Do You Keep A Bug-out Bag Ready To Go ? - Page 4

Do You Keep A Bug-out Bag Ready To Go ?

This is a discussion on Do You Keep A Bug-out Bag Ready To Go ? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rangerman2003 I hope you take these out to clean every once in a while, im sure you do but you never know... ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 64
  1. #46
    Member Array conservaDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A cold place
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerman2003 View Post
    I hope you take these out to clean every once in a while, im sure you do but you never know...

    i dont have a kit yet but am working on it.. as for anyone with stuff like an extra pistol or oc spray, make sure you check them often...
    Not THAT often. Make sure your piece isn't over-lubed and then swap out (shoot) the ammo no less than every 6 months to get rid of it. You ought to be shooting your PP ammo more often than that anyway. Oil can seep into ammo if stored too long. And don't store firearms in leather (tannic acid) holsters.

    Brian


  2. #47
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Wink Take your pick

    Quote Originally Posted by conservaDude View Post
    Ok, you've got my curiousity up... why do you think we are heading into troubled times, and what do you mean BY 'troubled times'?

    Thx,
    Brian
    Even though I corner the market on TINFOIL you only have to look at the recent past for reason enough. I mean, I live inSouth Florida and I've been thru about ten Hurricanes in my life including the big one for this area: Andrew and Katrina. That's reason enough. But then there's the 911 scenarios. See any episodes of "24" this past season? Something like that is inevitable. So say all the experts who should know. Hurricane season started last Friday. My supplies are full up, the generator is set....the shutters are good and I live in a home built in 1936 like a bunker on the highest point in the county. Still, I'd BUG OUT in a heartbeat if something was going to happen that could overwhelm all of that.

    I have someplace to BUG OUT to, however. IF I can get to my in-laws in north central FL, we'd all be safe. I'm praying nothing that size occurs because the one needed piece I'm missing for a valid bugout is a good 4x4 vehicle. If the roads are clogged, I'm sunk. My only real hope would be to go truly cross country in certain places to avoid choke points and the inevitable problems with highwaymen (the scum come out for all the big disasters).

    I'm not even going to touch on the religious aspects of these days....that's a whole BOOK. Maybe you've read the last chapter of the Bible?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  3. #48
    Senior Member
    Array Jamie Young's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    559
    I have most of my emergency stuff in a Woolrich ELite Vest and a Backpack.

    Camping gear is survival gear. Like Betty said, just add water and food and I'm ready.

  4. #49
    Lew
    Lew is offline
    Member Array Lew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wiscasset, Maine
    Posts
    320
    I did a pretty good write up on my BOB in this thread here....

    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=23375
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

    "Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

    My Blazer Website

    My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

  5. #50
    Member Array Alien Nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    283
    I keep a small pack but mostly I've concentrated on preparation to hole up. I'm arthritic and have fibromialja so runnin for the hills isn't a great big option for me.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

  6. #51
    Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    749
    I keep one, supplemented by what in my....(end of post for the hilarity)

    My BOB is my AR case, 5 mags loaded with 26 rounds a piece (spring concerns), 2 spare mags for the G32, fire starter and little tiny fire starter kit, small folder, 3 packs of water purification tabs and $500.

    In vehicle, squeeze light (no batts required), magnesium fire starter, 2 plastic ponchos, 20'x30' tarp, old winter coat, case of Gatorade, 2 pocket knifes, camp shovel and 2 camp chairs, first aid kit (small), small gas can.

    Oh yeah, the funny part....







    It's all in my MINIVAN!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin


    Previously known as "cjm5874"

  7. #52
    Member Array conservaDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A cold place
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Even though I corner the market on TINFOIL you only have to look at the recent past for reason enough. I mean, I live inSouth Florida and I've been thru about ten Hurricanes in my life including the big one for this area: Andrew and Katrina. That's reason enough. But then there's the 911 scenarios. See any episodes of "24" this past season? Something like that is inevitable. So say all the experts who should know. Hurricane season started last Friday. My supplies are full up, the generator is set....the shutters are good and I live in a home built in 1936 like a bunker on the highest point in the county. Still, I'd BUG OUT in a heartbeat if something was going to happen that could overwhelm all of that.

    I have someplace to BUG OUT to, however. IF I can get to my in-laws in north central FL, we'd all be safe. I'm praying nothing that size occurs because the one needed piece I'm missing for a valid bugout is a good 4x4 vehicle. If the roads are clogged, I'm sunk. My only real hope would be to go truly cross country in certain places to avoid choke points and the inevitable problems with highwaymen (the scum come out for all the big disasters).

