Using Speed Strips

This is a discussion on Using Speed Strips within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Just wondering if anyone has any insights on using speed strips. One of my favorite carry guns, a Colt Agent revolver< has Eagle Grips ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Speed Strips

Cool Using Speed Strips

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has any insights on using speed strips. One of my favorite carry guns, a Colt Agent revolver< has Eagle Grips replacement grips and while I like the better grip it gives me they interfere with the use of speedloaders. I don't forsee havng to make a fast reload but if I do how fast are speed strips?

KRobb

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006
    Speed strips allow you to load two rounds at a time which is faster than trying to load one at a time by hand however, they take some getting used to, (practice), and if you keep them in your pocket they may come out of the strip after sitting down or digging in your pocket for something else. For obvious reasons are not real secure while mounted in the strip so that they peel off when you need them to. Still they are better than trying to reload one round at a time.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Practice practice practice.

They will always be slower. Get that clear right now. Some very agile people can use them almost as fast as speedloaders. Notice I said almost.

Feed two at a time and then peel the strip off. I have to disagree a little bit with acp here. Mine are pretty tight and I've dropped them and even tossed them and nothing has ever come loose.

They do create a little bit of a paradox though. I find I can retrieve and load the first two rounds on the strip faster than I can load a whole speedloader which I can load faster than I can the whole speed strip. So if you really needed another shot in a hurry, I suppose it is faster.

But that's always been true of revolvers.

Back in the '70s, there was a strip that had diamond shaped protrusions on one side. The rounds were inserted between these protrusions (the protrusions went around the sides of the case) and then the whole thing was rolled up and held together with velcro or something with a small tab left hanging. The rounds were loaded into the cylinder in a manner similar to a modern speed loader, but instead of having to FuTS (that's a scientific term) with a knob or button on the back of the speedloader and then hope it drops clear, you just pulled the tab.

Does anyone remember these things and what happened to them?
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

That sounds like a neat idea.

Another thought occurred to me after reading that: there are different types of speedloaders. The more expensive ones don't require as much manipulation, but they're also pretty big.

Personally I think speed strips is where it's at for wheelgunners when it comes to CCW. Speedloaders are just too darn cumbersome.

I do have an Uncle Mike's universal Speedloader pouch that only holds one. It's actually not too awful in and of itself, but if you sit down wrong or lean on it you can sure feel it. It would only be useful if you knew you weren't going to be sitting down I guess. Maybe if you just wore it all the time you'd eventually forget it was there.

The double speedloader pouches just feel huge.

Speed strips also allow a "tactical" reload--i.e., extracting less than all fired rounds and inserting new to top off--much easier than a speedloader. Conserving rounds can be important if you only have 10-12.

Dillon sells a Speed strip pouch that you can carry in your pocket or on a belt.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

VIP Member
    I prefer speedloaders for speed, speed strips for space saving. Speedloaders can be bulky, and I can stick a speed strip in my back pocket without it printing. Since today I'm carrying a 5-shot .357 S&W 640 and a 6-shot .38 Spl. Colt Cobra, I can either fumble around with two different speedloaders or just tote around a speed strip loaded with .38 Spls.

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Man, if you are thinking interms of 5 shots not being enough, you either carry a backup gun or get an autoloader. Today's pocket 9mm's carry 11 rds, and the full sized guns hold 18-20. Why would you bother with a revolver, unless you think 5 shots suffice?

I do think 5 shots is enough. Nonetheless, I think it is prudent to spend the extra few ounces on a reload, no matter what you are carrying. If nothing else, after I shoot my 5 rounds, I would like to reload before I holster. :)
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

Administrator

This Is Interesting

I read about one guy (years ago) that would modify & somehow alter a semi~auto pistol magazines to hold his spare revolver cartridges...I have NO idea exactly what modifications he made to them.
    Regardless...he would alter them & also clip a couple of coils off to weaken the spring so that he could easily "THUMB FEED" his revolver ammo directly from the magazine into the revolver cylinder holes.
    The magazines seemed to work just fine as a Thumb Feeding System.
    Just a "tidbit" of shootin' history that somebody may want to try tinkering with.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I read about one guy (years ago) that would modify & somehow alter a semi~auto pistol magazines to hold his spare revolver cartridges...
    That's an interesting concept I had never heard of or considered and it sounds like it might work....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I've heard of using a Desert Eagle magazine to hold them before.

My only beef with that is that you're essentially still loading it one at a time, and I can see someone pushing the top round out with their thumb and having the darn thing fall on the ground.

I think if strips are not available, I'd try finding a belt pouch/ammo wallet. Of course it's hard to find one that's not camo, but if you did you could then reload two at a time by hand.

I recall Thad Rybka (the holster maker) recommending "used/abused" 1911 mags as ammo holders. He sometimes packed a customized, round-butt Ruger Backhawk, with the .45 ACP cylinder, and had found reloading by thumbing the rounds from a magazine to be faster than conventional means (belt loops, pouches, etc.). By using mags that were already worn past the point of reliability in his semiautos, he was "recycling" to avoid waste, too!

I have two speed loader pouches...

...which, I think, were manufactured by Rogers and go around the belt so that 3 rounds are IWB and the other 3 are outside. It's not noticably bulkier than a mag pouch.
    Last edited by grnzbra; April 18th, 2005 at 05:21 PM. Reason: repeated word
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I generally use speedstrips as a tactical loading tool, but I can load fairly quickly using the two at a time method.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links