5.11 Tactical pants

This is a discussion on 5.11 Tactical pants within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the market for some new duty trousers and I'm thinking of giving the 5.11 Tactical series a try. I know they are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.11 Tactical pants

5.11 Tactical pants

I am in the market for some new duty trousers and I'm thinking of giving the 5.11 Tactical series a try. I know they are quality pants from all the reviews I have heard. My question is...which is a better trouser? The "Original Tactical" pants? Or the new "TDU" tactical pants. I wear plain ol' ordinary BDU's now, so I'm thinking I'll go with the "TDU's" but here's my question...

Is there any advantage with the "Original tactical" pants over the "TDU" pants that warrants the $5 per pair price difference? I'll be buying prolly 3 pair and I know $15 doesn't sound like much, but when you're a poor ol' beat cop like me - every penny helps!

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I am in the market for some new duty trousers and I'm thinking of giving the 5.11 Tactical series a try. I know they are quality pants from all the reviews I have heard. My question is...which is a better trouser? The "Original Tactical" pants? Or the new "TDU" tactical pants. I wear plain ol' ordinary BDU's now, so I'm thinking I'll go with the "TDU's" but here's my question...

Is there any advantage with the "Original tactical" pants over the "TDU" pants that warrants the $5 per pair price difference? I'll be buying prolly 3 pair and I know $15 doesn't sound like much, but when you're a poor ol' beat cop like me - every penny helps!

Thanks in advance!

I have been wearing 511's for more than 5 years. In the early days they were of very high quality, but do not think that any more.

Woolrich has about the best quality "tactical" pant available now IMHO.

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com

I have both Woolrich and 5.11 and have to agree that Woolrich is better quality. I like the 5.11's, but I like the Woolrich better.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Anybody got a link?

Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Free knee pads and free shipping on orders over $150 www.rogueelite.net

I have a few pair of the Woolrich pants and their great, hope to order some more from Jamie in the near future.

Well, I ordered 2 pair of the 5.11 "TDU" tactical pants and they arrived today. To say these things are awesome is an understatement! Good quality craftsmanship, no doubt!

However...there is one slight problem...

From about lower thigh to upper knee area is too tight on my legs! I mean - these things almost cut off my circulation! So the question I ask is this:

Do the "Original" 5.11 Tactical pants fit this way as well? Or are they a little more roomy in the lower leg area. Also, the waist sat a little lower on my belly than the BDUs that I usually wear. Any help in this matter would be appreciated! Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I havent had that problem with my 5.11s. I dont wear them off duty, but I've worn them for extended periods, in fact back in the swat days, we wore green 5.11s instead of bdu pants because their simply more comfortable. Dont know what to say about your specific problem, but I will say that they have AWSOME customer service. Give them an email (its on their website) and they stand by their products 100%. Infact I was given two pair the wrong size. The company replaced them (even though I had'nt ordered the pants from them and they did nothing wrong). In fact they accidentally sent me four pair instead of two, when I called to pay for them they told me to keep them at their pleasure.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Lead Moderator
    Never had a fit issue with the old 5.11 pants. Have not tried the new TDU pants. I love the fit and comfort of my old style 5.11 pants, BTW.
    I see the new pants have the knife/phone pocket on the left. dang it, I liked it on the right side.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Ya go figgure. I received two with them on the right and two with them on the left. Now depending on what pants I pull outta the go back, I get really confused reaching for the phone.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I have about a 50/50 mix myself left vs. right... I carry my knife in that pocket (blackberry doesn't fit). A bit confusing, oh well.

I just pick mine up at a local 5.11 full-line retailer and check whether they're right-handed or left-handed. None of the online sources seem to distinguish between them. The local guys' prices are just as good as online, and I like supporting local small businesses.

The women's don't come in lengths and are way too short. I get the men's 28" waist/34" inseam, and have plenty of room.

VIP Member
    I wear 5.11 original pants every day. Mine are loose around the Knee but tight in the thigh, everybody is different.
    I too like the little pocket, I keep my Surefire G2 in it, and some are on the left and some on the right.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Sponsor
    In the TDU pants, I have to up size because the thighs are to tight. Not a real issue as my waste is right on the dividing line anyway.
    Can't beat the quality and comfort for everday work wear and the BBS is very useful.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links