Tactical flashlight preliminary test results...

This is a discussion on Tactical flashlight preliminary test results... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We are testing handheld tactical lights and I have posted some preliminary results on our web site. http://chattanoogastate.edu/engineer...ort%20rwrt.pdf We have more lights to test and ...

Senior Moderator

We are testing handheld tactical lights and I have posted some preliminary results on our web site.

http://chattanoogastate.edu/engineer...ort%20rwrt.pdf

We have more lights to test and I just finished the design for a switch activator so we can run cycle tests after we finish the continuous run down testing.

Essentially, what we have discovered at this point is that the "CR123" powered lights can produce a very bright light, but the output goes down dramatically with time. For example, after about 30 minutes of run time, a 65 lumen light will only produce 52 lumens.

Nicad powered lights hold their outputs better but die rather suddenly.

LED lights have a fairly "flat" output level for about 2.5 hours and then dim very slowly. Except for the Inova LED (tested but not shown), the LED lights don't really match the output power of the Xenon bulb lights.

Assistant Administrator
    Except for the Inova LED (tested but not shown), the LED lights don't really match the output power of the Xenon bulb lights.
    I have to say - reference my humble lil Surefire E1e ... I reckon in that case the LED head is pretty much ''up there'' compared with std bulb.

My light is only a belt carried item - tho I have considered getting a tac' light to go on my 226 - trouble is then holstering!

The LED head is wicked pricey but - my thinking was with regard to the sudden drop-off of output with the bulb. I use my light for so many things and did not want ''sudden death'' when least needed!

My main appraisal has been re the reach of the beam and - a flash into someone's eyes! Of course the LED output is much ''colder'' in color temperature, which is no prob. Plus the fall-off of output is nicely extended. Despite the light's very modest output (compared to larger models) - everyone on whom I have tried the flash in the eyes test has recoiled and made a sorta ''ouch'' sound (self included) - reporting then a loss of clear vision for a second or so.

Thus for me that does prove well useful and in a low light/dark situation would I feel permit me that vital fraction of time to get gun into play.

Many thx for the PDF.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    Hmmm, all I get is a DNS error when I try to take that link....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    Hmmm, all I get is a DNS error when I try to take that link....
    Some people just can't operate a computer - just kidding of course.

I just clicked on the link in my post and it came right up. It's posted as a .pdf document and you have to have Acrobat Reader to view it, but I bet you've got Acrobat Reader. But if by chance you don't have, you can download it free from:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

If that doesn't solve the problem, please let me know.

Assistant Administrator
    Other option, depending on your puter setup - is to right click on that link and ''save target as'' .... tho that may work for me because of way my download manager is set up.

IIRC IE in default mode should open Acrobat Reader within itself with that sorta link. Latest Reader has an option to save the file.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Some people just can't operate a computer - just kidding of course.
    Arggg, after 30 years in the business and almost 10 on the internet, you may be right. Sometimes I think this rots my brain. Then again I think I will blame it on liberals..

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Other option, depending on your puter setup - is to right click on that link and ''save target as'' .... tho that may work for me because of way my download manager is set up.

IIRC IE in default mode should open Acrobat Reader within itself with that sorta link. Latest Reader has an option to save the file.
    I have the new version of Acrobat installed and every other PDF I have attempted to view has worked fine. Having my head in a dark place last night, I didn't even think of saving it first. That worked fine
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, 30 years, and you're having trouble with simple things you say.

Again, just kidding, I've probably been around at least as long as you; I'm just not having the symptoms. Now, where am I and what was I going to say?

When people ask me what kind of computer they should buy, I tell them it depends on how much frustration they want in their life.

As for blame, I'm in favor of blaming the liberals! They are always trying to brainwash us!

Links