    I'm not even going to touch on the religious aspects of these days....that's a whole BOOK. Maybe you've read the last chapter of the Bible?
    This thread has gotten me to start thinking too. 90% of Alaska's supplies come through a single point: Port of Tacoma. If something disastrous happened down there, then the back-ups are the Port of Portland and Port of Vancouver (BC), trucks up the Alcan and cargo aircraft ...but assuming Seattle (rich, big, highly noticed ...compared to us up here) has serious issues, how long do you think it would be before WE got on track again? 2 months of supplies seems a bit shy ...I'd like to have about 7 or 8 months of supplies stored away, but have no place to easily store 2 months' worth. Maybe I should build a bigger garden shed and store more household stuff out there so we can store more food stuffs inside the house (can't store food outdoors here.) I can't think of anything worse than trying to make it through a winter in the Interior without food and heating oil... wish I had a wood stove.

    Brian

  8. #53
    VIP Member Array sgtD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Even though I corner the market on TINFOIL you only have to look at the recent past for reason enough.
    But then there's the 911 scenarios. See any episodes of "24" this past season? Something like that is inevitable. So say all the experts who should know.
    Ex, you are probably a bit more "concerned over things than most, but I'm probably real close to where your coming from. Since this isn't a wacko survivalist site (I really don't like those) I don't want it to become one. However, from the intel that is being generated, I fully expect to see a mushroom cloud over a major U.S. city someday. The terrorists will do it if they are able, and they may be sooner than we think.

    Still, One or two cities would proabaly not constitute a national meltdown. Several similar attacks at once, or in sequence would be very, very bad, real fast.

    I believe in being prepared for whatever I have to do to protect my family and my country if need be.

    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I'm missing for a valid bugout is a good 4x4 vehicle. If the roads are clogged, I'm sunk. My only real hope would be to go truly cross country in certain places to avoid choke points and the inevitable problems with highwaymen (the scum come out for all the big disasters).
    I am moving to Kansas in July and my Swamp Buggy is for sale if you think you might need it.

    Oh, and to get back on topic, yes I keep several BOBs.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

  9. #54
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Wink Depends on the cities....

    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Still, One or two cities would proabaly not constitute a national meltdown. Several similar attacks at once, or in sequence would be very, very bad, real fast. I am moving to Kansas in July and my Swamp Buggy is for sale if you think you might need it.
    Depends. Imaging the impact of a nuke at the mouth of the Mississippi, at the Port of Tacoma and maybe at the Port of Miami?

    As far as the Buggy, thanks but I was referring to a passenger vehicle thats 4x4 with some ability to haul people, dogs and cargo over both paved and off the road. I'd actually prefer this:

    http://www.sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html and I'm working on that.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  10. #55
    Member Array conservaDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A cold place
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    <snip>However, from the intel that is being generated, I fully expect to see a mushroom cloud over a major U.S. city someday. The terrorists will do it if they are able, and they may be sooner than we think.

    Still, One or two cities would proabaly not constitute a national meltdown. Several similar attacks at once, or in sequence would be very, very bad, real fast.<snip>
    At the same time that the 9-11 committee report was coming out, the EMP (electromagnetic pulse) committee report came out. It got very little press because the 9-11 report was the big news. But in any case, the conclusion of that committee was that an EMP burst over the United States was a far larger and imminent (sp?) threat than any other. Interesting. Then you look at Iran and their continued development of nuclear weaponry and the air-burst ballistic missile testing that they've been doing and you have to wonder if the EMP committee was right. The question is 'who' would do it I think. Whack-nut terrorists would because they've got nothing to lose and everything to gain, but their problem is one of deployment ...they don't have the missile technology and they don't have a sneaky way of getting here with said system in order to deploy anyway, and they sure as heck can't launch from the other side of the pond either. What it really comes down to is whether a rogue NATION would enable the whack-nuts or not, or do it themselves. Personally, I think that they ALL have a dog in the fight economically and to knock out the US would not help anyone. I can far more easily imagine Iran (or somebody empowered by Iran) knocking out Israel ...but to disable the US with an EMP-burst weapon would throw the whole world into a depression... And I don't see that happening. Their interest is probably more along the lines of seeing a gradual US decline along with a gradual coming-up in other regions.

    So I disagree with the EMP committee ...I think they were paranoid. I can far more easily imagine terrorist whack nuts stinking up the Port of Tacoma with a dirty bomb (in Alaska ...the POT is what I am most concerned about ...other targets exist of course.) Either way, I don't think I'll put together a BOB since there is no place to go, but I will start taking steps towards surviving independently in our house for several months, even though we're located in the Alaskan Interior where it gets COLD. I might buy a second oil tank and just keep it full...

