What Tactical Light do you carry? - Page 2

What Tactical Light do you carry?

This is a discussion on What Tactical Light do you carry? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I refer to any flashlight using a high-output bulb or LED (minimum 40+ lumens) that runs off of CR123A or equivalent rechargeable batteries as a ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Tactical Light do you carry?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I refer to any flashlight using a high-output bulb or LED (minimum 40+ lumens) that runs off of CR123A or equivalent rechargeable batteries as a tactical light. Most of these lights have a click on, click off or twist on switch fitted into the tailcap. For comparison, a Mini Maglite (2 AA batteries) has no switch, but you must twist the bezel to turn it on. This takes time and fine motor control that may not be afforded in a given situation - and you get much worse light output for your trouble.

You may want to head over to http://www.flashlightreviews.com/ . Read through the reviews of the 3 watt Luxeon or Cree lights, or search for reviews of lights from Mag Instruments and Surefire for good examples of general use lights vs. tactical lights.

Thumbs up

I carry a "Snipper" flash light. It is 110 lumens in my pocket. On my AR 15 I have a M 90 rattle snake flash light. It is rated at 300 lumens. Both flashlights are made by Wolf eyes. Very high quality at a very good price!
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    Can someone define for me what a "Tactical Light" is compared to a regular "Non-Tactical Light?"
    A tactical light can also be mounted on a fire arm. It has a shock absorption for the recoil on guns. Also they are very bright for there size. Some also have a remote switch options so when mounted on a riffle the switch can be located near the trigger. Go to the Sure Fire web site and get educated. Sure Fire makes the best tactical flash lights in the world.
    There flash lights are used by the military of many nations. The only draw back is they are big bucks. (You get what you pay for). A non tactical light are made by Mag light and there is a lot of clones. These are good lights for camping changing a tire at night ETC. You can find many kinds and styles at Sears Kmart Wall mart etc.
    Last edited by phoneguy; April 29th, 2007 at 04:26 AM.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

i carry a surefire A2 everywhere i go.
    Deer huntin' is a hole in the swamp where i spend my wife's money....

Lead Moderator
    I carry an original Sure Fire 6P that does not have the tail cap switch. That's how old it is. It has a solid bottom and you rotate the bezel for on and off and to change the batteries (it is waterproof however and not water resistant). 65 lumen lamp and I have a 120 lumen spare lamp I keep in the car in a Sure Fire spares carrier that hold a spare lamp and 6 batteries.

I have recent bought from ebay an LED flashlight that has a single new generation K-Luxeon LED that boasts 120 lumens. It has a square focused beam and is INCREDIBLY bright when looking into it. It will definitely temporarily blind someone when looking directly at it.

However, it does not have quite the distance or throw to it as my Sure Fire does. I am not sure but I think it has more to do with the LED lamp as opposed to the Xenon lamp of the Sure Fire. I do believe it is 100 plus lumens to be sure and does light up dark corners and hiding places very well. It has an anodized aluminum body with a very deep square checkered knurled barrel. Also has a push button tail cap, but no lock-out feature. The brand is "Palm Blaze" and it came with 2 non-rechargable lithium cr123 batteries as well as 2 rechargable and a charger.

For $40 I couldn't resist trying it out and so far I am very impressed. I carry it at work on the ambulance and use it often. I am either carrying it or the Sure Fire 6P as my usually CCW equipment.

I also have the Insight Technologies M3 tactical flashlight issued by the Sheriff's Dept for my Glock 23. Since I have recently ordered the Aker Nightguard Concealment Holster for the gun with light attached, I will be using my M3 attached as part of my CCW rig with my new Beltman Gunbelt if everything tests out ok. Holster is on back order until June so am patiently waiting.

Aker Nightguard for M3 light (Concealment Holster)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Bark'n; April 29th, 2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: added flashlight photo
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I got one of these Cabelas $20.00 lights. It's a bright (65 lumens) son of a gun.

Cabelas Light

SureFire E2D, bright enough for me, and with the crenelations, it is a defensive weapon unto itself.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Fenix L2P with a CR123 body.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

Surefire 6P or Surefire G2.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Senior Moderator
    SruFire E2e...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I'm another Surefire e2e guy. My wife carries an e1e in her purse.

YMMV one hell of a lot.

Bill

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    SureFire 6p
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I carry the HDS EDC U60 (now upgraded with a Seoul SSC LED for 120+ lumens) and the Amilite Neo T5. :)

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by avb1123 View Post
    I have decided that I need to invest in a good Tactical Light for Concealed Carry. When considering, quality, size, brightness and ease of carry, what would you recommend? Thanks!

Can someone define for me what a "Tactical Light" is compared to a regular "Non-Tactical Light?"

Just about anything can have a 'tactical' purpose, given the right set of circumstances. However, regarding a light being called 'tactical' in general, there are some factors to consider:

- It should be capable of reasonably altering the lighting conditions in the average 2 car garage (just an example, we could quibble about the size of the space).

- It should be capable of overwhelming the photo chemicals in the human eyes at conversation distance enough to take away a person's vision momentarily.

- It should be ergonomical enough to manipulate from several different hand positions without extensive training and/or practice.

As far as the other points asked for:

QUALITY: This is in the eye of the beholder. Bottom line is that it has to work every time to level of performance you expect it to. If it doesn't, it could be the most expensive or cheapest tool on the market, but you'll never bet your life on it.

SIZE: I do have a definite opinion here. For me, if I can't get all of my fingers on it at the same time without some sort of contrived grip, it's too small and should be relegated to the ranks of a back up light. Think SF 6P/G2 length minimum. Circumference wise, that's up to the length of your fingers and palm.

BRIGHTNESS: Much of this depends on where you most often intend to use it. Indoors or outside? For indoors there is such a thing as too much light. In that, I mean if our primary intent is to see, too much light puts our own eyes into the position of having to momentarily adjust to an overwhelming level of light. I've been told that anywhere from 60 to 120 lumens indoors is ideal and I tend to agree. With the advent of microprocessors being installed in some high end LED flashlights, you can have several different intensities in the same light! This certainly makes the tool more utilitarian.

Outside, as some have already mentioned, there is the issue of 'throw' (how far downrange the beam will naturally shine). Incandecents have a slight advantage over LED's in this area at the time of my posting. However, I think the different so slight that a powerful LED shouldn't be excluded from consideration.

EASE OF CARRY: This is completely personal. I'm a sucker for a pocket clip. Unfortunately, most lights come with only one choice in how to carry it (pocket clip and maybe a lanyard ring), so you don't have alot of options. But just like with a gun, you have to get used to a favorite mode of carry regardless of how perfect it is. The point is to carry it every day, no matter what.

Good luck ,

G

VIP Member
    I carry the E2e with me all the time thanks to reading too much of what Glock 'em Down has said on the subject. It is a great light, easy to carry, and plenty bright. That said, I wouldn't mind getting a light that was shorter- so I guess I'm still in the market.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links