I need/want a gun safe. Need inexpensive one. What kind? From where?

This is a discussion on I need/want a gun safe. Need inexpensive one. What kind? From where? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been hobbling along all these years without a gun safe. I don't feel it's quite responsible of me to have as many guns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need/want a gun safe. Need inexpensive one. What kind? From where?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Question I need/want a gun safe. Need inexpensive one. What kind? From where?

I have been hobbling along all these years without a gun safe.

I don't feel it's quite responsible of me to have as many guns as I have (more than a few, less than a lot) without having them secured in a safe that would at the very least deter theft or unauthorized use. (I live alone, and unauthorized use would pretty much entail theft, in my case.)

I can't afford to go with -- nor can my small place accommodate -- one of those big $1200 jobs you see at the gun shows.

I need something basic. I don't know features. Not even sure if I would want a combination lock or a keyed lock. I don't want anything electronic. Probably can't afford anything that would be fire-proof or fire-resistant. Need to hold in the vicinity of a dozen guns, combination of handguns and rifles.

Can you recommend something, estimate the price, and tell me where I can get it? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...4.2292627&sr=1

That's under $300, and gives a LOT of storage space. However, there's a lesser level of security, and no fire resistance.

You can spend a little bit more, and get something like this.

That one is $479, offers much better security, but still no fireproofing. The same design, in a fireproof model, is here for $569.

HANDGUNS ? LONG GUNS ? or BOTH ?
    -Tin Bender-

"Forgive your enemies , but never forget their names."
    ----J.F.K.----

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Here is the one I just got from Sams, It was $600 picked up, it is fire rated, and roomy.

Winchester Gun Safe @ Sam's
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    Try this, I have one and really like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-16-Gun-C...1745524&sr=8-3
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

This past x-mas at Lowes, they had an 8 cubic foot safe for right around $300. Combination lock, with real solid steel bolts. Came with bolts to secure to flooring. Holds 14 rifles, has a "hidden floor", and comes with a mini keyed safe inside that I use for ammo. It wieghs 400 pounds. Is it a great safe? I don't know if it will keep a determined thief out, but it will stay bolted to the house! Oh, it's not fire proof, but we have one of those mini fire safes inside the big safe for important papers and such.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Holy moly 400 pounds?! Wow. But I guess you want to make it as heavy as you can manage, as extra deterrence against someone just carting it off with all its contents.

Thanks for all the information, guys. I'll sort through it, and start saving the funds. Eventually I'll have a gun safe and be doing it right!

Administrator

Check Out Zanotti Armor - Here Is The Link

Very good construction.

Click Here For Zanotti Armor
    http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

It's engineered to be taken apart from the INSIDE.
    Not from the outside.

One person can move it alone - one section at a time.

So you can put it upstairs or take it with you when you move.

I believe it still weighs about 600 pounds assembled.
    My doors each weigh 180 pounds & they are the heaviest sections.
    My two are earlier versions made by DETROIT BULLET TRAP CORP but, I believe DTB was sold to Zanotti Armor.

View the brochure it's a pdf file but, that will show you the construction.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Check out Browing Compact Safes...I have one and it is perfect for small places...

Approx...25" x 25" x 30"...was about $500...SOLID...and no one is going to walk away with it...took two men and a dog to get it into our hide-a-way space..weighs about 350-400#'s empty...can be bolted to floor...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Check out Browing Compact Safes...I have one and it is perfect for small places...

Approx...25" x 25" x 30"...was about $500...SOLID...and no one is going to walk away with it...took two men and a dog to get it into our hide-a-way space..weighs about 350-400#'s empty...can be bolted to floor...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    I've got to ask. What did the dog do? Supervise?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Lickey,

I was thinking the same thing.

And to everyone else, thanks for the info, I'm considering the same problem.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

While not fire proof nor super secure, I've been thinking about getting a couple of these and putting them in the back of a closet (I figure "hidden" will increase the security and make up for the lack of safe-like strength).

http://www.vlineind.com/html/closet_vault.html

If you have a Bass Pro or Cabelas in your area and if you are patient you can watch for a scratch and dent in their outlet/return areas.

I got a redhead fireproof safe that usally goes for 575 when its on sale, for only 350 at the outlet, just had some scrapes on the paint but that didn't matter to me.

Nice thing about it was I got a fireproof safe for not much more than the sheet metal cabinet above.

Good luck!

The Dog?

Actually, the dog was my 125# Rhodesian Ridgeback...he kept an eye on the safe movers...they were very cautious!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This past Christmas, my wife and I got this safe as a gift from her father.

It's made by Sentry and, according to them will hold 7-14 guns (they don't specify long guns v. handguns). The interior is modular so you can shift the shelving around or remove some/all of it as you seen fit. It's also got two small compartments in the floor and comes with an anchor kit for securing the safe to the floor or wall. It's got a combination lock, internal door hinges, and a small locking interior cabinet. It weighs about 350lbs, so no one will be carrying it away with ease, but it's got a small enough footprint that it fits easily in bedroom closet. I don't know where my father in law got the safe, but I've since seen them at Lowes for just less than $400.

To be honest, I don't know diddly about safes but this one seems pretty nice to me. It's the first safe I've ever owned and WAY overkill for the time being since we only have two Glocks in the house.

The only problem I see is that I now have this compelling urge to fill it up with more guns....

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links