Body Armor question

This is a discussion on Body Armor question within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys quick question for our LEOs on board, about body armor I just finished my Reserve Sheriffs Deputy acedemy and have bought 99% of ...

Thread: Body Armor question

Body Armor question

Hi guys

quick question for our LEOs on board, about body armor

I just finished my Reserve Sheriffs Deputy acedemy and have bought 99% of my gear but need advice on a vest

We need to purchase a vest for street wear

Min. of a level II

we have a chance to buy a second chance monarch 329 level II the price is good about 1/2 of retail

my question is my company can buy vest from Armor Express at cost (IE very good price)

what vest do i buy
    and is it worth the extra $$ and is it needed to step up to a level IIIA or step to a Level IIIA- spike 1

Help please

JAmie

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Yes....go IIIA if you can with a heavy shock plate. The IIIA takes more rounds that are on the street than a level II can. Also the shock plate I used on the street and in tactical situations now, can take hits from a 308 and protects my heart.

As far as what company I use/used Safariland and Second Chance.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Administrator

Post This past thread might help

Visit this link click here

I would go with a threat level IIIA w/ an added Trauma Plate anyway.

ALSO:
    Please make absolutely certain that whatever Second Chance body armor you are offered a good deal on is not one of their defective product vests.

Second Chance Body Armor Bulletproof Vests Information
    Police officers across the country are concerned bulletproof vests made by a Michigan-based company are defective after it was discovered that an important material the vests are made from may quickly deteriorate. According to recent studies, vests containing Zylon, which is reportedly one of the toughest man-made fibers, may deteriorate under heat and humidity.

Manufacturer Second Chance Body Armor, Inc. accounts for about 40 percent of bullet-resistant vest sales in the United States. Several lawsuits have already been filed against Second Chance over the defective vests. In the fall of 2003, a Pennsylvania officer was shot in the midsection after a bullet passed through his vest. Second Chance has received other reports of injuries involving Zylon fiber body armor.

Police departments had recently favored Zylon-made vests because they weigh less than the conventional bullet-proof material Kevlar. Several states are now reconsidering the use of the vests.

In July 2004, Pennsylvania's attorney general Jerry Pappert filed a lawsuit against Second Chance accusing the company of withholding information about defects in its bulletproof vests. According to the suit, safety investigators informed Second Chance years ago that its vests were losing strength after about 200 hours of light exposure and during various heat and humidity conditions. Officials with the company reportedly only issued a warning after two officers wearing the vests were shot and wounded.

If you have been injured by a Zylon-made bulletproof vest, it may be important to contact an attorney who can help you protect your legal rights. Please keep in mind that there may be time limits within which you must commence suit.

More Info Click Here

I use a IIIA by Point Blank. I looked for no real deals, if it fails I can't go get a refund anyway.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Senior Moderator
    THe newer III A's are lighter than some of the older style II A's'.

Try Galls. They've got some great deals on vests.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm a Second Chance survivor from a bad on-duty MVA. My allegiance is to them and I highly recommend the same.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Administrator
    I'll back up the second chance 3A, but do make sure that your good deal is not one of the recalled vests.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Second Chance has destroyed all the recalled vest from what their company rep said. If they sell a recalled one they'll loose all credibility (and even as a survivor I'd stop using them).
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Administrator

fed_wif_a_sig

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.
    Maybe they are now offering vests to LEOs at a reduced price in order to gain some of their reputation back. That's cool.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I wear a IIIA, and recommend that level if it is feasible. I would be sure that, whatever level you decide on, that it can stop your duty round from your duty pistol, at a minimum.

I had two recalled vests - one has been replaced so far and I am waiting for the other. All Zylon that comes back is destroyed, I'm certain. The law suit for knowingly issuing a recalled vest would be catastrophic and indefensible.

As for brands, I have both Second Chance and P.A.C.A. (basically the same company) and have no complaints (other then the general complaints that body armor is hot, restrictive, blah, blah, whine, whine.) Look for weight per square foot and thickness when you are comparing brands/styles.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

http://www.body-armor.com/

Protective Products International makes the lightest, thinnest II and IIIA vests I could locate. They're really nice, and cost around $500. In my job, many people don't wear armor at all unless serving a warrant...I wanted something that was as unnoticable as possible and gave me the fewest possible excuses not to wear. I use it my co-workers don't even know I have it on, much less my subjects...who I usually don't even tell I'm a LEO until I'm cuffing them.

I like the vest a lot, and the ability to have it cut in a style which suits your work is really nice.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I think I have a Point blank around, but I usually use American Body Armor.

I would definitely spend the extra $$ & go with the IIIA. There's really no reason not too, & today's IIIA are lighter & more comfortable than yesteryears lighter ones.

As has been mentioned, don't skimp on the trauma plate. Go with the best one you can get/buy, IMHO.

The most important thing is also make sure it's fitted to you. A properly fitter vest makes a big difference & doesn't cost more, just takes more time on your end...big deal.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

thanks guys

I knew i would get real world answers here

the Second Chance vest are being offered thru the Dept at good prices (same vest they buy for the regular officers)

My company can buy the armor express vests at 40% off retail even cheaper then the vest at galls

since most of my duty is boat patrol we normally wont wear vests there but we also do city partol for big events like fireworks etc.

my next question is should i spend extra $$ and get a vest that is spike resistant also

i can get a IIIA spike 1 vest for 950ish
    were a IIIa no spike is between 600 and 700

JD

Senior Moderator
    my next question is should i spend extra $$ and get a vest that is spike resistant also
    That is entirely up to you. If you feel like you need it, then get it...you only get once life to play with and money should not be an object.

Personally, I have never felt the need for one.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links