Gun lube??

This is a discussion on Gun lube?? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What kind of gun lubes do you all use? Just lookin to see what all is out there...also maybe a good all-purpose cleaner....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun lube??

Gun lube??

What kind of gun lubes do you all use? Just lookin to see what all is out there...also maybe a good all-purpose cleaner.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

2. Remove Ads

I use to use Hoppes and remington oil, but later switched to CLP for just about everything. After having used CLP for years, I've noticed that it clumps up and separates and I really don't like the idea of wondering if I shook it well enough.

I'm heading off to some carbine classes in the next few months and I'll probable find out if my gun lubrication is good enough. I've started to use grease on firearms more than before, mostly because I plan on using some of my guns (FALs and AKs) under harsher conditions and high rates of fire. I'm concerned about wear and tear as much as reliability.

These days, I use mostly Militec.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'm an oddball... I use three different viscosities of synthetic from the same manufacturer. One is a grease, and the other two are lighter oils. While they're not marketed for firearms use (actually, for musical instruments), they work wonderfully. The grease keeps rails well protected even through prolonged range sessions, and the oils don't gum up - ever. They're pretty much designed to have a drop or two applied to a pivot rod on a saxophone key and then not be cleaned or disassembled for a year, and still do their job.

BreakFree clp as a light oil/ rust protection
    Mill com TW25b grease on all the major parts, barrel, rails, slide, etc.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

MILITEC-1. It's the shiznit!
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

I also use Miltec and sometimes BreakFree CLP as well. :)
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I use Mil-Comm Products on all of my guns.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

CLP/Militec
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

FP-10
    available at Brownells and others

Google FP-10. Really interesting articles about it.

Militec-1 grease and oil, with CLP for normal cleaning, others for harsher cleaning (rarely needed).

For years, I used the Wilson gun lube (grease) and was very pleased. It kept in place, kept things slick and usable. Came off easily when cleaned.

Grease won't drip onto clothing or leather nearly as easily as oils. Better for a carry weapon. So, that's my primary.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

i use Militec exclusively for all my guns. Works for me in all kinds of weather.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-nut View Post
    FP-10
    available at Brownells and others

Google FP-10. Really interesting articles about it.
    I used FP-10 some years back and drifted away from it, but lately that's what I've been using.

I'm looking forward to reading the articles.

This is interesting:
    http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/fp10.htm

Shooters Choice FP-10 Lubricant Elite
    The additive MT-10 Metal Treatment dramatically increases lubricity between moving parts, with no build-up or changes in tolerance. The temperature operating range of this gun cleaning supply is -76 degrees Fahrenheit to + 500 degrees Fahrenheit. 4 oz. (with applicator spout)
    500°F !!!!

and there's this (if true) that is most impressive:

FP-10 LUBRICANT ELITE:
    Designed and Formulated for the Professional Armorer and Serious Sportsman

Designed for today's high-tech firearms, Shooter's Choice FP-10 Lubricant Elite will absolutely reduce friction and wear, protect against metal damage and eliminate most malfunctions better than any other lubricant on the market.

Originated by Muscle Products Corporation of Butler, PA, FP-10 Lubricant Elite features the advanced additive MT-10, which dramatically increases lubricity between metal surfaces and moving parts with no build-up or changes in tolerances. Made of unique petrochemical ingredients and no synthetics, FP-10 Lubricant Elite has a temperature range of -76 degrees to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

In the laboratory and in the field FP-10 Lubricant Elite has beaten all competitive brands by wide margins.

FP-10 LUBRICANT ELITE HEADS THE FIELD:
    Recoil stress and wear from extreme pressure caused by ignition and cycling are the two most detrimental forces at work in a firearm. Very few lubricants can offer the necessary film strength needed to even minimize wear to acceptable levels.

In many firearms this fact is expressed by the manufacturer's service life, which varies with caliber, factory load and materials used in manufacturing. The data is also gained from actual test firings using lubricants authorized by the government in accordance with federal testing.

tested under these circumstances, Shooter's Choice FP-10 Lubricant Elite has been found to be the only lubricant that can enormously exceed these requirements and easily double, if not triple, the actual service life of the weapon due to its ability to virtually eliminate wear and buffer shock.

FP-10 OUTPERFORMS ALL COMPETITORS:
    More than 30 of the top-selling firearms lubricants on the market were recently tested under controlled laboratory conditions. Each was tested for 60 seconds under 266.5 pound of roll to ring pressure to determine how well they protected against wear.

The method of measurement devised to indicate wear consisted of measuring the length and width of a wear mark on the metal each product protected. Those dimenstions were then multiplied by 1,000 to get an index number.

Shooter Choice FP-10 Lubricant Elite easily outperformed everything on the market by a substantial margin. The wear marks found when FP-10 was used earned a wear index of .9 compared the others, which ranged from 3.2 to 102.9.

FP-10 LUBRICANT ELITE IS THE ANSWER FOR STAINLESS STEEL:
    Galling and excessive wear have become major problems in the firearms industry with the increased use of stainless steel for barrels and receivers. The high chromium content gives stainless steel a much softer nature and makes it more susceptible to wear.

But Shooter's Choice FP-10 Lubricant Elite is the only proven solution to the problem of galling and excessive wear in stainless steel. FP-10's reaction to stainless has revolutionized the industry to where those problems are virtually non-existent when the Shooter's Choice product is used.

Tightly fitted (accurized) guns are now being built entirely of stainless steel and can be fit with tolerances of less than .003 inches (slide to frame fit) without any danger of galling or faulty operation when using FP-10 as the lubricating oil.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

1943 - 2009
    I use the tried and true Hoppe's #9 for my cleaning chores, Wilson's grease and oil for lube applications.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Where do you guys get that Militec? I'd rather get it locally than order it. Sounds like good stuff.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links