Watches - Page 2

Watches

This is a discussion on Watches within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier762 Funny thing, most army officers I know either have the Rolex Divers or the Seiko Divers and most all SpecOps guys ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Watches

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Funny thing, most army officers I know either have the Rolex Divers or the Seiko Divers and most all SpecOps guys have the Rolex. I think it's part of their uniform. At least that's what they say. LOL
    You bet exsoldier. Having been there I can tell you that to be Special Forces you HAVE to have a Rolex Submariner, a star sapphire ring and a demo knife. Those are the prerequisites. Having at least one divorce and papers showing that you have been committed to a mental institution at one time or another are a plus in your favor.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Thumbs up SpecOps

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    You bet exsoldier. Having been there I can tell you that to be Special Forces you HAVE to have a Rolex Submariner, a star sapphire ring and a demo knife. Those are the prerequisites. Having at least one divorce and papers showing that you have been committed to a mental institution at one time or another are a plus in your favor.
    Have I said: Thank you for your service? My very best buddy for the last 35 years is a retired SOF LTC. He fits your definition in every respect except institutionalization and I'll bet he would say that his tenure as an instructor at the Army War College in PA qualifies him. Ya think? He taught SF ops to legs and others. I guess I'm a "LEG" which as we all know, stands for "Lack of Essential Guts." He is kind when he refers to me as a "NAP" or "Non-Airborne Personnel." I busted my leg in airborne school before I got to jump week and never went back.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactician
    Don't ask me why I am asking this question on a gun related forum but I haven't really found a watch forum so I will ask it here anyway.

I have worn the same watch for years, an old Casio G-SHOCK that has had the battery replaced more than once. Boring. Now I want to get something different since I never really liked the digital watches. It always seemed that you had to read a digital watch where you could just glimpse at a regular watch that has hands. My question to all of you, if you are not all rolling your eyes thinking that this is a really dopey question to be asking here, is what watch do you wear? Do you like or dislike you watch? Why or why not? Are you considering a new watch?

If I didn't post this in the right place I apologize.
    Think Luminox. Their better watches are indestructable and have the absolute best luminescence out there. I wear one about 3/4 of the time.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by jim verdolini
    Think Luminox. Their better watches are indestructable and have the absolute best luminescence out there. I wear one about 3/4 of the time.
    The Luminox is what I have been looking at for those occasions I don't really want to risk dinging the Rolex. I have heard nothing but good things about their watches.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Wink

Luminox? Is that the watch touted as the SEAL watch? What's a decent price on it? My watch has to be pretty rugged.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    The Luminox is what I have been looking at for those occasions I don't really want to risk dinging the Rolex. I have heard nothing but good things about their watches.
    They are really great watches, swiss made, tritium luminescence, and ultra rugged. They also come in some pretty dressy styles. I like this style.

http://www.luminox.com/catalog/catalog16.asp

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Luminox? Is that the watch touted as the SEAL watch? What's a decent price on it? My watch has to be pretty rugged.
    The prices run from about $200 to about $800. I own two, My most worn is water resistent to over 600 ft. Is all metal, metal band, and virtually indestructable. They also make automatic versions and a few dress watches.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Sadly I can't wear a wrist watch.
    I have this wierd body chemistry thing going on. Stuff that will nearly kill other people doesnt seem to bother me, but I am alergic to rubber and almost all metals other than gold. At least if it stays in close contact with my skin for any period of time. I have to have real leather shoes, (havent put on a pair of sneakers in 10 years) else my feet break out too.

If I buy a watch and wear it, in a weeks time my wrist will have a huge sore on it and the stainless steel backing plate on most watches is beginning to change colors. I have had one or two begin to pit. I can wear them really loose, but they get hung on everything. I finally went to a pocket watch for a while, but just started using the clock on my cell phone when I started carrying it.

(OH NO! Not another GS story!! )

On a side note, I guess my problem has it's upside. I used to work in a factory with a large electroplating operation. They still use cyanide in their process which isn't to dangerous once it is disolved into water, unless you drink it. However, it is a severe skin irritant in any kind of concentration. I was working on their waste water treatment system one day, (neutralizing chemicals, not human waste) In one of the pits, that had flooded. I was the electrical guy but as usual the mechanics had all gone home and I was the only one left who was willing to climb down into a pit with 2' of mystery chemical water and rebuild a 480volt 3 phase pump. (i had on waders and the power was locked and tagged) I spent 45 minutes getting everything done, but just as I was putting the last pieces together I dropped a piece into the water. You couldnt see a thing in this water. One of the guys who supposedly knew all about all the chemicals in the area happened to have just climbed down the ladder, and saw me drop it. He bent over and stuck his bare arms into the water trying to find the part. I asked whether it was safe and he assured me it was as long as I washed up when I got out. So I stuck my arms into the water as well. I forgot who finally found it, but three of us were looking by the time it turned up. All up past our elbows in mystery water. I finished the pump and climbed out. I went and got out of my waders and washed up before turning the pump back on. I stuck around long enough to see that the water level was indeed going down, then went home to bed. The next day my arms itched like crazy and a bunch of tiny little bumps popped up. I put some poison ivy medicine on them and went to work. The other two guys who had their hands in the water with me, were there, but both were obviously miserable. Both had big rashes on their arms. Before it was all over they had nasty read raw looking rashes. One actually had bleeding sores on one arm. Mine itched for a couple of days. That was it.
    It seems that somehow some untreated cyanide water had gotten into the pit. Normally it was mixed with clorine water, which neutralizes it, but in this case that didn't happen. Maybe being a freak of nature has it's perks after all. LOL
    Last edited by GoodSamaritan; May 11th, 2005 at 08:52 PM.

