Using Speed Strips

This is a discussion on Using Speed Strips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I only carry 4 rounds in a Speed Strip [skip the first and last holes]. I do this for two reasons. One, I have a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Speed Strips

August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    I only carry 4 rounds in a Speed Strip [skip the first and last holes].

I do this for two reasons. One, I have a stiffer tab to manipulate the little things under stress and, Two, the differences in times and fumbled reloads is remarkable when you start playing with just 4 rounds in a strip.

Whatever your reload time is with a Speed Strip, regardless of whether you are reloading a 5 or 6 shot gun, you will, most likely, find a 50% decrease in overall reload time if you try the 4 rounds on a strip reload. It has to do with the precision required to place exactly one carridge in exactly one hole, or exactly 2 in exactly 2, under duress.

If I am having to reload a snub nosed revolver, in a fight, I'm having a very bad day and I want to get some ammo in and get the gun back in the fight as quickly as I can. For me, 4 rounds on a strip helps accomplish that goal.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gomez
    I only carry 4 rounds in a Speed Strip [skip the first and last holes].

I do this for two reasons. One, I have a stiffer tab to manipulate the little things under stress and, Two, the differences in times and fumbled reloads is remarkable when you start playing with just 4 rounds in a strip.

Whatever your reload time is with a Speed Strip, regardless of whether you are reloading a 5 or 6 shot gun, you will, most likely, find a 50% decrease in overall reload time if you try the 4 rounds on a strip reload. It has to do with the precision required to place exactly one carridge in exactly one hole, or exactly 2 in exactly 2, under duress.

If I am having to reload a snub nosed revolver, in a fight, I'm having a very bad day and I want to get some ammo in and get the gun back in the fight as quickly as I can. For me, 4 rounds on a strip helps accomplish that goal.

Interesting. I'll have to try that on the clock.

That's a pretty good ideal Paul and I'm going to try it for myself. If you only have the one gun on you, I think it'd be a good idea to prepare 2 partially loaded strips the way you suggest and put one on your right side and the other one where your left hand could reach it.

I know a lot of people who only load 5 rounds, because that's all their J frame holds anyway, and that way you can stick it in your watch pocket with only a little plastic tab showing. You can pull it out very quickly and no one thinks anything of a little piece of black plastic. I've had occassion to do this once myself.

When I was in the Air Force in the 80's, the .38spl revolver was the issue weapon for folks like me (Officer, REMF).

My web gear belt folded over itself in th front to either side of the buckle. I tucked a loaded speed strip in each side and used belt keepers to hold them in place.

This was in addition to the (non-issue) speedloaders I had in pouches attached to the grenade holders on each side of my M-16 ammo pouches.

Never had one issued to me for real, but got lots of practice with my Mod 19 at the base range and had my gear set up and ready to go it the balloon went up.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    To be fair, the "4 Round Speed Strip" is not my idea. I was introduced to it by friend and fellow trainer, Michael de Bethencourt.

Michael is a trainer better known for his rather unique folding knife program, but he does a very solid 'snubby revolver' course in the Northeast.

I find that alot of people overload their speed strips which makes their manipulation more difficult. To run a speed strip, you're basically holding it like a scalpel.

Loaded to full capacity, all you have to hold on to is the flimsy tab on the end. If you download to 5, or better yet, 4, leaving empty holes ahead of the tab end, you have more to hang onto with your ring and pinky fingers as you manipulate the strip.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    I think a speed strip in the watch pocket (jeans) is an ideal way to carry a reload. I carry mine there for my 649 J-Frame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links