Gun Cabinets

This is a discussion on Gun Cabinets within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I searched the forums for a bit and couldn't find a good thread on what people use to store their firearms. I am in College, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Cabinets

Gun Cabinets

I searched the forums for a bit and couldn't find a good thread on what people use to store their firearms. I am in College, need a good way to actually lock up my guns. I have a couple handguns and a couple long guns, and I really want to put them somewhere. I live on a second floor of a old apartment complex. I was thinking about getting a safe for 500ish but then started to think of whats actually holding this old place together (old floor joists?!?) besides me trying to get it up the tight staircase, then decided maybe something lighter for now and once I actually get out of college get something more permanent. My dad just has a wooded gun cabinet with a couple of key locks that he made when he was in school (a long time ago :) ) But it served the purpose, people could see them but not touch them, especially with me running around as a wee tike.

I don't want anything that fancy, I don't have a lot of guests, but I just want to get them locked up. I was looking at just the metal locker type things with the locks on them.

Anyone have one or any other suggestions for me? I don't want to blow all my money that I could be using to buy some more toys with.

Thanks in advance.
    Pappy

Oh by the way the user name Pappy is the WWII fighter ace Pappy Boyington. I love WWII so thats why its my user name, not because I'm old.

2. Remove Ads

when I was on a budget I bought a walmart safe for 200 bucks and lag bolted it to the wall.

If I'm reading you right the main consideration is weight first and then money, well anything lightweight for secure storage will be a compromise. I'm sure you know that.
    So, working with what we have I suggest you take a good look around the apartment and use as much ingenuity as you can.
    Where wouldn't they look?
    Which closet or furniture can you modify?
    I saw a really neat coffee table once that was modified to store long guns under the table top, not something a thief might investigate.
    Also fake walls in closets behind clothes can be made out of cheap plywood and painted to look old.
    If you aren't too good at making things or if your landlord wouldn't approve then think even further outside the box.
    Long guns on top of the kitchen cabinets chained and locked down.
    Buy a used pickup truck box, fasten it to the floor and lock them in that.

You'll probably get more ideas than me, if you can't install a heavy safe there are plenty of other ways to avoid theft.

I guess its not weight so much, but I don't know about dragging a 500 pound safe up the stairs, and paying for 200 bucks worth of shipping to get it dropped off curbside.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    I guess its not weight so much, but I don't know about dragging a 500 pound safe up the stairs, and paying for 200 bucks worth of shipping to get it dropped off curbside.
    Don't forget dragging it down the stairs next time you move.

Sponsor
    Steel locker type locked and lagged to the wall or floor out of sight. Cheap and efectively stops any but the most ardent thief.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

The lightweight steel cabinets are better than nothing. I understand what you mean about the weight. I live in an older home with a full, unfinished basement. When I bought my Browning safe, I used railroad timbers to shore up the floor joists beneath the safe. Probably not necessary as a safe doesn't weigh much more than a large refrigerator, but made me feel better about it. My safe weighs right at 1000 pounds and I would NOT want to try and get it up a flight of stairs.

If you get a steel cabinet, try to mount it to the wall studs inside of a closet. Try to mount it so that it would be difficult to get a crowbar behind it to pry it from the wall. If it's a small size cabinet and mounted where it would be difficult to pry lose, a thief may think it's not large enough to hold enough to be worth the effort. Most crooks aren't real energetic.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I recently found a 10 gun stack on metal locker at Dicks Sporting Goods for $99. Can be easily bolted into a corner.

Not ideal, but fine to stop the quick grab.

some good gun ranges will store/keep guns fora small price. get a small handgun case, lockable, and bolt it under the bed or some discreet place to have one accessible.

Thanks for all the tips, I'm still leaning on the metal cabinets right now, but will have to do some more research.

VIP Member
    Stack-On RTA 8-Gun Cabinet
    $99
    Not a safe, but lightweight and will secure your guns from the crime of opportunity.... unless you leave tools next to it.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I'm of the school that a well hidden RSC or gun cabinet is probably more effective than a bigger, more expensive RSC sitting in the middle of the living room or garage. Find a good space for it and hide it well. If you can make it take longer than 30 minutes to find it and get inside or take the whole thing, you're probably going to eliminate most burglars' window of opportunity. That's a lot cheaper than spending thousands on an RSC that anybody can break into in a few minutes with power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by whitestone View Post
    I'm of the school that a well hidden RSC or gun cabinet is probably more effective than a bigger, more expensive RSC sitting in the middle of the living room or garage. Find a good space for it and hide it well. If you can make it take longer than 30 minutes to find it and get inside or take the whole thing, you're probably going to eliminate most burglars' window of opportunity. That's a lot cheaper than spending thousands on an RSC that anybody can break into in a few minutes with power tools.

That is pretty good advice!!!! I too am trying to justify the cost of a huge safe. maybe a $250 stack on that is well hidden would do the trick......

Senior Moderator
    I have a 16 gun Stack-on myself. While it is not a safe I feel that it will deter most thiefs who want a quick grab. Its bolted to the wall so they can't carry the whole thing out.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The Stack-On metal cabinet type lag bolted the studs in the wall should do the trick in a college setting. Basically, all your doing is keeping honest people honest. Be sure to keep some silica gel packs in there if you're in a humid area.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links