Ultimate trauma kit

This is a discussion on Ultimate trauma kit within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Couldn't find the post where we were discussing first aid kits. This is down and dirty minimalist. Needle is for chest decompressions. http://www.onesourcetactical.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=769 H&H Tuxedo ...

Thread: Ultimate trauma kit

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Ultimate trauma kit

Couldn't find the post where we were discussing first aid kits.

This is down and dirty minimalist.

Needle is for chest decompressions.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=769

H&H Tuxedo Trauma Kit

Our Catastrophic Trauma Kit is one of our best selling products. It is, however, a big kit suitable for the side pocket of a Bug Out Bag, or for a BDU Pocket. It is hard to carry around with you daily if your business attire precludes dressing like a soldier. Enter the Tuxedo Kit. This kit was developed by our supplier for a group of operatives that needed high level concealable gear. Hence the name Tuxedo Kit. It is small enough to stash into the inside pocket of a parka or, well, a tuxedo. Yet, it is also complete enough to save your life.

This CT Kit contains

(1) Thin Cinch Tight Compression Bandage - Cinch Tight is designed for all types of emergency trauma, from serious contusions and fractures to severe bleeding, applied one-handed and used as a compression bandage, sling or a simple elastic wrap.

(1) Nasopharyngeal Airway

(1) 14 ga. x 3 1/4" Catheter Sterile

(1) Alcohol Prep Pad - 70% Isopropyl, Medium

(1) Set N-Dex Nitrile Gloves

This is all packaged and vacuum sealed into a 6 1/2" X 4" package
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, minimalist. I'd hardly call it "ultimate." After the first time I went backpacking with a camera bag size 1st aid kit, and ended up cursing the weight of every bandaid, I consolidated.

Now whenever I go out (my whole family has one of these) I have a little kit that fits in a ziplock bag. My kit actually doubles up on a few item, but still fits in the bag, and I do need to get some one handed trauma dressing and/or quikclot. These were intended to be part of a survival kit in case I crashed in an airplane, but I use it for everything.

1 or 2 rolls of gauze
    5x9 trauma pad
    2x2 and 4x4s
    bandaids
    little packets of:
    -antibiotic ointment
    -aspirin
    -tylenol
    -ibuprophen
    -bug repellant
    -sunscreen wipe

maybe a few things I can't recall off the top. I figure if Were stranded in the woods and can't do it with this kit, someone is pretty screwed.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I make sure to have one of these in my kit when I hike too.
    Every time I hike I always see a few Rattlesnakes:

Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Couldn't find the post where we were discussing first aid kits.

This is down and dirty minimalist.

Needle is for chest decompressions.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=769

H&H Tuxedo Trauma Kit

Our Catastrophic Trauma Kit is one of our best selling products. It is, however, a big kit suitable for the side pocket of a Bug Out Bag, or for a BDU Pocket. It is hard to carry around with you daily if your business attire precludes dressing like a soldier. Enter the Tuxedo Kit. This kit was developed by our supplier for a group of operatives that needed high level concealable gear. Hence the name Tuxedo Kit. It is small enough to stash into the inside pocket of a parka or, well, a tuxedo. Yet, it is also complete enough to save your life.

This CT Kit contains

(1) Thin Cinch Tight Compression Bandage - Cinch Tight is designed for all types of emergency trauma, from serious contusions and fractures to severe bleeding, applied one-handed and used as a compression bandage, sling or a simple elastic wrap.

(1) Nasopharyngeal Airway

(1) 14 ga. x 3 1/4" Catheter Sterile

(1) Alcohol Prep Pad - 70% Isopropyl, Medium

(1) Set N-Dex Nitrile Gloves

This is all packaged and vacuum sealed into a 6 1/2" X 4" package
    Sounds like it will do the job but I wouldn't call it ultimate by any means.
    Maybe basic....or portable. Not ultimate.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    Sounds like it will do the job but I wouldn't call it ultimate by any means.
    Maybe basic....or portable. Not ultimate.
    It has the items to keep one's leaking arse alive. Bandaging can be a ripped shirt. "Ultimate" in the sense, that there really isn't much out there to compare it to. Without the BOK, you are DRT,with a couple of core-body shots. (Get enough acronyms in there?)

