Olight S30r update- junk pile - Page 3

Olight S30r update- junk pile

This is a discussion on Olight S30r update- junk pile within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well this sucks. First nice flashlight I bought about 7 yrs ago was an OLight T10. Still use today w/o any problems. Kinda puts a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Olight S30r update- junk pile

VIP Member
    Well this sucks. First nice flashlight I bought about 7 yrs ago was an OLight T10. Still use today w/o any problems. Kinda puts a damper on getting a newer one.

Senior Moderator
    This may be part of the problem, SIXTO, which I found on Amazon this AM:

This little flashlight in turbo mode puts out a lot of energy. In turbo mode, enough to be dangerous... Both from the light and also the heat. (The body of the flashlight itself can get 'hot' with extended use at the highest setting). The light is held magnetically to its very convenient charger base. But a hazard that I noted was that the charging end of the flashlight needs a cover.

The base has exposed contacts and is magnetic. It fits in your pocket, as do car keys and other ferrous metal odds and ends. Should those keys be drawn to the magnetic base, things could get hot fast. I was curious, wanted to test the theory with a small (less than would cover a dime) piece of steel wool. I thought there might be a spark, but I forgot the end of the light is magnetized. The threads from the steel wool immediately jumped to the contacts and ignited. Cool if you are in the wilderness trying to start a fire, not so cool at the kitchen table. Still a good, reliable and powerful light, but now I am looking for some kind of rubber cover to put over the charging end. I might not recommend as a gift for a young kid due to the beam intensity and fire hazard.

The contacts at the end of the flashlight are always "hot"... Meaning that should any metal particles collect there it will short the battery. A rubber cap that could be placed over the end when not charging would be a good idea I think.
    I got a "Hot Pocket" with mine awhile back.

So, forewarned. This would not be a good flashlight for purse carry or bag carry with loose metallic objects.
    SIXTO likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Albert Camus

Does not surprise me at all. I've tried cheap lights. They just don't work for any length of time. Fenix and 5.11
    Surefire and Streamlight
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story...
    NRA Member
    If I'm not hunting, I'm either at the range, scouting, reloading, or practicing archery.
    A proud member of that "vast right wing conspiracy", and an infidel to boot!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Does not surprise me at all. I've tried cheap lights.
    Sadly, this was not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Sadly, this was not cheap.
    Ouch!
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story...
    NRA Member
    If I'm not hunting, I'm either at the range, scouting, reloading, or practicing archery.
    A proud member of that "vast right wing conspiracy", and an infidel to boot!

I gambled on https://www.amazon.com/Outlite-Handh...ght+flashlight and was pleasantly surprised. It was $20 but decent... Not amazing, not a surefire or a streamlight, but for $20, WELL worth it....
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Senior Moderator
    I've used mine some more, and would now add that the On/Off button can be irritating difficult to find based solely on feel (at least with my older hands). I would now look for an end-cap O/O switch. Additional, I sometimes, but rarely bump the switch on.

I like the light otherwise, the brightness settings, the recharge base and the size.
    QKShooter likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links