Lasers...thoughts and opinions??

This is a discussion on Lasers...thoughts and opinions?? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry if this is a repeat, I searched and didn't really see anything. What do you guys think of lasers on your daily carry? I'll ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lasers...thoughts and opinions??

Question Lasers...thoughts and opinions??

Sorry if this is a repeat, I searched and didn't really see anything. What do you guys think of lasers on your daily carry? I'll be carrying a S&W 637 and thought about gettin a set of Crimson Trace grips for it. Any pros and cons? Is there another brand out there that are just as good?
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    We have actually had a good many theads on this - but maybe not so easy to find them. Try search on ''laser grips'' and "crimson trace'' etc - they should turn up something.

Opinion varies from big plus to big minus LOL. I am a fan of CT's and have three on semi's and three on revo's. I always stress - they are NOT primary sighting tools - we must always present the gun as per std sights.

However - for me ... if light remotely diminished then with no effort I see the spot - no time wasted looking. Therefore they are to me an ''amplifying'' factor ------ and certainly if I was behind cover and having to shoot awkwardly I know the advantage could be considerable.

They are also a great adjunct for dry fire practice. With empty gun, stand facing a suitable ''target'' area. Close eyes, draw and point - open eyes and see where spot is. I honestly have found this manouver invaluable, as well as use of them at the range, along with ''normal'' sighting.

So - some say - batteries can go down - sure they can but if prime sighting still carried out - no biggie. They are for me an invaluable extra.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I'm a yes and no guy on lasers. I have tried them on on three weapons and kept them on one.

With my duty handgun, I was actually slower in my times when I had a laser (CTC Laser Grips) on. Spent time looking for the dot.

On my J-frame snubbie, I wont own one without CTC Laser Grips on them.

My personal opinion is that on a snubbie its get it out, get it up and get it off. Your already behind the curve when I reach for my snubbie as its a back up gun and I need it fast upclose and the sights suck. So the laser fits into that gun very well.

I use to say no flat out, but hey some folks use the frequently and just change your batteries frequently (their not expensive).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Assistant Administrator
    I was actually slower in my times when I had a laser (CTC Laser Grips) on. Spent time looking for the dot.
    That is why Steve I try to encourage folks to still shoot ''normally'' so that time is not lost seeking the dot ... but, if light is not excessive then I've found that as first shot goes, the dot can basically just appear and so be available for subsequent shots.

Initially I was always tempted to try and find the dot - and for sure it can slow things down.
    Chris - P95

Ron
    [QUOTE=fed_wif_a_sig;371083].

On my J-frame snubbie, I wont own one without CTC Laser Grips on them.

QUOTE]

I agree. Have them on my S&W 642, and think that they are great. I have the CT Laser Grips Model 405, which are great for concealing in pocket carry, and takes up a bit of the recoil.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I have CT grips on my J Frame as well. They are a definite benifit.

I have avoided putting them on my full size guns for the very reason fed_wif_a_sig stated.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

I think everyone could agree that one is not to learn based upon laser sights but on iron sights. Given a shooter has a firm foundation, lasers are enhancement tools.

Let me see if I can find my previous posts about lasers...

OK here is a link to one of the laser threads.... http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=16967

And here is my opinion on my laser (from that thread)

I love my lasermax...it is not a crutch but another tool in my bag. It carries the international sign of "I mean business." I have read many incidents where using the laser gets people to stop what they are doing when pointing a pistol at them doesn't. (Now for those who say they don't point their pistol at someone with out shooting them...bring on the flamming.) Shooting someone is my last resort...if the situation allows, verbal commands and use of my laser will be present, if there is no time and the situation unfolds too quickly...I shoot the BG.
    Last edited by Go Glock; May 18th, 2007 at 02:52 PM.

Administrator
    Grumble.

You need to ask yourself why you need a laser before which one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    [QUOTE=Go Glock;371451]lasers are enhancement tools

...it is not a crutch but another tool in my bag. QUOTE]

My take exactly
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Like most anything, there are going to be pros and cons to consider.

I don't have any lasers on any of my guns, but I can see some advantages to them.

If I'm down, injured, whatever, in a way that prevents me from accurately indexing the gun by normal means, I could use a laser to index it.

I could hide a gun under a newspaper and index it with the laser without ever disclosing the gun. Same thing with the gun under a table.

The thing that concerns me about them is people may tend to gradually over-rely on them and neglect marksmanship. Although I have heard it said that most LEOs would shoot better with a laser alone than they would with their sights. Crimson Trace has a number of stats that indicated that very thing.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

[QUOTE=P95Carry;371476]
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Glock View Post
    lasers are enhancement tools

...it is not a crutch but another tool in my bag. QUOTE]

My take exactly
    Agree 110 %
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Yeah, my intentions with a laser were not make me shoot better...i've got lots of expeirence shooting through iron sights, and I shoot just fine. I just thought that for the particular model that i'm going to carry, a J model snubby, and being only accurate up to 7yds, that a laser might help with that in some instances, like what Fed wif a sig and P95 mentioned...low light conditions and such. I just wanted to get a feel of what most of you guys thought of them....tool? or luxery item. After reading what you guys posted about them, I like the idea of it being a tool.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

I have many reasons for liking lasers, but this well written article covers most of my reasons and more better than I ever could.

http://www.corneredcat.com/Gear/lasergood.aspx

BTW this is great site for both men and women shooters, especially newbies.

There are CT's on my wife's S&W 637...nothing else...no other need...to each his own!

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I don't have lasers on any of mine, but there's a guy that shoots at the range all the time... he has laser grips on his Kimber, and I have to laugh every time I watch him shoot. The little red dot shakes violently on the target. He has the most nervous hands I've ever seen. He's a terrible shot, too. Apparently laser sights can't put in what God left out.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links