Surefire G3 for weapon light?

This is a discussion on Surefire G3 for weapon light? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How bout this one for using in a fobus light mount for my shotgun and SKS? Will it take the abuse of recoil? I apologize ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire G3 for weapon light?

How bout this one for using in a fobus light mount for my shotgun and SKS? Will it take the abuse of recoil? I apologize for asking over and over about different lights but my budget is extremely tight and this light is from Surefire and is only $60! :D I didn't realize they had lights this affordable.:o I wish I could afford a good weapon light/mount in one but $200+ is way out of my league. We just bought a house six months ago and three months ago our income got cut literally in half so money is hard to come by and I can't afford to make a bad decision.

Max Output: 105!!! (200 lumens)
    With optional ultra high-output lamp
    Runtime: 60/20 minutes
    With optional ultra high-output lamp
    Length: 6.50 inches
    Weight: 5.50 ounces
    Battery: Three 123A Lithium $59+S&H!!:D
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

I've got one of these AND a Safariland carrier both for sale right now!

$55 DELIVERED!
    Last edited by Glock 'em down; June 8th, 2007 at 08:57 AM.

I appriciate it but right now I'm just trying to figure out what I want. Thats not a bad deal though and I'll definitely keep it in mind.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Maybe Surefire could answer your question. I think the plastic one would be less prone to "remain at rest" in recoil, causing damage, than a metal one...maybe even going down to the G2 would help in that part of the physics. I am guessing that lights built to stand up to recoil have some parts or features that non-weapon lights have to help them put up with it.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Maybe Surefire could answer your question. I think the plastic one would be less prone to "remain at rest" in recoil, causing damage, than a metal one...maybe even going down to the G2 would help in that part of the physics. I am guessing that lights built to stand up to recoil have some parts or features that non-weapon lights have to help them put up with it.
    These are definitely some of my concerns. I'll definitely contact them.
    Brian

I've got a G2 mounted on my AR and haven't had a problem with it. Shottie is a different story though. I don't think I'd trust a non-shock light on a 12 gauge. You can get the shock bezel to mount on the G2/3, but the weapon lights also have a ridge that prevents the batteries from smacking into the back of the bulb.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Yea I've been thinking about the shotgun thing. I think I'm going to stick with the light I have for it. 45 limens is not extremely bright but it light up a target VERY well out to 20 yards (good effective range for 00buck anyway). At that distance it does at least make you want to cover your eyes a bit and you can't see anything but the light when on the receiving end so good enough for me.
    So at most I'm gonna get something for my SKS.
    Brian

I have a "Frankenstein" G2 on my Winchester 1300 and it's held up great. The additions include a SF shock bezel and a Pentagon tape switch.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

Quote Originally Posted by bunchok View Post
    I have a "Frankenstein" G2 on my Winchester 1300 and it's held up great. The additions include a SF shock bezel and a Pentagon tape switch.
    Cool! Thanks. I was hoping somebody was using one that has actually mounted it to a gun. How many round of 00buck have you fired with the light mounted?
    Brian

Anything that is not shock isolated runs the risk of going down (blowing the bulb from the recoil). The G2/G3 can make a pretty good weaponlight, but would add a Z32 shock isolated bezel first.

C4

G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alien Nation View Post
    Cool! Thanks. I was hoping somebody was using one that has actually mounted it to a gun. How many round of 00buck have you fired with the light mounted?
    Not a lot, probably 30 rounds or so. I took it out to the farm and did some shooting just to be sure the light would hold up. 30 rounds was enough to convince me the light could handle the recoil. I was shooting Hornady TAP 00 buck, which doesn't kick much harder than birdshot.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

VIP Member
    I run my G2 with my AK and could not be happier.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I appriciate all the feed back. I want to share something I've foud. High quality, reasonable price and loads of power. Wolf Eyes lights. Here is the link:https://www.pts-flashlights.com/category.aspx?uid=1 Check out all the lights in the grey high lighted area.
    Brian

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am old school to the point that the cost of a weapon mounted light FOR ME does not justify its self . Nor do i honestly see a real advantage to a mounted light with my training . I dont own a pistol that is railed for accys , in fact my ar is not . If you want a " tac " light for any firearm feel free but for myself i dont need a " porchlight " to deal with on any of mine . Now i know that i have become a fossil as far as overall gun handling goes but none the less ... for me its a non issue .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    I am old school to the point that the cost of a weapon mounted light FOR ME does not justify its self . Nor do i honestly see a real advantage to a mounted light with my training . I dont own a pistol that is railed for accys , in fact my ar is not . If you want a " tac " light for any firearm feel free but for myself i dont need a " porchlight " to deal with on any of mine . Now i know that i have become a fossil as far as overall gun handling goes but none the less ... for me its a non issue .
    If you were forced into a situation where you had to search out the BG in the dark what would you do? I'm not trying to be sarcastic just trying to make a point.
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links