Flashlight suggestions?

Flashlight suggestions?

This is a discussion on Flashlight suggestions? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; During an incident last night i discovered that i need a brighter flashlight. I've got a couple of the $20 Brinkman LX's and love them, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flashlight suggestions?

Flashlight suggestions?

During an incident last night i discovered that i need a brighter flashlight.
    I've got a couple of the $20 Brinkman LX's and love them, but i need something more. Not sure what the lumen output is on those. I also have a 37lumen Fenix light, those are my only 2 comparisons for what i need besides some assorted mag lights.

What I'm looking for is a light with significant throw. Hopefully something that would reach out to about 25 yards or more, and be able to ID a person. I'm not sure if thats reasonable or not. An hour runtime would be good.

Hoping to spend around $100, not more than $150 hopefully. Would also prefer it used the 123 batteries, I'd rather not have to buy more "special" batteries on top of the ones i already have.

I'm guessing Surefire or Streamlight have many models that fit my criteria, i just need a place to start.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Get a SureFire E2e "Executive Elite"

It's the first thing I grab in the morning and the last thing I put down at night! For personal EDC, it's the absolute best light SureFire makes, IMO.

Listen to Glock 'em...

Search his posts, he is an authority on flashlights.

While the E2e is nice. I would consider it bright or having more throw than a Brinkman LX. If you want bright then why not try a Streamlight TL-3 (not the LED version). It is very bright. Lately I've been on a rechargable battery kick. Thats the nice thing about the TL-3. You can use two Protected Li-ion 17500's. Then you don't have to worry about the cost of 123's. You can also do the same thing with the Surefire 9p or G3 which would give you a brighter light with more throw than your lights you have now.

Another option is that will give you more throw yet is a Maglite 2 C cell to 3x123 mod. Its pretty simple and strait forward. I use one on a nightly basis. :) I use two protected Li-ion 18500's with a 5 cell Mag-Num Star bulb. I puts out a bright whiter beam than a P61 (120 lumens advertised, 150 lumens more realistically) but, you can focus it down to a pretty tight beam for massive throw. I can clearly see a Cell Tower from 200 yards.

If you are looking for a good LED then there are many many options as well. The Fenix line (L1D, L2D, P1D, P2D, P3D) is a good option that puts out alot of light. Also the Lumapower D-mini is a great light. Another option is the Terralux TLE-6EX in the 2C maglite to 3x123 mod.

There are many more options out there but these are the ones that have worked best for me. All will come in under you $100 price with enough left over to get a charger and batteries if you decide. :)
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Will have to agree on any of the SureFire products. I also like the Glaidus (SP?).

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by clipse View Post
    While the E2e is nice. I would consider it bright or having more throw than a Brinkman LX. If you want bright then why not try a Streamlight TL-3 (not the LED version). It is very bright. Lately I've been on a rechargable battery kick. Thats the nice thing about the TL-3. You can use two Protected Li-ion 17500's. Then you don't have to worry about the cost of 123's. You can also do the same thing with the Surefire 9p or G3 which would give you a brighter light with more throw than your lights you have now.

Another option is that will give you more throw yet is a Maglite 2 C cell to 3x123 mod. Its pretty simple and strait forward. I use one on a nightly basis. :) I use two protected Li-ion 18500's with a 5 cell Mag-Num Star bulb. I puts out a bright whiter beam than a P61 (120 lumens advertised, 150 lumens more realistically) but, you can focus it down to a pretty tight beam for massive throw. I can clearly see a Cell Tower from 200 yards.

If you are looking for a good LED then there are many many options as well. The Fenix line (L1D, L2D, P1D, P2D, P3D) is a good option that puts out alot of light. Also the Lumapower D-mini is a great light. Another option is the Terralux TLE-6EX in the 2C maglite to 3x123 mod.

There are many more options out there but these are the ones that have worked best for me. All will come in under you $100 price with enough left over to get a charger and batteries if you decide. :)
    I USED to love rechargers too, until I was about a mile or so from my patrol car and my Streamlight SL-20X decided to quit on me! And when they go dead - THEY ARE DEAD! With a SureFire, all you gotta do is dump the old batts and pop in some fresh ones - Back in business!

Since that day, I always carry two SureFires with me - my EDC SureFire E2e and either a SureFire G2 or a SureFire G3.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal16-1 View Post
    Will have to agree on any of the SureFire products. I also like the Glaidus (SP?).

Brian
    I own the gladius. 150 bucks but worth every penny

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I own the gladius. 150 bucks but worth every penny
    Did Blackhawk get all of the bugs worked out of them? I heard there were lots of problems with the early models.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Did Blackhawk get all of the bugs worked out of them? I heard there were lots of problems with the early models.
    The only issue I see with it is changing the batteries you need to be careful to get the notch lined up. I haven't heard of any bugs and mine has been faithful for over a year now. I like the fact that I can have it on the always on setting at whatever level I desire and simply turn the bezel with my thumb so the next time I hit the button it goes from my light setting to high strobe immmediately. It also has a memory setting for the always on as well which is great. I know it is durable because I beat the crap out of it and it flashes to let me know that the batteries are going to go out.

I'm loyal to Surefire. Same flashlight for 10 years of duty carry and not a hiccup.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I USED to love rechargers too, until I was about a mile or so from my patrol car and my Streamlight SL-20X decided to quit on me! And when they go dead - THEY ARE DEAD! With a SureFire, all you gotta do is dump the old batts and pop in some fresh ones - Back in business!

Since that day, I always carry two SureFires with me - my EDC SureFire E2e and either a SureFire G2 or a SureFire G3.
    Thats nice thing about the setups I provided. In any of the situations you can simply replace the rechargable batteries for 123's. Two 17500's(and 18500's) will work the same as 3 cr123's. So, carry you G3 with the 17500's and carry spare batteries or a spare light. Simple as that. I only have one rechargable that can't run on other readily available cells but it is a special situation type flashlight.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I've Had This Light...

Get a SureFire E2e "Executive Elite"

It's the first thing I grab in the morning and the last thing I put down at night! For personal EDC, it's the absolute best light SureFire makes, IMO.
    (E2e) for several years...it's never failed me...I'm always amazed at how long the batteries seem to last, but then it's only used for short bursts of light...

Great light...

Stay armed...stay bright...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Stay armed...stay bright...stay safe!
    Nice touch... I watch your ever-changing signatures, funny stuff.

Surefire Luminax 4

Just bought one off of E bay and hope that it is not a Chinese copy and that I like it. Will give a report and Seller's ID.
    Tom

I appreciate all the recommendations, but i havnt seen any mention of the distance that the lights are useful. I'm not sure how available or easily explainable that would be, but i'd like to have some idea before I spend $100 on a flashlight.

Basically I'd like to know if it will be useful at 25 yards? At least enough to make out some details.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links