Watches

This is a discussion on Watches within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ExSoldier, Did your Seiko run fast also? My selfwinder dive watch gains about 2 minutes in 3 days. I read somewhere this was normal. The ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Watches

ExSoldier,

Did your Seiko run fast also? My selfwinder dive watch gains about 2 minutes in 3 days. I read somewhere this was normal. The luminescence of mine was weak from the gitgo also, but I came from a Luminox which is head and shoulders brighter than the Seiko, just had no DAY on the dial.

2. Remove Ads

Did your Seiko run fast also
    Not ExSoldier, but I'll answer since I have an automatic Seiko as well...

Mine runs a tad fast. It picks up about a minute a week, maybe less. One problem with automatics is that they run differently based on the person wearing them. There is an adjustment and I have the tools to adjust mine, but I don't have the patience to get any closer than I am now. The amount of movement in the adjustment lever to get rid of that extra 1m/week is too tiny for me to effectively "feel" while moving it.

I reset my watch about once a month.

Chris

Thanks mtnbkr, is there a website showing how to make the adjustment? I'd like to tune mine closer if it's not a huge hassle.

There is, but I can't remember where I saw it. It's pretty simple though. You'll need the tool to get the case back off (three pronged adjustable spanner). I found one online for $10, but later found that the local Harbor Freight has them for roughly the same price. I use a jeweler's screwdriver or similar tool to push the little lever to one side or the other. It's labled - + and you simply push the lever in the directly you want to adjust to (towards + if it's running slow, etc).

If you search online for something to the effect of "automatic seiko adjustment", you'll find a better writeup with pics.

Looky what I found: http://www.thepurists.com/watch/features/8ohms/7s26/ It doesn't talk about adjusting the mechanism, but it does go into detail about the guts of the watch.

Here's the lever: http://www.thepurists.com/watch/feat...spacer6399.jpg

It's specifically about the Black Monster version of my Orange Monster, but I doubt they're that different from other Seiko Automatic divers.

Chris

Question Fast Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Linch
    ExSoldier,

Did your Seiko run fast also? My selfwinder dive watch gains about 2 minutes in 3 days. I read somewhere this was normal. The luminescence of mine was weak from the gitgo also, but I came from a Luminox which is head and shoulders brighter than the Seiko, just had no DAY on the dial.
    My Seiko doesn't seem to run fast and when I was on active duty it hit zero Hour/Minute at the right time to run operations for training, but then I never required astronaut accuracy. It keep school time fine now, as well. I think I'll be saddened to leave this old warhorse behind for a luminox or anything else. It really has seen me through a great deal of "interesting times..."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thanks mtnbkr! I love my Pepsi Diver, but the time speed being closer will make it even better. With a Zulu band this watch is my favorite so far. Don't see a need for another unless I destroy it. Not to mention it will work after an EMP hit. :)

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Please forgive the rotten photography. The watch on the left is a black G-Shock and I wear it as my everyday watch for work. The center watch is a stainless steel and titanium, atomic networked G-Shock and I wear it for days at work that require a little more dressed-up appearance (as well as during my general off-duty hours). The far right is my Eco-Hawk and I wear it when I want to look spiffy and very civlized.
    Gonzo
    Attached Images
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Thumbs up Luminox

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    The Luminox is what I have been looking at for those occasions I don't really want to risk dinging the Rolex. I have heard nothing but good things about their watches.
    I found a SEAL Luminox watch for $150 here:http://www.luminoxwatchstore.com/ All watches listed are retail price but you can go to a special discount page by following directions on the site. All the watches have green tritium (they call it TRAZER) inserts on the watch face regardless of the color of the face. I'm getting the SEAL I (with Blue Face) for my anniversary present next week.

I have already swapped my Seiko to another band one of those old canvas and velcro babies I used to wear on active duty where there is a velcro tab to cover the watch face. That'll still be my daily watch for school, and keep the Luminox for weekends and other occasions.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

DC Founder
    Thanks, Ex, I saved that bookmark for next month when I order my birthday present
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Smile Got a Watch NOT LUMINOX

Well I found a very classy SEIKO (Kenetic) tonight in a jewelry store for 70% OFF. My wife bought it for me for my anniversary present. It's beautiful, with a neat metal band. Retail was $450 then the discount. I love the fact that there's no battery to replace. It doesn't have the luminosity of the Luminox, but it is much classier looking and worth more. I feel good about it. Got the wife a lovely Diamond & Onyx ring that was also in the 70% off sale case.

Ive found the Casio G-Shock to be a super tough watch for the money.

OD*
    ExSoldier,

You will love the SEIKO Kinetic, if keeping accurate time means anything to you. I dumped a Date-Just Rolex after two trips back to the factory because it could not keep the correct time. I cannot see having a time piece that won't keep time.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Does anyone have experience with the 5.11 watch? https://store.511tactical.com/index.asp?number=59209 I like the LARGE day/date display, but don't need the "shooter computer" stuff. I'm curious as to how heavy/bulky it is. I also wonder how obvious the 5.11 trademark is - I'm not real big on advertising.

SSKC
    Last edited by SSKC; July 25th, 2005 at 03:12 PM.

I wear Citizen watches myself. My every day wear I have had for 15 years and aside of band and battery changes, never a problem.

My divers watch is also a citizen and although it's far to bulky for everyday wear, I've never had a problem with it. It's been to 175 feet (not something I would recommend to any but experienced divers) and never so much as a drip inside the watch.

Lead Moderator
    Timex Ironman. First lasted 15 years. Towrd the end most of the face was loose. I could lift the front and see the innards. Tried drowning it swimming ect. Never did quit. Finally got a new 1 anyway.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links