Do You Keep A Bug-out Bag Ready To Go ? - Page 2

Do You Keep A Bug-out Bag Ready To Go ?

This is a discussion on Do You Keep A Bug-out Bag Ready To Go ? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes on the BOB. For a list of what's in mine and why, go here: http://www.borelliconsulting.com/articles/gobag.htm...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do You Keep A Bug-out Bag Ready To Go ?

Yes on the BOB. For a list of what's in mine and why, go here:

http://www.borelliconsulting.com/articles/gobag.htm
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"
    I think, therefore I am armed.

BOB supplies need to be chosen for which type of emergency most likely to cause the need to Bug Out. This goes as well as where to Bug Out to. Here in Washington ther are various things that can create the need to leave. For most people It would be flooding. But we also have Huricanes, Earthquakes and Volcanos.

Most floods here one has enough warnings that one can prepare specific needs bags. even with Huricanes there is usually enough pre warning. Now if say Glacier Peak decided to go, it could send a Lahar down the valley and I would be toast or burried or both, no need for a BOB, just a shoval and a lot of luck.

Just Plan for the most likely and add a few Items for the worse case scenario.

People who have a plan around here to run to the mountains, might find all roads are impassible depending on what type of emergancy there is. Alternate locations and backup plans are allways good to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifesaver View Post
    My wife and I both keep bags in our vehicles. We do not think of them so much as bug out bags (BOBs) as we do get home bags (GHBs). We live in a small city close to several military bases. If TSHTF, we really have no place to go but home. That is the purpose of our bags to allow us to get there.
    Wife and I both have the exact same thing. They're for getting home to the rest of our emergency supplies where we will bug *in* unless there's a really good reason not to.

The packs (just cheapo schoolbook type backpacks) are equipped for 2-3 days of survival, cross country if need be, as well as emergency supplies (first aid, etc).

GREAT INFORMATION !!

THANK YOU. HOPE TO COMPILE MORE

INFO TOMORROW.

STAY TUNED.
    -Tin Bender-

"Forgive your enemies , but never forget their names."
    ----J.F.K.----

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I want to -- I just have to seek out some of the online lists of what-to-put-in-it and get one set up. It's coming to be hurricane season here soon -- so I'd better get crackin'!

Now that I'm girlfriend-free, I can do it guilt-free, too!

Time to start buyin' stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by frankborelli View Post
    Yes on the BOB. For a list of what's in mine and why, go here:

http://www.borelliconsulting.com/articles/gobag.htm
    Frank,

I've been reading your writings and I really respect the reviews and information that you put out. I was in NYC on 9/11 as an initial responder, I was on duty and not as prepared as I should have been. It was that BOB article that got me serious about having gear ready to go both on duty and off. Now I carry a WAR bag and BOB on duty and have a off duty bag nearby.

For those who aren't familiar with Frank's website-check it out.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I have an GHB or E&E bag in every vehicle. I use the Diamondback Tactical E&E Bag. This bag contains a spare G19 and 31 rounds of ammo, one folding knife, 2 oz. can of Body Guard OC Spray, para cord, surefire E2L Outdoorsman, energy bars, Gramin GPS, fire starter, emergency blanket, a blow out kit and 6 AR magazines. The vehicle that I drive has an AR in cruiser ready mode in the trunk or back set of the truck.

At home I do keep the serious bags with food, water, extra clothing a complete aid bag and other essentials.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMZ View Post
    2 oz. can of Body Guard OC Spray,
    You and your OC spray, not a cat or family member safe around you

I have a permanant "war bag" that stays in my truck that I hope would contain everything that I could need to get home. It has a spare G-17, 2 spare 17 mags, 3 spare AK mags, an ASP palm defender oc unit, paracord, a personal blow out kit, a couple of rounds of 00 buckshot and several 12ga slugs (u never know), a lighter, small multi tool, fixed blade knife, hand cleaner (also my fire starter), some spare cash, water bottle, and a spare set of keys. There are a few other things I know but thats all I can think of off the top of my head. I also have an AK kept in the storage compartment of my truck.
    I also carry a small medical kit that is set up to treat two people who have sustained rather serious trauma. It contains things like two bags of IV fluid along with setup and prep material, a whole lot of gauze and kerlix, and a few other things handy for such situations.
    I also have a smaller bag for when I am not in my own vehicle that contains spare mags for the pistol I am carrying, a small blow out kit, multi tool, spare batteries for my light, and usually some water.
    At home I have my "Mother Load" packed and ready to go in large Rubbermaid containers.
    Pierce