You know what sounds crazy but can save your life.

Ladies Tampons.

If you get a few bullet holes in you, there is nothing better than some Tampons (with no applicator) to stop the bleeding.

They have some type of clotting mechanism in them also.
    OB seem to be the best because they are small and easy to put in and take out.

Now, I know there are going to be some members on here who think they are "real Men" and "Tough Guys" who will laugh at what I just typed.

But there are many IDF Soldiers and US SPEC OP guys that carry OB Tampons in their kits.

Remeber, a "Real Man" is a guy who gets the job done in the most efficient manner, with the most efficient tools.

An Ego shouldnt get in the way of saving ones life or your own.

So, go to your wifes/GF's little box kept under the bathroom sink and grab yourself a few.

Nobody's looking.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post

Ladies Tampons.

If you get a few bullet holes in you, there is nothing better than some Tampons (with no applicator) to stop the bleeding.

Now, I know there are going to be some members on here who think they are "real Men" and "Tough Guys" who will laugh at what I just typed.

But there are many IDF Soldiers and US SPEC OP guys that carry OB Tampons in their kits.

Remeber, a "Real Man" is a guy who gets the job done in the most efficient manner, with the most efficient tools.

So, go to your wifes/GF's little box kept under the bathroom sink and grab yourself a few.

Nobody's looking.
    I agree with this concept. However, I carry a kit with maxipads and duct tape with a few other small items.

I also made a kit like this for my wife. She is a Middle School teacher and if someone starts shooting up the place she has something to start plugging holes with until the authorities arrive..
    "Use enough gun." - Robert Ruark

Pierce

"Fear is what keeps you alive but panic is what kills you" - Leo

"At contact distances, if you can't shoot him, hit him...Nothing says 'TAP' can't be accomplished by smashing the magazine into his face." - Gomez

TRAMPLE THE WEAK AND HURDLE THE DEAD

Ladies Tampons.

They have some type of clotting mechanism in them also.OB seem to be the best because they are small and easy to put in and take out.
    Not a terrible idea, with the following caveats:
    1) they do not have a clotting agent, just good ol' cotton & maybe some poly-type filler too.
    2) Like the needle thoracotomy, you need to have some knowledge, before you start sticking things in holes that aren't supposed to be there.

By and large, most holes are going to be smaller than most tampons. Anything that bleeds seriously is probably going to be better served by a trauma dressing and direct pressure than insertion of packing material (again, talking bullet wound, not blast-injuries). Without more than "first-aid" training, plugging a hole is more likely to internalize bloodloss to a degree beyond the responder's ability to assess. Surgeons will also have to put some effort in getting the plug out, vs peeling back a bandage and deciding if the wound needs to be opened.

Tampons can be applied, but, again, like the NP airway and decompression needle, you need to know more than, "plug the hole!"

Ladies Tampons.

Nobody's looking.
    Funny. I've heard that before and believe it. My first year Patrol and Accident Investigations Professor told us that in class and about 3/4 of the class busted up.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I've got a basic gunshot kit and it's got most of the things listed, PLUS some Qwikclot sponges.

Maxi pads would be a better option than a tampon, you dont want to go stuffing things inside of a wound. You are just asking for all kinda of problems by doing something like that, it is going to drive dirt and God knows what else into the hole. Tampons have no clotting agent they are just a tightly packed cotton that has a good absorption ratio. Besides you are better off sticking to things that are produced to actually treat this type of injury.
    Last edited by Teak; June 18th, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
    Pierce

"Fear is what keeps you alive but panic is what kills you" - Leo

"At contact distances, if you can't shoot him, hit him...Nothing says 'TAP' can't be accomplished by smashing the magazine into his face." - Gomez

TRAMPLE THE WEAK AND HURDLE THE DEAD

Links