Is my speedloader broke or am I just dumb?

This is a discussion on Is my speedloader broke or am I just dumb? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up a snubby a little while ago and also picked up an HKS speedloader. It's a 5 round model 36 which I was told ...

Thread: Is my speedloader broke or am I just dumb?

Is my speedloader broke or am I just dumb?

Picked up a snubby a little while ago and also picked up an HKS speedloader. It's a 5 round model 36 which I was told would work for my Taurus 850. When I got home I was eager to try the little device and see how it worked since I was told many time "HKS is the only way to go!" I loaded up the speed loader, held my snubby tilted toward the ground with the cylinder open in my left hand, lined up and inserted the rounds into the cylinder(at this point I was prety impressed at how easy this was), finaly I twisted the release and... one round slid into the cylinder and the rest stayed in the speed loader and I couldn't pull the speedloader away from the weapon... it was stuck!! After much giggling a shaking I managed to get the speedloader free. Thinking I had done something wrong or that the laoder may be malfunctioning I took and loaded the loader back up, held it over a soft surface and twisted the release... all the rounds quickly dropped free. The loader seemed to be working just fine. Time for round two: the same thing happened. This was not very confidence inspiring and quite disappointing that it would be faster to load with my free hand. Someone please help! Do I have the wrong model loader? Am I doing somthing wrong? Do these things take time to "break in"? Please advise.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

2. Remove Ads

Had a S&W 442 Airweight snubbie for some years. Ended up going with the Bianchi Speed Strips because no speed loader could fit alongside the gun while remaining sufficiently straight to allow insertion of the rounds. It definitely had to do with interference of the grip with the speed loader, which would have taken either different grips or filing down the existing grips in order to avoid the problem.

Verify whether your speed loader allows straight, free dropping of the rounds into the cylinder's chambers. If not, determine why that angle of attack isn't right. My guess is that the overall outside diameter of the speed loader is butting up against the side of the gun, during loading.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

When you insert the captive rounds in the speedloader into the cylinder, they should easily "fall" into the chambers all the way to the center post of the speedloader itself. If not - you have the wrong size! I've never owned a Taurus model 85. Does the speedloader itself have the number "36" on the siler twist knob? It may not fit the Taurus.

I did notice that the speed loader is up against the frame of the gun. I bet that's it. Didn't think of it in that light. I figured there was enough play in the rounds inside the laoder that it wouldn't matter. Please tell me more about these "speed strips".

Administrator

Speed Strips

Here is a link - a picture is worth 1,000 words.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=243389

Great, just ordered a pair. Can't wait to try them out. Are there any video demos out there for these?

I use HKS speed loaders with my S&W 638 and have never had a problem.

I find it hard to believe that the spacing would be that different on the Taurus, but if the spacing is greater then the S&W I could see how it would jam up.

According to this site, the Taurus 85 and my S&W 638 use the same size, but I don't see a listing for a Taurus 850???

http://www.pistoleer.com/hks/revolver/
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Lead Moderator
    speed loaders will be faster, but bulkier. With lots of practice you can get really quick with speed loaders.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    I recommend Comp 1 or Comp 2 Safarilands ..... they seem to have a smidegeon less bulk and not foul up so easily against frame or grips.

I do tho on small guns often relieve the top of left grip for better clearance.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Our Ruger SP101s have a similar problem, though not as bad. There simply isn't enough room for the speed loader to "clear" the frame, and there is speedloader to frame contact. The rounds will still release, but it takes some practice to "shimmy" them out quickly...

Edit: We use Safariland speedloaders.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Links