SA Champ owners-wilson mags

This is a discussion on SA Champ owners-wilson mags within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased 2 Wilson 47D mags. They are in like new condition. However , when testing them in my SA Champ, both do not ...

Thread: SA Champ owners-wilson mags

Lead Moderator

SA Champ owners-wilson mags

I recently purchased 2 Wilson 47D mags. They are in like new condition. However , when testing them in my SA Champ, both do not lock the slide back when empty.
    I do NOT think the mags are to blame. the follower (as well as the rest of the mag looks brand new), no wear marks. I looked close on the follower and slide stop contact points, no wear evident. Was wondering if this was a slide stop design issue with SA 1911 pistols.
    the SA factory mags do lock the slide back, but the cheap mil spec mags I purchased before do not.
    Any input is appreciated. thanks.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure it's the mags, the slide stop, or the COMBINATION. I had bought some Wilson mags with my TRP and they would not bring the slide stop fully into the notch, even when brand spanking new. 8 round CMC had full, positive engagement. I think some guys at the 1911 Forum had some Wilson/Springfield issues that were similar, they had full failures to lock back. This was on 5 inch guns, and you already know that you 4 inch will be more finicky. Mine sure was. Springfield was not REMOTELY shy about telling me to use only their factory 7s in my Champion, but it ran and locked fine with CMC 8s. I think the difference in the Wilson 47D spring and other springs is the difference-not enough pressure or velocity to get in up under the stop, especially when the gun's timing may be a hair off.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Lead Moderator
    I had bought some CMC 8 rnd mags too. They did not lock the slide back either. Perhaps a new slide stop is in order .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would try the slide stop not that i think about it more

VIP Member
    I have a Springer Champ and Wilson Magazines too. I use the 8 round 47D's for the range and 8 round 47DC's for carry.

Not a single hic-up, 200 rounds so far!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links