"Fear is what keeps you alive but panic is what kills you" - Leo

"At contact distances, if you can't shoot him, hit him...Nothing says 'TAP' can't be accomplished by smashing the magazine into his face." - Gomez

TRAMPLE THE WEAK AND HURDLE THE DEAD

I don't keep a BOB. I live where I would go anyway. 300+ acres of family owned land out in the country with multiple ponds and springs.
    My home is my BOB. I am blessed.

The Boys and I will be there Wednesday!
    -Tin Bender-

"Forgive your enemies , but never forget their names."
    ----J.F.K.----

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbracin View Post
    I don't keep a BOB. I live where I would go anyway. 300+ acres of family owned land out in the country with multiple ponds and springs.
    My home is my BOB. I am blessed.
    Man, I wish I could say that. You are blessed. Good thing you realize it.

Bug Out Bag?

No one can have just one...

I have my swat load out bag that primarily has weaponry, ammo, vest, body armor, batteries, camelbaks, GPS and tactical oriented stuff

I keep a general purpose kit in the car that has essentials for staying away from home or travelling, tools, first aid, water storage and purification, blankets or sleeping bag depending on season

I also have several modular first aid kits, and always some sort of first aid in each of my kits.

I have a couple of other ready loaded kits of various sizes from 3 day kits ranging out to long term expeditions.

So, depending on the emergency or amount of time needed to bug out I can grab anywhere from one or two kits or if time and needs permit I can grab around 5 or 6 kits to throw in the car or truck as the wife and I can split in either one or two vehicles.

We also keep an extra unopened 40 lb. bag of dog food on hand so we can take the dogs with us and not worry about feeding them for a couple weeks. (We just rotate the bags. When they finish a bag of food we open the reserve bag and then when at store we buy one bag to have as the "ready" bag)

I do have specialized equipment like Katadyne purifyers, several types of water purification, stoves and fire building equipment, maps compasses, a GPS (invaluable especially when coupled with laptop) My cell phone can be used as a modem for laptop, as long as I have a signal. (I am considering a satellite phone in the future as plans are starting to be more affordable) I also have a 1000 watt power inverter that I can switch between truck or car for portable AC current.

There is also a certain amount of redundency built into most of the kits.

I can also call my broker (toll free) and have funds wired to me anywhere in the world from my commodity account. So as long as I have internet access and my laptop I can still trade commodities from anywhere in the world for income.
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 31st, 2007 at 04:53 PM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    We have the Going to the Hospital to have a Baby Bag GHBB ready to go now
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teak View Post
    You and your OC spray, not a cat or family member safe around you

I have a permanant "war bag" that stays in my truck that I hope would contain everything that I could need to get home. It has a spare G-17, 2 spare 17 mags, 3 spare AK mags, an ASP palm defender oc unit, paracord, a personal blow out kit, a couple of rounds of 00 buckshot and several 12ga slugs (u never know), a lighter, small multi tool, fixed blade knife, hand cleaner (also my fire starter), some spare cash, water bottle, and a spare set of keys. There are a few other things I know but thats all I can think of off the top of my head. I also have an AK kept in the storage compartment of my truck

I hope you take these out to clean every once in a while, im sure you do but you never know...

i dont have a kit yet but am working on it.. as for anyone with stuff like an extra pistol or oc spray, make sure you check them often...
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

The reason I chose those two particular weapons is the fact that they can go the extended period of time without being cleaned and serviced. But yes I do perform regular maintenance on them when I do all the others in the safe. They usually don't go more than a month without seeing the range as well so they don't sit around as much as it might sound.
    Good point though! I hear people at gun shows all the time saying that they want something that they can just throw under the seat of their car and forget about it.
    Pierce

"Fear is what keeps you alive but panic is what kills you" - Leo

"At contact distances, if you can't shoot him, hit him...Nothing says 'TAP' can't be accomplished by smashing the magazine into his face." - Gomez

TRAMPLE THE WEAK AND HURDLE THE DEAD

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links