Which would be the better weapon light? - Page 2

Which would be the better weapon light?

This is a discussion on Which would be the better weapon light? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alien Nation, If one-handed shooting were faster than two-handed, all the top shooters would be shooting one-handed. One-hand shooting may be faster in some scenarios, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Moderator
    Alien Nation,

If one-handed shooting were faster than two-handed, all the top shooters would be shooting one-handed. One-hand shooting may be faster in some scenarios, but one-hand shooting usually suggests that there wasn't time to attain a two-hand grip. But with a WML, you are already in a two-hand grip. It's just index and fire.

If I'm confronting a threat, I don't usually get to control the distance, hence the same method I use up close must be accurate and fast at 20 feet.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

[QUOTE=Alien Nation;404346]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    That's too slow and one-hand shooting is not as accurate and fast as two hands.
    QUOTE]

I agree with your post except for this part, sort of. It is more accurate to use two hands. The accuracy requred for CQB is attainable with one hand and just as fast if not faster if, I said if a person practices and trains for it. I mean no offense to any one but carrying or using a handgun without training to use one hand is cheating your self out of an extremely valuable tool. It is likely you may only be able to use one hand for allot of various reasons. How likely? Impossible to tell thats why we train.

As far as which is better, handheld and weapon mount or just weapon mount? To me that depends on the level of training and mindset.

Personally I am not willing to take the chance it'a family member in front of my gun. I use a small 10 lumen light for searching and a 45 lumen light on my shotgun or pistol.(for now, soon to be 380L for long guns and 80L for pistol!).

I can always throw the small light at an opponent as a distractionary measure or just drop it. It's not bright enough to be used to blind someone so it can't be used against me. As far as dropping it and illuminating myself? First off the BG would have to contend with the 45 lumen light in his face and if I've dropped the hand held it's because I'm already engaged with the BG.

I think there are couple things wrong with your statement. While people CAN shoot one hand un-supported very well, you will NEVER be better than when your using two hands.

At a recent CQB training course, we often times had to make head shots at over 15yds while on the move. I don't know many people that would want to do this in a hostage scenario with only one hand.

In this same class, we also tested the old theory that a light will blind the bad guy and he won't be able to respond. So the instructors put a SF G2 (65 Lumens) in the head of a target and positioned the shooter at about 10 feet from it. The shooters eyes were closed and on the command, they would open their eyes and put 5 rounds on target as fast as they could. All five rounds were delivered without hesitation center mass.

Your flashlight is a tool, not a weapon.

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com

I agree with both of you that pretty much every body will shoot better with two hands. That doesn't mean no one can shoot perfectly adiquate with one. As far as the top shooters? Thier steel popper or cardboard targets don't shoot back. Often the weak side hand may need to be used to counter balance you while moving and shooting. If a person hasn't been trained for it their accuracy will definitely fall apart.

It is more accurate to use two hands. The accuracy requred for CQB is attainable with one hand and just as fast if not faster if, I said if a person practices and trains for it.
    This was taken from my post. Inside 7 yards or so my accuracy from two hands isn't much different than one hand.

At a recent CQB training course, we often times had to make head shots at over 15yds while on the move. I don't know many people that would want to do this in a hostage scenario with only one hand.
    I've never met anyone who can make reliable head shots while moving (especially on a hostage scenario target) at 15 yards(almost 50 feet) at all.
    Making a crainial hit in a hostage scenario at that distance is risky standing still. I question the credibility of the place you trained. I apologise if I offend. It's not my intention.
    I didn't claim the light to be the weapon. It will definitely cause the BG to have a more difficult time. By the way the G2's light isn't in the same class as the lights I mentioned in the original thread. They are not only brighter but have a higher quality beam.

I'm going to request the mods close this as it has gotten far from the original posts subject.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links