Flashlight suggestions?

This is a discussion on Flashlight suggestions? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll take a picture of my Fenix P3D-CE (160 lumen Cree LED, 2xCR123) at some distance. The last shots I posted were about 10 yards, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight suggestions?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'll take a picture of my Fenix P3D-CE (160 lumen Cree LED, 2xCR123) at some distance. The last shots I posted were about 10 yards, I'll go out a little further this time.

Edit:

Ok, here are two shots. I apologize again for the cruddy quality; I'm taking pics with my 2mp cell phone - the white balance is horrible. The spill lighting as viewed with real eyes is much better than the pics let on. The only lighting in these pictures is from the flashlight - no camera flash, no light on the back porch.

Fence around the pasture, 40+ yards away

Apple tree, 15-20 yards away

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Chooie; May 23rd, 2007 at 12:53 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I picked up a g3 not to long ago, it is impressive! It is almost to bright.

The best part is it retails around $50., I've found them much cheaper than that, you just have to look around.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Surefire. Trusted them since they first came out and they've served me well since the early 80's, and the origional 6P still rocks. I carry the Executive daily, but also use the 6P and 6Z.

Besides that I highly suggest PhotonII little led light. I have about ten of them things around the house, truck and Harley. Those things will light up a building as I have proved on several occasions.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I'm a Surefire fan as well. After checking out a lot of flashlights I went with an E2D. Picked it up for $85 at a gun show(which is a deal). Check around and look for ther best price. A lot of people sell them for more than $100, but you can definitely find one under that.
    And at 25 yards, I can most definitely identify something. An added bonus is that you could mess someone up pretty bad with the bezel of the E2D.

When I take our dogs outside at night I need a flashlight that will light up a spot anywhere in our back yard. Our fence is about 25 yard from the back porch where I stand. I had an E2d (same as E2e) for a while while I could make out there was an animal at 25 yard it would have been difficult to tell if it was my Boston Terrier or a Racoon unless my eyes were adjust well for night. I need something brighter for seeing the dogs at 25 yards. Thats what I based my suggestions on. All will more than light up someone at 25 yards. My top choice would be the Streamlight TL-3(not the LED version). Its a bit smaller than the G3/9P and has more throw. The TL-2 has worked really really well for my lighting things up at 25 yards. During a last deer season I carried it and it was bright enough to see where the tree line was at 200 yards. It would be difficult to carry it daily but you didn't say you were planning on carrying it daily.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Sponsor

Asp Triad

This garage is at about 30 yards. Light from an ASP Triad single lamp, uses 2 123 btrys. I paid $46 and change for it at the BX. Red Diamond Uniforms has them at a slightly higher price. I took a shot with out the light, same settings on the camera for reference. If you want to go LED ASP has this light in a new version called the Triad Tactical with 3 leds for about $150.00 (don't hold me to that price).
    Attached Images
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Get a Surefire 6P and the 120 lumen Cree LED assembly from this company. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1447

I just got mine and it's extremely bright. And no more broken bulbs!! Well worth the $12.50!!!
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

How come there is not much talk about Streamlight products?
    Seems most are big Surfire fans.
    I'm looking at the Stinger right now.
    I want THE BRIGHtest LIGHT in a 5 to 6 inch range.
    Any suggestions? Battery life is not important. I just want a Bright Ass Light for quick ID purposes.
    -Tin Bender-

"Forgive your enemies , but never forget their names."
    ----J.F.K.----

To clairfy; brightest flashlight that is 5 to 6 inches long ;or near that.

-Tin Bender-

"Forgive your enemies , but never forget their names."
    ----J.F.K.----

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down;
    Get a SureFire E2e "Executive Elite"

It's the first thing I grab in the morning and the last thing I put down at night! For personal EDC, it's the absolute best light SureFire makes, IMO.
    +1 E2e or if you want something that makes a statement, SF E2D defender-with crenelated "behavior persuaders".
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

I own a gladius for the house and I love it but I just bought a fenix p2d for everyday carry and it is amazing!> Small, lightweight, and powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Bender View Post
    How come there is not much talk about Streamlight products?
    Seems most are big Surfire fans.
    I'm looking at the Stinger right now.
    I want THE BRIGHtest LIGHT in a 5 to 6 inch range.
    Any suggestions? Battery life is not important. I just want a Bright Ass Light for quick ID purposes.
    The Streamlight Stinger is a good light. Especially if battery life is not important like you said. However...I feel that SureFire makes a better light because I just can't seem to get the beam to focus like I want on my Streamlight Ultra-Stinger that my agency issues. With the SureFire - no worries! It's pre-focussed! And to me, battery life IS important! My Streamlight SL-20 left me dead in the water one night about 45 minutes into a manhunt deep in the woods about a mile (+/-) from my patrol car. And as silly as this may sound, to most (myself included) flashlight concealment is just as important as weapon concealment. The Streamlight Stinger is as easy to conceal as a Desert Eagle...it can be done - but what a task!

My vote goes to the Surefire E 2 series. E1 also works well and is very handy in a pocket. But the E 2 has twice the battery power & gives out brighter light.

After looking more, i really like the idea of the Surefire E2D, but I'm not sure if its bright enough for my needs. I don't really need to carry this flashlight, but it would be a nice option.
    Leaning towards that or something by Fenix. Maybe the L2D-CE. I like the looooong battery life options, and the multiple outputs. Any downsides to it?

Cabella's has a "3 Watt" Flashlight that is nearly as bright as my $165 Surefire Luminax L4 for $20 bucks!!!! I bought 2 and don't even need one! What a deal! Check it out for yourself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links