Fenix P3D-CE quickie review and comparison

This is a discussion on Fenix P3D-CE quickie review and comparison within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I mentioned in the other thread that I'd take some pics for you to check out... well, here they are. I apologize in ...

Thread: Fenix P3D-CE quickie review and comparison

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

Lightbulb Fenix P3D-CE quickie review and comparison

Hey guys,

I mentioned in the other thread that I'd take some pics for you to check out... well, here they are. I apologize in advance for the lack of clarity on the lower lumen shots, because with the low shutter speed, I had difficulty keeping the camera steady - even with it resting on the roof of a car.

All shots are of a well in my back yard, at 10 yards, at dusk.

Note: All shots are taken with a brand new set of batteries, and over the span of about 2 minutes, in an attempt to keep the ambient light as consistent as possible for all shots.

First, the Fenix P3D-CE in its 9 lumen mode. Useable time at this light level is said to be 65 hours.

Second, the 40 lumen mode. Useable time at this light level is advertised as 13 hours.

Third, we have the maximum level in the standard mode, 90 lumens. Fenix advertises 4.8 hours of battery life in this mode.

This is the 160 lumen "turbo" mode, good for 1.8 hours.

And finally, for comparison, this is the approximate equivalent of a Surefire G2 - my Brinkmann Maxfire, 65 lumens for about an hour.

Again, I apologize for the camera movement, but there is sufficient detail in the pictures to tell what's going on. Look carefully at the light levels on the grass and tree. With the Fenix, there is much better spill (side) coverage, even at the lower settings. If you look at the Maxfire shot, you will see less illumination of the surroundings, and more of a central hotspot on the center of the well.

The light itself is much smaller than the Maxfire, as well, considering both of them use 2x CR-123A batteries.

It has a smooth, tough type III anodized finish, and feels great in the hand. It has just enough heft to feel substantial, but is light enough and slim enough to forget that it's there!

Well, there's my $0.02 on this light - I'm very pleased with it, and it is my newest addition to EDC.

Here is where I purchased it from:
    Lighthound - All Fenix flashlights get free shipping
    And this is where I get my batteries:
    Amondotech - $1.00 a piece for quality CR-123A batteries
    Last edited by Chooie; April 30th, 2007 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added battery note

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Excellent Joe...thanks for the review.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

How do the controls work? I think I want turbo mode as my default OH CRAP grab a light mode but the options make that light nice.

Also, the Brinkman... how does it compare to the G2? I think I need to pick a couple of the Brinkmans up next time I'm at Target.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

I've only handled a G2 in the store. Size and weight are similar, as is output and runtime with P60 bulb. The Surefire has a better looking beam and seems to have a slightly higher quality polymer, but both are perfectly useable. As far as the Fenix goes, there are two places you control the light. First, you twist the bezel - either fully counter-clockwise (if light is pointing away from you - you are tightening the bezel), or about 30 to 90 degrees out from there. Those two positions select either the "tactical" (completely tightened, bottomed out) or "general use" (backed off a little) sets of modes. When it's fully tightened (tactical), the default mode when you hit the clicky is the OMG-160-lumens, ow-that-hurts-get-it-out-of-my-damn-eyes mode. Gently tap (not click) the button again, and it goes to a low frequency (maybe 5-10hz) strobe that seems to be just as bright, and far more disorienting. I plan on leaving the light in the holster this way. For general use, loosen the bezel a tad. When you turn it on here, you get the low 9 lumen mode, good for moving about the house without trashing your night vision or waking up the wife. Tap it, you get 40, and again for 90. Once more gets you SOS flashing. From any mode, fully click the switch, and the light goes out. If you wait less than two seconds before clicking again, when it comes on, it goes to the next mode in the cycle (i.e. low to medium). If you wait more than two seconds, it will start back up at whatever default it is for the bezel position (9 lumen or 160 lumen).

Hope this helps, sorry for the wall of text!

For those looking for the P2D/P3D, we are on the East coast, and have these in-stock. Standard Shipping is free.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

How do you feel this matches up against something like the surefire e2d? I'm wanting to get a flashlight, and the price point on this is certainly appealing if the quality is on par with a Surefire. I'm not willing to pay double the price for brand name alone.

It's shorter than the executive defender, but about the same diameter. Definitely brighter on turbo mode, with longer battery life. You can't go wrong with either one, really - both are hard anodized aluminum, so are very scratch resistant. I would not want to use the Fenix as an impact tool, though - leave that to the pointy end of the surefire!

Links