    Brian

  11. #56
    Member Array conservaDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A cold place
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    <snip> As far as the Buggy, thanks but I was referring to a passenger vehicle thats 4x4 with some ability to haul people, dogs and cargo over both paved and off the road. I'd actually prefer this:

    http://www.sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html and I'm working on that.
    Right on! That's a NICE rig and no joke either. Very useful.

    Brian

  12. #57
    VIP Member Array sgtD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by conservaDude View Post
    Right on! That's a NICE rig and no joke either. Very useful.

    Brian
    Yep, that's a nice ride Ex.

    As far as an attack, I agree with your assesment conservadude. We are the economic engine of the world and that goes some way toward keeping us safe from other countries. Terrorists however don't care much about that stuff. If Al Queda or some similar wackos could detonate a nuclear device in several cities we would be in trouble. From what I understand the bombs are not that hard to build if they get their hands on the materials. Some think they are trying and some people think they are just waiting. Who knows? Be ready for whatever comes I guess.

    BTW Ex, I read one intel report that listed Miami as one of the 7 cities most likely to be on their nuclear target list. Then again, I don't believe everything I read.

    I fear though that we have drifted off topic here. My appologies.
    Last edited by sgtD; June 7th, 2007 at 07:58 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

  13. #58
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Wink I'll let you know when I can afford it...

    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Yep, that's a nice ride Ex.

    As far as an attack, I agree with your assesment conservadude. We are the economic engine of the world and that goes some way toward keeping us safe from other countries. Terrorists however don't care much about that stuff. If Al Queda or some similar wackos could detonate a nuclear device in several cities we would be in trouble. From what I understand the bombs are not that hard to build if they get their hands on the materials. Some think they are trying and some people think they are just waiting. Who knows? Be ready for whatever comes I guess.

    BTW Ex, I read one intel report that listed Miami as one of the 7 cities most likely to be on their nuclear target list. Then again, I don't believe everything I read.

    I fear though that we have drifted off topic here. My appologies.
    The Ultimate Adventure vehicle figures at about $77K new. So my DREAM ride continues on....in my dreams. But as I said...I AM workin' on it.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  14. #59
    Member Array conservaDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A cold place
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    The Ultimate Adventure vehicle figures at about $77K new. So my DREAM ride continues on....in my dreams. But as I said...I AM workin' on it.
    $77k !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Back in the '70s, we'd fix up Ford Econolines for $1500 in goodies and that was RICH. What makes a van with pressboard cabinets and 4x4 gear worth $40k more than what you can buy the pieces for on your own? They must all be hand built, but for that much money, I'd go take some classes at the local community college and build my own.

    Brian

  15. #60
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Wink Actually...

    Quote Originally Posted by conservaDude View Post
    $77k !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Back in the '70s, we'd fix up Ford Econolines for $1500 in goodies and that was RICH. What makes a van with pressboard cabinets and 4x4 gear worth $40k more than what you can buy the pieces for on your own? They must all be hand built, but for that much money, I'd go take some classes at the local community college and build my own.

    Brian
    I've actually visited the plant in Austin, Texas (there is another in Indiana and one in California) and YES they pretty much ARE hand built. They are a marvel of engineering for the QUIGLEY 4x4 conversion. There is a lot on the upside to make them more affordable: You can get a 15 year mortgage and list them as a "second home." Plus the RV insurance is a lot less than SUV type insurance. Get the diesel version and the optional 48 (IIRC) gallon fuel tank PLUS the optional jerry can rack on the back next to the swing out sp tire and your cruising range comes to about 1200 miles on a single fuel tank. In a BUG OUT situation, that might be life and death. 77K for the ULTIMATE ADVENTURE vehicle. That thing includes winch, sattelite tv, flat screen monitors, generator, marine toilet, a stove that draws directly from the fuel tanks for cooking...yup.... a diesel stove! a host of ultimate options. You can pick up a lesser equipped Sportsmobile for a little bit more than the cost of a new 4x4 Suburban. They do sell them used, too.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Just be ready
    By kelcarry in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: January 9th, 2010, 10:53 PM
  2. Are you ready?
    By jdivence in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 1st, 2009, 11:21 PM
  3. Why keep several ready to go?
    By SIXTO in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: February 25th, 2008, 03:02 AM
  4. Are you ready?
    By Huzar in forum Related Gear & Equipment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 5th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Search tags for this page

bug out bag

,

bug out bag ready to go

,

bug out plans

,
bug out route fl
,
bugging out route from miami, fl
,
buging out from miami, fl
,

ready to go bug out bags

,

small bug out bag in a tin

,

tin location

,

us palm armor review

,

us palm defender

,
where do you keep the bug out bag
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors