Medical supplies

Medical supplies

This is a discussion on Medical supplies within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking online for IV saline solution and related equipment (tubes, catheters) for my bug out kit. Does anyone know where such things would ...

Thread: Medical supplies

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

Medical supplies

I've been looking online for IV saline solution and related equipment (tubes, catheters) for my bug out kit. Does anyone know where such things would be found? What I had from my infantry days is expired and my current outfit won't resupply me.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Try this sight, I get their catalog, they have nearly all you need for midical and emergency supplies.
    http://www.galls.com/msn/

exactly what are you looking for...just saline solution, ivs and tubing?

That's pretty much it. I can get bandages and improvise splints and tourniquets, Just the IV stuff is elusive.

Most of what I see commercially is "how many different sizes of band-aids can we put in one box". I'm mostly concerned with sever bleeding, fractures and shock. I'm not sure if the saline is restricted or what (I've seen catheters online before).

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Did some more searching.
    Saline and medical supplies in Google turn up nothing. Paramedic supply brought me to This site.

Looks like it requires some sort of prescription for the solution however.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Superhouse15 linked to this site in the "Do You Keep A Bug-Out Bag Ready To Go" thread.

hso
    Lactated Ringer's requires a prescription/Dr. order. Check with your local medical supply and find out if your Dr. will cut a script for you to purchase. Odds are he won't, but that's your path forward.

If that fails try your vetrinarian. A prescription from him sent to any of the vet supply websites will get a liter shipped for about $14.
    Last edited by hso; June 6th, 2007 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hso View Post
    Lactated Ringer's requires a prescription/Dr. order. Check with your local medical supply and find out if your Dr. will cut a script for you to purchase. Odds are he won't, but that's your path forward.

If that fails try your vetrinarian. A prescription from him sent to any of the vet supply websites will get a liter shipped for about $14.
    +1 to your Vet.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Vet places are good, we give our animals there shots,

Jeffers Pet Supply
    KV Vet

for a couple. Or you local farm supply store, We have Southern States here in the south, (go figure) there you can get pennacillian(spelling) and other items.

the "vet wrap" is the same as that spungie, self sticking wrap (coflex?) for at least half the price. If you don't mind the bright colors.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Link to IV site

I did find one that says they will sell without a prescription, as Lmarshall said. BUT, I have never actually ordered from them myself, just found them via Google. http://syringesupplies.samsbiz.com/?..._Supplies.html Actually, I've been thinking about their suture kits and learning how to do that. I'm sure I can find an RN or PA around to teach me how, but nobody wants to volunteer to be a patient I found lots of sites to teach you how to start one, and it's a lot easier to find a practice victim for IVs. If you need a good list of what you need, please feel free to PM me.

If you don't try them any Vetrinary supply is a well known low cost alternative for all kinds of supplies (and that Coflex is great trauma stuff). I guess the malpractice insurance is less so the overhead is lower.

When it comes to online medical supplies. You can count on us. Kindly click on my signature below. Thanks!

IV solutions, IV catheters and all that stuff requires a prescription from a physician.

EMS supply companies will sell non-prescription items to individual's however drugs, IV solutions and IV catheters will require a prescription.

EMS services can buy drugs and such because the physician medical director for the ambulance service or fire department has a signed form on file with the supplier which has the physician's DEA number and signature which states the service can buy their Rx meds in bulk at anytime they need it.

It is also a crime for individuals to have those items in their possession if you do not have a prescription from your doctor with it. It's just like having a friend give you some of their vicodin or other pain reliever. It's illegal. People get away with it a lot, but it's illegal none the less. If you have a prescription for narcotic pain relievers, it's also a crime not to have them stored in the bottle with the label. For example, you can't just take three or four of them and put them in your pocket or in an aspirin bottle to keep in your car in case you need one while you're out. Prescription controlled drugs and items must be kept with the pharmacy label if you're a private individual.

Veterinarians are also licensed by the DEA. It is illegal for them to knowing supply people with medications and IV supplies if the drugs and IV's are intended for human use. They can lose their license to ever give meds, so many vets scrutinize closely who they will give antibiotics or IV's to. They pretty much have to know you well, and are willing to risk their practice, license and business. Because that is what you are asking them to do. To risk their livelihood and business to supply you with stuff you are not supposed to have without a prescription. Some vets will do it if they know you, and know the history of your pets or livestock animals. What you are doing is knowingly asking them to commit a crime. Not a very cool thing to do when you look at it from that perspective, eh?

Also, do you want to risk losing your ccw permit if you ever get jammed up with the police over illegal prescription drugs and IV fluids? Or if the DEA ever investigates your Veterinarian, you think he'll really keep you out of it? All of that is on a Felony Level.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    IV solutions, IV catheters and all that stuff requires a prescription from a physician.
    Happen to know about the military? Ive been through the SOCM course for the Army and I carry that stuff in my truck everywhere I go. I have been told that I'm not authorized to start IVs or push other drugs on civilians that are not in a military base, but I might want to look that up as to carrying off the base. I'm sure a Dr somewhere signed off on my unit having IV equipment and it was issued to me. I'll have to figure that one out.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I picked up a Trauma Kit from ITS Tactical called the "ETA Kit" that I highly recommend for everyone to have in their first aid kit, bug out bag, bail out bag or range bag. It's basically a kit to cure three of the most common causes of death in the battle field: 1) Extremity Hemorrhage , 2) Tension Pneumothorax, and 3) Airway Obstruction. The kit includes the following: Quickclot Combat Gauze, 2 Halo Chest Seals, 1 MojoDart Decompression Needle, 1 Naso Airway Adjuster Tube, 1 4" Israeli Bandage, 1 4" Ace Bandage, 1 Z-Pak Gauze, Nitrite Gloves, Combat Card, Pencil and Contents List. It comes in an airtight pack which is very convenient.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Happen to know about the military? Ive been through the SOCM course for the Army and I carry that stuff in my truck everywhere I go. I have been told that I'm not authorized to start IVs or push other drugs on civilians that are not in a military base, but I might want to look that up as to carrying off the base. I'm sure a Dr somewhere signed off on my unit having IV equipment and it was issued to me. I'll have to figure that one out.
    Correct - you have those supplies through the military on the delegated authority of a physician. When and if you use it, that is also on the delegated authority of a physician. It's the same way paramedics work in the field. As a paramedic, I could not prescribe and administer medications to a patient under my own license. However, under the delegated authority of my medical director, I could and did administer medications, perform invasive procedures and even place surgical airways.

But absent a physician delegating me that authority, I could not have done so.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Links