GoodSamaritan, when you bleed, does it eat thru everything around you? Acid for blood?

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Sometimes I wonder.
    I took an indirect hit from a lightning strike when I was 12. Ever since then I have had wierd reactions to stuff. The funny thing is, One second I was watching the storm, the next I am laying on the ground with a strong coppery taste in my mouth, and an after image of the strike still visible when I close my eyes. Of course like any 12 year old under similar circumstances would, I ran straight to my Dad, and told him about it.
    Like any sane father of a 12 year old boy who says he just got hit by lightning but has not so much as a singed hair on his head, he didn't beleive me for a second. Shortly after that, my feet started breaking out badly. Eventually an allergist tracked it to the rubber in my sneakers. Within a year the aforementioned problem with my watches started cropping up. I never know how something is going to affect me.

For instance stuff like the cyanide water, didn't hurt me nearly as bad as the other guys. But for some strange reason Dial antibacterial soap tears me up. Novacaine at the dentist won't numb me. Lydocaine makes me sick. I went in for surgery a few years ago, and they gave me a shot in my I.V. to put me under. They came back later to get me and I was laying there still alert, albeit a bit loopy and funny feeling. The nurse left and came back with a doctor. It seems they had never seen anyone stay awake with whatever they gave me. The put something else in the I.V. and I was out in 30 seconds. LOL Go figure.

I have the titanium field watch from Orvis. Extremely thin and lightweight to the point I never think about it. Extremely bright, large numbers on a black face. Buffalo strap that seems to last forever. 10atm water resistant. I bought it at an outdoors store when I smashed the crystal on a Casio divers' watch when camping.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I know you guys will laugh at this but...

My favorite watch is an $18 digital "atomic" watch from Wal-Mart. I decided to try out an "atomic" watch and I LOVE it. It has been 100% accurate at all times. It is never even a fraction of a second off as far as I can tell.

Both it and my GPS stay in perfect synch. I REALLY like the fact that I am SURE I know exactly what time it is and I never have to worry about setting it.

Now, if I can just find an atomic watch (that I can afford) with a analog movement for when I need something more "stylish"....

I haven't seen a Luminox in the dark, but my Seiko has the best luminescence of any watch I've personally seen. After sitting all night inside a drawer, it'll still have enough luminescensce to be easily read in total darkness. It'll even luminate text if you hold it within an inch of the paper. I've had the watch for over a year now and it's just as bright now as it was when I bought it. If Luminox is better, then you won't need a flashlight at night. :P

Chris

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    mtnbkr.

the luminox watches are similar. they use the tritium luminesence, which doesn't need to be "charged" with regular light. they just illuminate. I know the luminox watches are guaranteed to light for 10 years.

I'm on my second luminox watch. the first time I fell for the allur of the "SEAL" watch...I was young, dumb, and gullible. but after I got used to wearing them, I love their product. The on complaint I had about the watch, was that I kept destroying the bands (I must have put 4 bands on the watch in 3 or 4 years). For the last three years, I've been wearing the titanium model. It's almost as light as the plastic stuff, water resistant to 200m (if i go that deep, i'm not coming back, so i dont' care), and extremely comfortable.

The only damage i've managed to do is break one of the locking tabs on the clasp (there are two of them) and scrath the band and body. The crystal is still in perfect shape because of the design of the watch.

When it comes down to it, watches are like firearms. Find the one that fits you the best :)
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Talking The Japanese Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    I haven't seen a Luminox in the dark, but my Seiko has the best luminescence of any watch I've personally seen. After sitting all night inside a drawer, it'll still have enough luminescensce to be easily read in total darkness. It'll even luminate text if you hold it within an inch of the paper. I've had the watch for over a year now and it's just as bright now as it was when I bought it. If Luminox is better, then you won't need a flashlight at night. :P

Chris
    I've had my Seiko (aka The Japanese ROLEX) since 1980 when I first went on active duty as a young Second Lieutenant in the army infantry at Fort Lewis Washington state. Cost me $110 at the PX. Durn thing has been dropped from choppers, run over by tanks in the desert, and drug thru the swamps and jungles all over the world. No complaints except that the luminescence has indeed faded over time. Even charging it with a SureFire light only causes it to glow momentarily. I may get a Luminox next time out. I just like the self winding feature of the Seiko. I once cut a cord of wood with a chainsaw while wearing it and I swear it ran 24/7 whether it was on my wrist or not for the next five years!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links