouse with my baton in my ring. He pulled me aside and told me I had better get rid of that damned "club" because one of these days, I'll hit somebody with it and hurt them. And because of my size (6'3" 350lbs +/-) he would sue me and WIN! Well since that day, I no longer carry a baton, or slapper, or pepper spray or even a taser. I figure if it comes down to it - it's fisticuffs, baby!

Well...I got my pair of 5.11 "Original" tactical pants in the mail today. I guess I'm just made funny, because these were the exact OPPOSITE of the 5.11 TDU pants! These were plenty roomy from the knee down, but uncomfortable from the knee up! So, I guess I'll send these back too, take the money and go to my local BDU store and buy 2 pair of good ol' BDU pants there like I should have to beging with!

With the costs of shipping and what-not, I prolly spent enough to buy a pair of the BDU's!

VIP Member
    You're just being difficult GED! Trying to hurt 5.11's feelings isn't nice!

You need to push to make them let you wear your shorts on duty like fed_wif_a_sig did. I've seen you say that they're all you wear off duty too many times.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    You're just being difficult GED! Trying to hurt 5.11's feelings isn't nice!

You need to push to make them let you wear your shorts on duty like fed_wif_a_sig did. I've seen you say that they're all you wear off duty too many times.
    Well, I would love to, but the first time you skin your knees up - you never forget! So I gotta wear pants at work. No matter how hot it gets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links